Hey Hop or Scott ... What about baseballer Kenny Hill?

9,718 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Doubleday
rrtodds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From the interview with Kenny's dad during the South Carolina game last week, any chance seeing Kenny play some Aggie Baseball? Was he a player in high school?
Sam75
dirkjones
AG
Played 3rd base his senior year for Southlake. Only batted .481 that year though. 6 doubles, 3 triples, 4 home runs and 26 rbis.
carolinaag1
AG
Kenny was asked this question last night at the QB club. He said he would consider playing - and then clarified with depending on how the season goes and how the discussion went with Sumlin and Spavital. Spav never commented, but shook his head no. I am sure they do not want their QB playing baseball. And I am not sure he could just come in and outplay the current roster for a starting spot at 3rd or in LF.
MMantle
AG
From what I remember from last year, 3rd base and LF were the 2 most unsettled positions on the team, we struggled getting any kind of productivity / consistency from the guys we put out there.

i.e., Based on the way we finished last year, 3B and LF would be the two positions where we need the most help, where Kenny might have the most opportunity.

I admit i'm not familiar with the incoming players, the new guys we've yet to see. Do we have a couple of studs that will fill those positions?
Doubleday
Saw him play bb several times...not that great of a third baseman. Oddly enough his arm is not great. Sometimes football throwing skills don't translate to the diamond.
carolinaag1
AG
Bob
I know you know this....
I dont believe that you can "out athlete" in baseball. Repetition is key, and the guys on the roster are at it every day. I just dont see how someone can walk in after not taking live pitches and hit any better than what we have. Just my opinion. Maybe you can shed more light on this than I can
dirkjones
AG
Bo Jackson did it pretty well and that is what these athletes would try to emulate, ie Kenny Hill and Kyler Murray. Would be great to see them try and to succeed.
jkag89
Bo had the talent to have earned his way to Cooperstown if his football injury did not seriously shorten his MLB career and it must be noted he had only one exceptional season playing baseball for Auburn.

Also not certain if the football side of things would like their starting QB splitting time between the diamond and spring football.
dirkjones
AG
Evidently Spav already said no to Hill. Things may be different with Murray since I believe he wanted insurance that he could play both before committing.
carolinaag1
AG
Using Bo Jackson as a litmus is pretty lofty. Not sure how many athletes are in his range

would be interesting to see if he could compete and push the other players regardless
Tex100
AG
Extra difficult for a QB to miss spring for baseball .

I know Elway did it over 30 years ago.
jkag89
quote:
Extra difficult for a QB to miss spring for baseball .

I know Elway did it over 30 years ago.
Little easier to work around the spring football schedule as a weekend starter than as an everyday player. Jeff Granger did it at A&M but I think many blamed his obvious focus on baseball from him developing to his potential on the gridiron.
Memphis 7
quote:
Evidently Spav already said no to Hill. Things may be different with Murray since I believe he wanted insurance that he could play both before committing.
If Kenny keeps playing well, that decision is no longer Spav's or Sumlin's.

McCoveysCove
Amen tothat
MMantle
AG
Carolina-

We differ a bit on that, it's my opinion that additional reps, no matter how many, can't make an average hitter significantly better.

I played with a couple of guys (Long, Elmendorf) who didn't have any problem playing both sports but, admittedly, they weren't quarterbacks.

I asked the question at a 2013 Dugout Club meeting , "Will Kenny Hill play baseball?"

I remember the answer being a very positive 'yes', almost as if that condition was part of his agreeing to come to A&M,, but I may have been reading between the lines there, not sure, it's been a while.

However, I've been assuming that Kenny was an exceptional baseball talent, I'll defer to Doubleday's observation on that, he's seen Kenny play.

That being said, if Kenny could stop a ground ball (3B), or chase down a flyball (LF), have a reasonable on-base percentage, steal a base every now and then, he'd be an upgrade over what we had at those 2 positions last year.
jkag89
quote:
I played with a couple of guys (Long, Elmendorf) who didn't have any problem playing both sports but, admittedly, they weren't quarterbacks.
They also played about 25-30 fewer games back in the late '60s early '70s than they do now. I also don't know how much emphasis they put on spring football then compared to today. Don't get me wrong, if Trill can make a significant contribution to the baseball team with little or no detriment in his football performance, I would love him playing at Olsen.
twk
AG
If Kenny has the kind of year we're all hoping for in football, having him play baseball in the spring might not be a bad deal for Sumlin. It might keep Kyle Allen around for another year (if he gets more snaps in Spring practice) and it will be an incentive for other dual sport guys to come to A&M. Of course, that's only true if Kenny can make a significant contribution in baseball--there's no way he's missing football activities to sit on the bench at Olsen--and that's never a given.
Hop
Staff
AG
Everything I've heard suggests that Kenny is serious about playing baseball in the spring. As others have said, there will be a lot o pressure to focus on football if Kyle Allen is nipping at his heels. Also, if he tries to double dip in the spring, it will be hard for Childress to quickly bump-up Hill to the starting lineup since he won;t go through fall ball unless Hill can show immediately he's a stud.
RGLAG85
AG
Not trying to contradict Doubleday but I've had the opportunity to watch Kenny for two years as he played with my son on varsity. Kenny has incredible hands and a fearless approach at third base. He often wow'd you with some of the plays he'd make. He has an above average arm that is more than adequate to make any throw across the infield. As expected, Kenny was a true leader and fearless competitor, always calm in every pressure situation. Since baseball is such a game of repetition, even though he is incredibly athletic, I think just picking up the game would be a challenge. But I do think he's a candidate that could.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Carolina-

We differ a bit on that, it's my opinion that additional reps, no matter how many, can't make an average hitter significantly better.
I think the concern at this point, and this how I read Carolina's post, has to be more about a lack of reps for Kenny, right than other "average" guys getting lots of reps? A lack of reps will make nearly any level of hitter suffer.

They may be "average" but its hard to be average without reps. Sometimes guys can do it, but its rare and really damn hard to do.
carolinaag1
AG
That is exactly what I was trying to say. I cannot believe that a player who hasnt seen live pitching in at least two years can come and hit better than a player who his every day. You may not be able to make a great hitter with practice, but without it you can surely regress. All due respect Bob. You know more baseball than I ever will
MMantle
AG
I do believe that you can 'out athlete' in baseball, I believe that good hitters are born, they're not made, no matter how often the average guy gets in the cage, he's not going to get significantly better, he may improve a bit, but he won't turn into a Brodie Greene.

I'm not assuming that Kenny could contribute without any reps, certainly don't think that, he'd have to be able to spend significant time at Olsen, but perhaps not as much as most, all this is assuming Kenny has the innate baseball / hitting skills of an exceptional talent, which was my basic assumption from the start.

If he's only an average talent / hitter, all of this is a moot point.

Carolina, you give me too much credit, I'm like you, an Aggie baseball fan, that's it.
turboboost
AG
Despite his recent decline in football play, he would be an asset to baseball!
Signel
AG
He is serious about it.
OnlyForNow
AG
With his known off the field issues I wouldn't let him play. I imagine since Childress is much more of an authoritian to his team than Sumlin, Kenny's stchick wouldn't fly.
McGibblets
AG
I'm sure that before any decision is made, Sumlin and Childress would have a long discussion. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out and if he gets a chance to play baseball here
Sandman98
AG
quote:
With his known off the field issues I wouldn't let him play. I imagine since Childress is much more of an authoritian to his team than Sumlin, Kenny's stchick wouldn't fly.
This.
OnlyForNow
AG
Although the baseball boys might do him some good if he does have serious off the field issues.

Not that none of the baseball guys go out and drink, it does seem like they as a group are much more in control of their personal lives. Don't remember when Childress had to suspend one for under age drinking, or one that made the Internets for getting so drunk at a bar they got thrown out and then fell into a planter...
Foxo
AG
Lots of biblical tweets come from the baseball team. I know Johnson was quite religious. Don't know about Childress.
dirkjones
AG
So the baseball players don't go out and drink? Think they would be rolling if they read Texags. I've heard that Childress is very against drinking and driving, players are told to look after each other and I believe they do a good job of this. Still at least 2 dwi arrest in the last 4 years
OnlyForNow
AG
My post was meant to say that, imbsure some of the players drink, it is college after all; however I do know of any getting thrown out of bars and passing out in a potted plant.

I also think that Childress would put a stop to those kind of shinnanagans.

Who got arrested for a dwi in the past four years?
TXM Pride
No need to name names.. I could do so quite easily.. The reason you don't hear of these things is because baseball isn't in the forefront of the sports media like football is. I will agree that as a whole the baseball team is "better behaved".. But there are factors like size of the roster as well as socioeconomic background that play a part in that..

However, I could tell plenty of stories about our guys that wouldn't exactly paint them in a positive manner. Boys will be boys and yes it is college..

I'm pulling for Kenny because he is a friend as well. He obviously needs to get his head right, and figure out some direction for his future. Maybe baseball would do him some good. Stay busy, and what not.
OnlyForNow
AG
Kenny is in the same boat, actually a hell of a lot nicer one probably, socioeconomically, than most of the baseball players are in. Rest of the team, I'll give you that but what a crux to fall back on. I'm a stoner/drunk because I grew up poor? Give me a break.
TXM Pride
Not arguing Kenny didn't come from a good home.. Bc he did. And his parents are good people. He's a 19 year old kid who needs to make some life changes and get things straight. A lot of times people conform to the crowd they run with.. Maybe spending some time around the baseball field will change things for him. Whether or not that will happen, who knows..

But like I said before, no matter where these kids come from mistakes will happen. Unfortunately for Kenny the whole world here's about them. Incidents involving baseball players hasn't been public knowledge. As a whole the teams lately have been filled with "straight laced" guys.. RCs best teams (CWS team and several years prior to that where they were making supers every year) had the "rough around the edges" guys. Not that they were bad guys by any means, they were just a little more rowdy away from Olsen.. He'll they were more rowdy on Olsen. Fun teams to watch and got the Ws.
dirkjones
AG
You are probably right about the rowdy TXM. Maybe that is what has been missing at Olsen? Seems like the few rowdy guys we have had over the last few years either sat out a year for suspension or was eventually ran off. Wouldn't mind seeing a little more attitude on the baseball field.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.