Softball Update

2,840 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by SeenNotHeard
gigum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is an old saying that no news is good news but that is not always the case. As a longtime fan of women's softball, I come to this board each day hoping for some insight in to our upcoming season but
each day I leave disappointed with the feeling that there is little excitement about our program.

While I admire and respect Coach Evans, the lack of recruiting a standout pitcher remains our Achilles's
heel. Hopefully our new coach Gerry Glasco will help in recruitment and certainly building a new SEC ready stadium won't hurt.

Am I to accept the manage expectations concept for this season?
aggiebrad94
AG
quote:
recruiting a standout pitcher
Serious question, how many are out there each year?
Belton Ag
AG
We have to wait another year before Sam Show makes her way to campus. She has the potential to be that dominant pitcher we've been waiting for.

Hopefully platoon pitching this year will carry us into the NCAA tournament. This has the potential to be a very tough year for the Ags.

On a bright note, I really like this crop of freshmen coming in this year, and I think Coach Glasco will have a tremendously positive impact on the program. I hated him when he was at UGA (just kidding), but I'm glad he's our coach now.
turboboost
AG
I just can't wait to see the ladies take the field! GO AGGIES
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
recruiting a standout pitcher
Serious question, how many are out there each year?

Not many. And with the very high level of softball being played by D-1 programs in this state, there's tough competition to get those pitchers to come to A&M - especially with the dump of a stadium and crappy facilities we have compared to the rest of the SEC and our in state rivals.
88agswin
AG
I keep telling my niece that she would look great in Maroon and White. She is only an 8th grader but she pitches and plays of for the Bat Busters program. She has been hitting 60 mph on the radar gun already and from what I've been told by friends who played college softball, that is pretty impressive given her age.

I am pushing her to get to one of the A&M camps so the coaches can see her.
BrokenLFarms
S
First off, Two of AGGIE Softball's finest are getting inducted into the Texas A&M Sports Hall of Fame this weekend, Congrats Ladies!!
Amanda Scarborough and Megan Gibson

Regarding this upcoming season, I truly believe that until we hire a pitching coach (harder to do in softball with the limit of paid assistants allowed on staff) we will struggle both in recruiting and developing our pitchers.

@88agswin
Have your niece check out packageddeal.com
Attending one or more of their clinics will help her development as well as get her name out there as Amanda, Jen, Morgan and Katie are really connected in the softball world.

gigem92
AG
This year's team has only been practicing for a week. The Fall season for the Aggies started later than most, hence the reason you haven't heard much about the team so far. There are a lot of new faces this season, which happens when you graduate 6 starters.

I think the addition of coach Glasco is going to bring a lot to the team, both in terms of recruiting and on the field. He was a great addition for the team.

If you want to get a look at the new team, they start their Fall games on Wednesday at 5 p.m. against Blinn. All of the Aggies' Fall games are at home this season and if you can't make it, you can listen to select games on ZoneHD and www.radioaggieland.com. Unfortunately with high school football still going on and other scheduling issues, we can't broadcast all of the games.

Below is the entire Fall schedule, noting the games that will be broadcast.
2014 AGGIE SOFTBALL FALL SCHEDULE

Wed. Oct. 29 Blinn College (ZoneHD) 5 p.m.
Wed. Nov. 5 Tyler JC (ZoneHD) 4 & 6 p.m.
Sat. Nov. 8 Texas Tech, 2 & 4 p.m.
Tue. Nov. 11 Blinn College 5 p.m.
Fri. Nov. 14 Galveston College 4 & 6 p.m.
Mon. Nov. 17 Maroon & Series Game 1 (ZoneHD) TBD
Tue. Nov. 18 Maroon & White Series Game 2 (ZoneHD) TBD
Wed. Nov. 19 Maroon & White Series Game 3 (ZoneHD) TBD
Thu. Nov. 20 Maroon & White Series Game 4, if necessary (ZoneHD) TBD
Fri. Nov. 21 Maroon & White Series Game 5, if necessary TBD
88agswin
AG
Broken: thanks for the link. I forwarded it to her mom and dad and they are going to look into that. I think it is ironic because I went to her games this weekend and she struggled by her standards and the coaches and he pretty much told her that.

I told her mom that she will have to learn the mental toughness side of the game as well as the physical part of it and that the first time she has a bad outing in college there will be fans saying she was a wasted scholarship, making fun of her etc. and she has to learn to tune all of that out to be a great player.

I told her that what these four ladies are doing would be great experience, plus hopefully it would give her an avenue to email or communicate in her future years in high school about what those 4 went through during the growing pains.
SeenNotHeard
AG
First fall game is tonight! Free admission. Come show some support and catch the freshmen in action.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
First fall game is tonight! Free admission. Come show some support and catch the freshmen in action.
We'll be there, kiddos and all. Hopefully we get to watch the game and not have to chase the little one around. If you see an exhausted guy chasing a 2 year old around the stands, you'll know that's me.
nosoupforyou
AG
Quick question - i remember reading about an A&M softball commit that was batting .800 for the season or something crazy like that? from somewhere in east Houston, if I recall... is she on the team now or next year?
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oezgsPJs.jpg[/IMG]
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Quick question - i remember reading about an A&M softball commit that was batting .800 for the season or something crazy like that? from somewhere in east Houston, if I recall... is she on the team now or next year?
Tori Vidales. She is on the team and in her first career at bat Wednesday she blasted a towering two or three run shot. She's going to be a good one.
SeenNotHeard
AG
Her bomb went OVER the net in left field and landed in the middle of the street. Bright future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.