HS camp question

2,346 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by OA5II
3 20s & a 10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any experience with the Futures camp that we put on? Have a 2016 grad - we live 500 miles away - just wanna make sure its worth the drive - A&M is where he wants to play - any help is appreciated
Shane Minks
AG
quote:
Just want to make sure it's worth the drive

Yes.
Floorguy
Good to know Shane. I was going to wait for the showcase in January. I have a 2016 also. The 3 day showcase is very good
OA5II
AG
Is he getting interest from D1 schools in your area? Not camp invites, but actual communication. If not, then the Showcase is not a good investment of money for recruiting.
If you are wanting your son to have fun, go learn and get a chance to be on the field at BBP; go for it.
k-a-j
AG
My son is class of 2016 and many of his coaches tell me he has D1 potential. He plays TAPPS high school (i.e. not much competition) and summer select at a very high level. He missed most of the summer due to a blood clot that is now completely gone. He played the last 3 tournaments but his throwing is not there yet, so he’s playing first base because they want his bat in the lineup. He is normally a catcher.

Should I sign him up for the Stars of Tomorrow camp (if room is still available) knowing his throwing won’t be there? I’d like the evaluation, but given his limitations, do you think I should forgo it?

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I’m all ears.

Thanks,
Kevin ‘86
3 20s & a 10
AG
Yes OA - he has 1 D1 offer so far - has had a couple others following close. We have been to showcases, but most have a couple D1 schools, but mainly D2 and below. He made it to the final evaluation last summer in Cary NC for the USA team. Received another invite this year as well. Playing for the Ags is his ultimate dream -
rallydawg
AG
Camps at BBP are a great experience and a good way to get noticed by A&M staff.Be patient in the recruiting process
OA5II
AG
K-a-j,

I would hold off but keep an eye open for other events to be seen. The complete showcase is a great event when his arm is ready. Even their winter camp.

Where do you live? If you can, get him into the dfw metro scout league. It is for 6 Sundays in the fall and Ags will see him play.
k-a-j
AG
OA5II - thanks for the reply. I live in Fort Worth and thought about the MSL last year but decided against it. I will look into that more seriously based on your suggestion - thanks!
Thisguy1
Camps are the best place to pretty much guarantee a look from the school holding it. Showcase tournament can be shady at times. They can have a coach work the fields just to say he was there. An A&M camp is what initially got them talking to me, and I'm a local guy.

It's not to say they won't see your player if he doesn't come, but this is a good way to make sure they do.
OA5II
AG
What Thisguy said. Showcase tournaments are great if on an established team and a reputable tournament.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.