DirecTV and WatchESPN

4,537 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by twk
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Actually SECN+ is the network

This is more pertinent to baseball than football so I figured I'd put this here

Anybody know whether WatchESPN will be accessible with a DirecTV account? Specifically streamed SEC baseball games...

That's a lot of baseball...

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 8/5/2014 1:56p).]
twk
AG
I *think* that is something yet to be determined. Disney's full contract with DirecTV doesn't expire until 12/31. My understanding is that DirecTV and Disney cut a separate deal on carriage rates for SECN so that DirecTV wouldn't continue to hemorrhage subscribers anxious about missing SEC football games. Details like Watch ESPN access may not be resolved until the full package is finalized.
Captain Pablo
AG
Ok. Pretty significant "loose end" still dangling out there

Gonna be a bad deal if it's not up and running next spring
twk
AG
Like I said, expect all the details by the end of the year. Maybe WatchESPN gets done before then, but I don't think it was critical to the deal.
Agsncws
AG
I sure hope it happens, but I don't necessarily expect it to happen. It would indeed be great for conference play and it's just as great during regionals.
twk
AG
http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2014/08/sec-network-directv-will-you-have-it.html

quote:
Re: WatchESPN - it was presented to me that WatchESPN had to be agreed upon to add the SEC Network. While it wasn't mentioned in the releases on Monday, I would not be surprised if terms around the product were agreed upon and waiting for signoffs.

What is more crucial re: WatchESPN is how quickly they can integrate DirecTV as an authenticated partner once an agreement is announced, if it isn't being worked on already. Usually when companies announce authentication agreements, like Time Warner with FOX Sports Go or AT&T with Pac-12 Networks as examples, the ability to log on to the app takes a few weeks to be integrated. I don't know if there is an authentication standard used by TV networks & pay TV providers or if each sets their own standards.

Last, but not least is that WatchESPN could be on hold until DirecTV finishes an agreement for all Disney properties. Not just the sports ones. All of them. Dish's agreement with Disney is what DirecTV is working towards completing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.