Cole Lankford Update

8,244 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ColoradoMooseHerd
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Well, since I have common sense and understand what tools are desired in the MLB, I am qualified to have an informed opinion that somebody who has below average speed, doesn't have a natural defensive position, doesn't hit for power, and whose OBP is relatively low has a very small chance of making it. His one projectable tool is pretty good hand-eye coordination and the ability to hit for average. If he had some speed to go with that, or if he had a good glove, then that's something to work with.

In fact, I'd say that while his odds are still infinitesimally low, as ironic as it sounds, Krey Bratsen has more projectable tools. He has great speed. He's a very good fielder, and he has a surprisingly strong arm for a centerfielder. His swing is atrocious, but if a pro organization put its full resources on retooling his swing and could get him to be a .260 hitter...who knows?

In this era of baseball with so much competition due to population increases and the greater recruitment and development of international prospects, you better be above average in several categories...power, speed, glove, natural hitter, etc.

So what makes you qualified to say I'm not qualified. :-)

Cole was very solid defensively at first and behind the dish. He has power to all areas of the field and consistently showed that at A&M, as well as hit for a good average. One of the few that had that ability. Plus, he improved all 3 years at A&M, also one of the few that did. He's a very teachable young player, which is what scouts are looking for in players in the later rounds. Hell, Adam Smith went as a pitcher, a position he didn't even play at A&M. Scouts obviously saw something in Cole that led them to draft him. Whether he'll make it or not remains to be seen. I, personally, think that Cole would have benefited from staying one more year, but I don't know all the circumstances.

Bratsen does not have more tools. Bratsen was a very good defender because of his speed, but I wouldn't say his arm was above average. He never improved as a hitter over his career and displayed zero to very minimal power. Just because he might be better than Cole at one area (speed), doesn't mean he has more tools. Again, if scouts saw something that they could work with, Krey would have been drafted because he is a natural athlete. But he wasn't.

Troy Stein, who most on here would freely admit was a worse hitter than Cole, was drafted in the 10th round. It surprised a lot of us, but the scouts must have seen something in him that was worth trying to fix. He was below average defensively, had a subpar arm, and was just about average with the bat at A&M.

That's the difference between us and scouts. We can speculate and have "informed opinions" all we want, but it doesn't mean that what we are saying has any meaning or bearing. I'm more trusting that scouts know what the heck they are doing so I'm willing to put a lot of stock into what they do/say.

dirkjones
AG
I don't think I would call Stein below average defensively. He was at least average and had an average arm also. In rookie ball he was hitting .350, not too bad. Even though he was drafted in the 10th round, his bonus was only 10K. Jester drafted in the 23rd round banked 20k. I bet Cole signed and was given a plane ticket to his destination, good thing though is the Cards will pay for him to finish his degree. I agree he improved every year and bet he would have improved in 2015 also.

[This message has been edited by dirkjones (edited 8/5/2014 12:40p).]
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Moose dove in to Wikipedia and got literal with me. Sure, he was always a great baseball player, but the typical measurements weren't why the Red Sox liked him. His college numbers were first round worthy but he wasn't taken? Why? I heard what was probably a sensationalized piece about how he caught a break to get his chance in the big leagues and he stuck.

I didn't research it but it didn't sound like a stretch given his stature and unorthodox swing. Obviously he's a stud.

I think you knew what we were getting at but it's more fun to play devils advocate right?

Cole is 6'-6'1", 180-190 pounds.

Cole isn't an absolute physical specimen, but he's not Dustin Pedroia.

Pedroia was a 2nd round pick- the Red Sox had a pretty substantial expectation that he'd become a major league player and they locked up some money because of it.

I know what you're trying to say- you don't have to have an "ideal" athletic build- but you do have to produce. There's not much getting around the need to produce. Pedroia produced throughout his entire amateur and pro career. Cole currently isn't, and that's the problem.

I wish nothing but the best of luck to Cole, nonetheless.
Sandman98
AG
To be clear, we weren't discussing Cole anymore. The thread pivoted.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Cole was very solid defensively at first and behind the dish. He has power to all areas of the field and consistently showed that at A&M, as well as hit for a good average. One of the few that had that ability. Plus, he improved all 3 years at A&M, also one of the few that did. He's a very teachable young player, which is what scouts are looking for in players in the later rounds. Hell, Adam Smith went as a pitcher, a position he didn't even play at A&M. Scouts obviously saw something in Cole that led them to draft him. Whether he'll make it or not remains to be seen. I, personally, think that Cole would have benefited from staying one more year, but I don't know all the circumstances.

Lankford was a very nice college player. He was a great teammate and a hard worker. I agree with all of that. We should all be proud how he represented A&M.

But none of that matters to MLB teams. They want to see natural ability and skills that can project to MLB caliber play, and then they can work at skill sets to minimize the weaknesses.

But once you get past the 20th round, teams are basically going off of scout sheets and picking players that their core in-house scouting team probably hasn't even seen in person. A local scout probably said Lankford was worthy of a late round pick because of his ability to hit to all fields and only as a catcher. Lankford is too slow to play the outfield. He doesn't have the power you want out of a corner infielder, so taking a flier on him at catcher is worthy of a 27th round pick. But by and large, they draft these kind of athletes late in the draft to fill up their minor league rosters for their minor league affiliates...and hoping to win the lottery with the kid.

But to be clear, Lankford was not a solid defenive catcher at A&M. He didn't have a good arm to second. If he did, he would have played catcher more and allowed Childress to get another good bat in the lineup. Rob tried it out early in Lankford's career, but it didn't work out and that's why he never played catcher at A&M again.

You don't need a scout's eye to observe this.
Sandman98
AG
Bottom line is that none of those things would have changed with one more year of college ball. He's more likely to improve in a season and a half of every day baseball and an offseason of thinking and working like a pro. He can graduate whenever he wants, if HE wants to.

MAROON
AG
quote:
I bet Cole signed and was given a plane ticket to his destination

uh you have no idea what you are talking about. I can't say what he got, but if I did you would be floored at how wrong you are compared to the truth.

[This message has been edited by MAROON (edited 8/5/2014 5:27p).]
Foxo
AG
"But to be clear, Lankford was not a solid defenive catcher at A&M. He didn't have a good arm to second. If he did, he would have played catcher more and allowed Childress to get another good bat in the lineup. Rob tried it out early in Lankford's career, but it didn't work out and that's why he never played catcher at A&M again."

I seem to remember a game where Lankford was catching and the opponents were running wild on him. That might have been his last outing as a catcher.

Stein got loads of criticism from Aggies this year for his bat (he actually had a good year) and as a defensive catcher (Coach Johnson consistently praised his defensive play.) So much for fan expert opinion.
W
AG
Stein had the misfortunate of being compared to Gonzo. And when you look at the stats for passed balls, errors, caught stealings, pick offs...it was a significant and at times very significant drop off behind the plate. The Ags have a chance to upgrade the catching position for 2015.

in the booth MJ and Dave are very gracious toward the players (as you would expect). They rarely, rarely criticize the players or the coaches. The only situation I can remember in recent years was a game against Missouri in 2012 (I think) where the aggie SS tried a hot dog behind-the-back flip to second instead of taking the out at first base. It led to a big 9th inning for the Tigers
Foxo
AG
"The Ags have a chance to upgrade the catching position for 2015."

And who is that player?
W
AG
who is that player indeed
W
AG
and drifting further off topic regarding all the "baseball expert" talk and qualifications...

Milo Hamilton did not play professional baseball at any level. Neither did Vin Scully. Do posters consider them to be major league baseball experts?

and of course the college sports trump card is former Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach. He is an attorney. Did not play college football. Is he qualified to evaluate talent?

Second Deck
Cole goes 3 for 4 yesterday. BA climbs to 0.242.

Keep it going Cole
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
"The Ags have a chance to upgrade the catching position for 2015."

And who is that player?

Isn't Cole Bedford a top rated catcher, or is he destined for another position?
Tex100
AG
quote:
Cole goes 3 for 4 yesterday. BA climbs to 0.242.

Keep it going Cole

Aggies
Keep it moving upward Cole. The TARGET is 0.300. !!!
Foxo
AG
Retweeted by Matthew Kent
J.C. Cardinals ‏@JC_Cardinals 18h

Have a Day!!! Cole Lankford with his second 3-run HR of the night!
Expand

Retweeted by Matthew Kent
J.C. Cardinals ‏@JC_Cardinals 18h

Cole Lankford now has 2 HR's tonight. First Cardinal to do that in a game since Rowan Wick did it vs. Greeneville on 8/14/13 #RedbirdRookies
Expand

ColoradoMooseHerd
Pretty remarkable week he is having, his last 5 or 6 games have changed his season quite a bit.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Up to .274
ColoradoMooseHerd
In his last 8 games he is 16 of 32 (.500) with 3 HR's and 13 RBI's
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.