2015 Baseball Schedule

6,479 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by W
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think there was some discussion about this a few weeks back, but I can't find a thread about it and I'm too lazy to do a whole bunch of searching. Anyway, what do we know about the 2015 baseball schedule? Are there many details (rumors?) floating around out there? I know we know we'll be in the Minute Maid Classic in Houston March 6-8 and it looks like we'll play Baylor, Houston and Nebraska (yawn...)

Do we know anything else about the schedule? TIA

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. – Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
W
AG
I suppose the 2 big questions...

is Fresno returning the trip to BBP?

which East division opponents are coming to BBP?

South Carolina or Vanderbilt should be one of the two. It might be both since UF, UK, UGA, and Mizzou have already visited the past 2 seasons. Tennessee is a possibility as well in 2015.

Arkansas will finally get to BBP this season. And second trips for State and Auburn
Aggie
AG
Gonna go out on a limb and say we're going to LSU next year.
Only a rumor , nothing even close to confirmed but was told a big 12 opponent will be back on schedule this year.
Wouldn't disclose which school.

I would love to see the Texas series resume ..even if a Midweek game. I don't think it would be Baylor.
If I had to guess I would say OU
Luke The Drifter
AG
Looks like the season will start on Friday, February 13. Let's also assume we'll play all SEC series the final 10 weekends of the regular season. So we'll have these weekends to play:

Feb. 13-15 ... Holy Cross
Feb. 20-22 ... Penn State
Feb. 27-Mar. 1 ... Dartmouth
Mar. 6-8 ... Minute Maid Classic
Mar. 13-15 ... Auburn
Mar. 20-22 ... at Alabama (in Hoover)
Mar. 27-29 ... Missouri
Apr. 3-5 ... Easter weekend ... at Kentucky
Apr. 10-12 ... Mississippi State
Apr. 17-19 ... Parent's Weekend ... Arkansas
Apr. 24-26 ... at LSU
May 1-3 ... at Tennessee
May 8-10 ... South Carolina
May 15-17 ... at Mississippi
May 22-24 ... SEC Tourney
May 29-31 ... Regionals
Jun. 5-7 ... Super Regionals
Jun. 12-22 ... CWS

Known home conference series: Auburn, Mississippi State, Arkansas

Known road conference series: Alabama, LSU, Mississippi

Who fills those first three weekends? Fresno has to make a return trip. I can't imagine us scheduling a roadie out there without something in return. My question is whether or not we'll make a non-conference road trip one of those first three weekends. In the recent years we've gone to:

2014 - Fresno
2013 - Minute Maid Classic and Fullerton
2012 - Pepperdine
2011 - Minute Maid Classic
2010 - Baylor tourney
2009 - Minute Maid Classic
2008 - none
2007 - Minute Maid Classic

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. – Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)

[This message has been edited by Luke The Drifter (edited 8/21/2014 1:58p).]

[This message has been edited by Luke The Drifter (edited 8/25/2014 2:20p).]
Basketball and Chain
AG
Doesn't appear we'll play Georgia: http://www.sicemdawgs.com/uga-baseball-schedule/
Luke The Drifter
AG
OK...so our possible east division opponents are down to:

Missouri
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
South Carolina
Florida

Basketball and Chain
AG
LSU in Baton Rouge April 24-26

http://www.lsusports.net/pdf9/2760188.pdf?ATCLID=209600280&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200
Luke The Drifter
AG
List in post above updated and known weekends in bold.

Luke The Drifter
AG
According to Georgia's website, the SEC released the 2015 conference schedule on Tuesday. However, I can't find any additional information on the SEC website. LSU has their schedule updated (noted above) but no one else has any info.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/081914aab.html

Lance Uppercut
AG
Is there any rhyme or reason to the way they assign East opponents?
ensign_beedrill
AG
We've been going out to California the past three years. I wonder if Fresno State will come to Olsen and the Aggies will go to Sac State the way we did with Pepperdine/Fullerton.
W
AG
trying to use some reverse logic...

LSU's east division opponents are: UGA, UK, Mizzou, and South Carolina

Georgia's west division opponents are: Auburn, Bama, LSU, and Arkansas

-----
so very strong possibility that both Vandy and Tennessee are on the Ags' schedule
W
AG
another data point:

UC-Irvine opens the season at Fresno State for a 3-game series. So the bulldogs are booked for Feb 13-15
W
AG
one more...UNLV plays at Fresno State Feb 27-Mar 1
Luke The Drifter
AG
Well...if Fresno is indeed coming here, it appears it would have to be the second weekend of the season, Feb. 20-22.

Now...if we could just find this composite SEC schedule the UGA website references...

Tanya 93
THEY NEED TO PLAY MIZZOU!

I am in withdrawal here!
Luke The Drifter
AG
And here it is...

http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=209616899

Basketball and Chain
AG
36 home games. Interesting.
Luke The Drifter
AG
No California trip. Copied from above:

Mar. 6-8 ... Minute Maid Classic (UH, Nebraska, Baylor)
Mar. 13-15 ... Auburn
Mar. 27-29 ... Missouri
Apr. 24-26 ... at LSU
May 1-3 ... at Tennessee
May 29-31 ... Regionals
Jun. 12-22 ... CWS

Mid-week games:

Feb. 17 - SFA
Feb. 24 - Houston Baptist
Feb. 25 - Incarnate Word (Wednesday)
Mar. 3 - Houston Baptist
Mar. 10 - UT-Pan Am
Mar. 11 - UT-Pan Am (Wednesday)
Mar. 17 - Prairie View A&M
Mar. 24 - at UT-San Antonio
Mar. 31 - Sam Houston
Apr. 7 - Rice
Apr. 15 - Abilene Christian (Wednesday)
Apr. 21 - UT-Arlington
Apr. 28 - Texas State
May 5 - none
May 12 - at Sam Houston

I think one of the Houston Baptist games is supposed to be against Dallas Baptist. The article says we play DBU but DBU isn't mentioned again after the 2nd paragraph.

Luke The Drifter
AG
We end the season with 4 straight road games. Senior day will be the Sunday game vs. South Carolina.

Surprised we're not making a significant non-conference road trip. Even our trip to the Minute Maid Classic isn't going to be a huge RPI boost. The SEC games, of course, will inflate our RPI...but there's not much else on the schedule to give us a bump (other than a single Tuesday game vs. Rice.) Therefore, we cannot afford to fart around and lose more than one or two non-conference games. I don't like having such a slim margin for error.

Luke The Drifter
AG
Also, the article says we play 11 teams from last year's NCAA field, but we actually play 12.

And if you don't recall, Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word are now playing D-I baseball in the Southland Conference, so it's not like we dipped down to the D-II ranks for those games.

ProudAg16
AG
I like it! Can't wait for the season!
Luke The Drifter
AG
Here it is all rolled together:

Feb. 17 ... SFA
Feb. 24 ... Houston Baptist
Feb. 25 ... Incarnate Word (Wednesday)
Mar. 3 ... Houston Baptist
Mar. 6-8 ... Minute Maid Classic (UH, Nebraska, Baylor)
Mar. 10 ... UT-Pan Am
Mar. 11 ... UT-Pan Am (Wednesday)
Mar. 13-15 ... Auburn
Mar. 17 ... Prairie View A&M
Mar. 24 ... at UT-San Antonio
Mar. 27-29 ... Missouri
Mar. 31 ... Sam Houston
Apr. 7 ... Rice
Apr. 15 ... Abilene Christian (Wednesday)
Apr. 21 ... UT-Arlington
Apr. 24-26 ... at LSU
Apr. 28 ... Texas State
May 1-3 ... at Tennessee
May 12 ... at Sam Houston
May 29-31 ... Regionals
Jun. 12-22 ... CWS

Basketball and Chain
AG
After looking at last year's schedule, we also had 36 home games. We just replaced the California road trip with the Minute Maid Classic this year.
twk
AG
As far as road trips go, right now, I'm thinking LSU (that's pretty certain) and Ole Miss (less certain, as I've been there twice for football and probably will be back again that fall for football). I don't think I want to see us play Bama at Hoover in March. I might swap out Ole Miss for Tennessee as it will be a long time before we get to Knoxville for football, but we'll just have to see. I've made reservations for Baton Rouge and Oxford.
twk
AG
BTW: Ole Miss will be May 14-16 (Thursday through Saturday), not 15-17 (Friday through Sunday), as that is the weekend before the conference tournament.
W
AG
my first thought is that the schedule looks a little light especially the 20 road/neutral games. Kentucky and Ole Miss lost some really good players. Not sure they are top 25 teams next year. LSU could be the only opportunity for top 25 RPI road wins. No Vanderbilt or Florida in 2015
Luke The Drifter
AG
quote:
BTW: Ole Miss will be May 14-16 (Thursday through Saturday), not 15-17 (Friday through Sunday), as that is the weekend before the conference tournament.

Correct. I was just listing weekends when I put that together, not allowing for a possible Thursday series start. I'm guessing another series or two will shift to Thursday-Saturday for TV purposes. The ACC picks one series per weekend and plays it Saturday-Monday and televises the Monday game.

quote:
my first thought is that the schedule looks a little light especially the 20 road/neutral games. Kentucky and Ole Miss lost some really good players. Not sure they are top 25 teams next year. LSU could be the only opportunity for top 25 RPI road wins. No Vanderbilt or Florida in 2015

Agree 100%. That's why I said earlier we have zero margin for error in our non-conference games. The SEC will always be good, but there is real reason to believe the league, as a whole, won't be as strong in '15 as in years past. We cannot come out of the gate slow and drop games to teams like Holy Cross, Dartmouth and Houston Baptist.

Agsncws
AG
Last year =/= this year, but there are a significant number of games against teams that had or were close to 200+ RPIs. Can't drop any of those and hope to see rebounds in many of those teams.
Luke The Drifter
AG

Just for grins, here is where each of our 2015 opponents ended the 2014 season in Boyd's RPI.

4. Mississippi
9. Houston
11. LSU
13. Rice
15. South Carolina
20. Kentucky
23. Alabama
27. Mississippi State
28. Arkansas
31. Texas A&M
33. Nebraska
36. Sam Houston State
37. Dallas Baptist
52. Tennessee
73. Auburn
74. Baylor
92. Texas State
93. UT-Arlington
103. UT-San Antonio
138. Missouri
166. Stephen F. Austin
178. Dartmouth
200. Houston Baptist
212. UT-Pan American
216. Holy Cross
235. Penn State
268. Incarnate Word
277. Abilene Christian
290. Prairie View A&M

This makes me feel worse about the 2015 schedule. We're going to have to go 22-4, 23-3 or better in the non-conference games. A 20-6 mark against those teams won't cut it.

Also, confirmed we are playing Dallas Baptist on March 3, not Houston Baptist for a second time.

Luke The Drifter
AG
We also have very Biblical schedule in 2015:

Holy Cross
Houston Baptist
Incarnate Word
Dallas Baptist
Baylor
Abilene Christian

DWren
quote:
178. Dartmouth
200. Houston Baptist
212. UT-Pan American
216. Holy Cross
235. Penn State
268. Incarnate Word
277. Abilene Christian
290. Prairie View A&M

that's what I was going to comment on.
after reading the schedule , first thought was " how many 200+ RPI teams is that?"

that's quite a few games against some bad teams..as you mentioned.- cannot afford to lose many of those games.
RPI killers
W
AG
Will Bolt should look like a genius after the first 3 weeks of the season
W
AG
perhaps one schedule-related lesson learned from 2013...when the Ags play in the MM Classic, don't schedule any other non-conference road weekends (e.g. at Fullerton in 2013)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.