Staff Turnover Continues: Austin Morgan

4,843 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ensign_beedrill
agfan92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.12thman.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=209611333

Looks like RC is going into 2015 with quite a bit of new blood. . .

“We’re excited about the addition of Austin to our coaching staff,” Childress said. “He had a great playing career at Blinn College and College of Charleston. He learned a lot from Monte Lee at Charleston for two years as a player and one year as a student assistant and he’s done a great job the last two years at East Carolina, working with their catchers. As well as on-field instruction, I think he’ll do an outstanding job helping us with our on-campus recruiting. We’re very fortunate to add someone with his experience to the staff.”

Welcome and good luck Austin! (that seems odd to say)

[This message has been edited by agfan92 (edited 8/19/2014 12:05p).]

[This message has been edited by agfan92 (edited 8/19/2014 12:06p).]
OnlyForNow
AG
Looks a little like a red haired Patton Oswalt.
Hop
Staff
AG
I wouldn't consider the volunteer coach leaving as staff turnover. Volunteer coaches come and go every couple of years.
Captain Pablo
AG
Yeah, I can say unequivocally, that I would prefer my job NOT be on a volunteer basis for very long

But that's just me....
agfan92
AG
That's a valid point Hop. However, it is a change in the staff and an infusion of new blood during an off-season where many had hoped there would be such changes.
RafterAg223
AG
Bolt is not exactly new blood. He could be a great hire that makes an impact, but it's nothing more than more RC nepotism right now.
agfan92
AG
I think you'll find in any sport that coaches tend to look for assistants that are either part of the same "coaching tree" or have a very similar overall philosophy. From that standpoint I would agree that Bolt isn't necessarily entirely new blood, which shouldn't be surprising. However, he wasn't promoted from within and has had a chance to learn and develop away from RC's influence. Only time will tell if he can bring positive change to the Aggie offense. That "time away" didn't translate to success for the last guy when he came back to A&M.

I knew a change at the top was unlikely after the 2014 season, so I'm pleased that changes have been made on the staff. I'm not going to sit here before the season even starts and try to judge the impact of those changes from outside the program. We will see soon enough if these changes were meaningful or nothing more than window-dressing.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
I wouldn't consider the volunteer coach leaving as staff turnover. Volunteer coaches come and go every couple of years.

High turnover is still turnover, and this place has made a racket about our volunteer coach on a number of occasions.
Bernie13
Volunteer coaches or Grad asst's can make a difference. For example, 1989 team had Mark Smith and Hoot Johnigan. Head and asst coaches at Baylor now. Great guys who knew the game!!!
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Hoot Johnigan

I just don't think I could come up with a better sports name than that if I tried
Bernie13
"HOOT" was a hoot for sure!!! Natural bag pipest!!
Super12
Obviously you don't communicate with the players. Coach knight was very much a part of this team and the players had lots of respect for him and appreciated him.
jkag89
quote:
For example, 1989 team had Steve Smith and Hoot Johnigan. Head and asst coaches at Baylor now. Great guys who knew the game!!!

FIFY

I'm old enough to remember Hoot as a player for A&M. He still does not look right in a Baylor uniform, even after all this time.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Captain Morgan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.