Application

4,270 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by matt.maggio3
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
here are 3 questions for the application...under the category of what would you do coach:

1. it's the top of the 7th inning and the Ags are trailing on the road at Mississippi State 4-1 in the series opener. The first 2 runners reach base safely. Do you sac bunt the next hitter?

2. it's the bottom of the 1st inning in the middle game of the series at BBP vs. the hard-hitting Kentucky Wildcats. UK goes down 1-2-3 in their half of the 1st. Once again the first 2 baserunners reach safely and A&M's best hitter (Lankford) is up next. Do you sac bunt him?

3. it's the bottom of the 3rd inning in the 2013 regional opener vs. UCSB. The Gauchos already have a 3-0 lead. The lead runner reaches for A&M. Do you sac bunt the next hitter?
Rocco S
No in all 3
Lance Uppercut
AG
I assume they did in all 3, then I looked, and they did.

1. The batter was Jace Statum, which changes everything. 7 and 8 got on and you're about to turn over the lineup. Statum slugs .301 and Moroney is already in the lineup at DH, Birk has already been removed. You can also insert struggling Nottebrok who was a huge DPlay target or Nau and then get creative shuffling around your DH spot. I might have done that and put Moss in left following. This move isn't completely mindless, but I'd still answer "no".

FWIW, the move eventually accomplished what it was likely meant to do...keep the lineup moving until it got to Lankford. Allemand walked to load the bases, Taylor Kd, and then Lankford lined out.

2. Absolutely not. He was squaring too, so it was a true sacrifice, and his only one on the season. A puzzling move to say the least.

3. Again, it's Statum, which changes everything. In 2013, he's hitting .252 and slugging .271. He has 2 extra base hits on the year. Moroney is hitting .246, Wood PH later in the game and was hitting .204, and it's early in the game. The point was to give Reynolds an RBI AB, which it did, and he doubled home the run. This situation is the one situation where I'd say I probably would have done the same thing. There weren't as many options on the bench, it's early, Statum's one of the few speed options for the bases and outfield.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 7/20/2014 10:24p).]
ColoradoMooseHerd
#2 Is the Obvious No

The other two, you may not like the call but it is not a terrible move.

There are a lot of other terrible moves that should be discussed here.

1. Waving home of runners when Outfielder has the ball and runner has not reached third yet.

2. Final Game against Texas - Hollingsworth struggled in the first inning and walked the first batter of the 2nd inning on four straight pitches. Next batter up (Bratsen On Fire in the Regional), Hollingsworth throws a ball to lead him off, with a 1-0 count what do you do?
a. Take until a strike
b. Swing Away Because he is hot
c. Bunt Hottest Batter in Regional

I firmly believe if Bratsen would had the take, not only do we knock Hollingsworth out that inning but we win the game. We gave away the inning and let Hollingsworth Settle into a groove.
matt.maggio3
AG
quote:
It does not necessarily have to but my response was made to matt.maggio3's questioning the need for a strong defense. He seems to think any lineup that should put up more runs is always the best option. Some here obviously disagree.

Never questioned the need for a strong defense. Never even brought up defense; other people did. You can't win a game without scoring. As pointed out, you also can't win a game if the other team scores more than you do. That said, I don't think defense or pitching has been our problem the past few years. Our problem has been anemic hitting and horrendous base running. My response to people saying defense is more important in a 2-1 game stands; we wouldn't be in a 2-1 game if we could hit better. That 2-1 score should be 4-1 or 5-1. As I said, I'm confident our arms and gloves can defend that.

Defense and offense are not mutually exclusive. You can score runs and defend against them at the same time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.