Sawyers going back to KSU?

9,439 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Yell Practice
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it true?
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
@aaronfitt: Andy Sawyers is returning to Kansas State as hitting coach. Spent 2 years on Brad Hill's staff there before joining Texas A&m's staff.
merc
AG
_mpaul
AG
Unfortunately, Sawyers ain't the problem. I have no doubt he'll go back to KSU and have them at the top of the Big 12 in hitting.
GEA89
AG
^^ Just like he did before.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, Sawyers ain't the problem. I have no doubt he'll go back to KSU and have them at the top of the Big 12 in hitting.

He was at least part of the problem.

He may be a good hitting coach, but he's a terrible 3B coach.
Sea Gull
AG
I still think RC is ultimately the problem (at least when it comes to offense), but Sawyers did have some bone head calls. Especially in the regional. I'm really interested in who the replacement is going to be. I would think this is a crucial time in RC's tenure. If he can get a slam dunk hire, it would benefit both recruiting and success on the field. We all know the Big 12 strategy that RC uses, does not work in the SEC. So this could be a sign that RC is attempting to change their approach.
Sandman98
AG
Does the lateral move mean RC gave him a nudge?
Outlaw0206
AG
Ya looks like RC didn't have his back after all! Ha. Bring on Coach Taylor from U of H!
Captain Pablo
AG
We'll see how this turns out...

Sawyers was definitely a problem, but I'm not sure he was THE problem...
Outlaw0206
AG
So who are we saying is "the problem"? RC? Ha
Rocco S
Great news, even if it only eliminates a scape goat
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
So who are we saying is "the problem"? RC? Ha

IMO, yes

But y'all know that....
Captain Pablo
AG
Doesn't matter who the replacement is. It's RC's team, his style, and he'll recruit players to fit his offensive (no pun intended) philosophy, whatever the hell that is...

Guess we'll find out next Spring how this all turns out.

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 7/16/2014 12:07p).]
agforlife97
AG
Most of us already know.
atm0812
AG
Do we know for certain that Sawdog wasn't the little kid from Angels in the Outfield who ran to his house instead of running to home plate?

Maybe he just never figured it out...
ensign_beedrill
AG
This seems very weird to me. Sounds like there's something he wasn't happy about here.
Basketball and Chain
AG
quote:
This seems very weird to me. Sounds like there's something he wasn't happy about here.

Or he was encouraged by a friend to get out while he could
Sea Gull
AG
It might have been a combination of the 2. Sawyers might have more freedom up there at KSU, who knows.
Super12
Pablo, sawyers was very much a problem. RC recruited guys that could hit. It's a joke around with scouts that hitters die when they get to A&M. And RC isn't a hitting coach.
W
AG
whoa, this is surprising. Definitely a lateral move. I wonder if there was indeed a nudge
Statboy203
AG
My vote is Will Bolt or Brian Green.
BQ_90
AG
the problem isn't the back seat driver.

This just give Rob another chance to hire one of his buddies and get him paid before they're all fired.

Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
I would look for #TAMU to take a very strong look at #Nebraska associate head coach Will Bolt. Very, very strong ties to that #Aggies staff.

quote:
I was told a big reason Andy Sawyers went back to #KState was to get back to his Midwest roots. Really missed being at #KSU, in the #Big12.

-from Kendall Rogers

Nobody believes that second part, so let the speculation begin.
W
AG
does this mean Childress is starting to feel pressure for the team to perform better in the SEC and/or regional play?
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
I would look for #TAMU to take a very strong look at #Nebraska associate head coach Will Bolt. Very, very strong ties to that #Aggies staff.

Would love to see that. However, we've looked at old A&M assistants before, and we all know how that turned out.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Midwest roots? I thought he was from California!
jt2hunt
AG
I want a proved commodity in the hitting dept.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Trying to keep up with the Aggie assistants:

Deggs-Lafayette, Sam HC
Mike Clement-K State assistant, Ole Miss hitting coach
Sawyers-K State hitting, A&M associate, K-State associate
Talbot-taking Deggs' spot at ULL
Bolt-Texarkana JC HC, Nebraska associate

Odd that we went from "Saw Dog Mania" to cheering his departure.

Sawyers also managed to fit his 2nd tenure at A&M neatly into the deadest period of college baseball offense in history.

2011 was a good team.

The 2012 team isn't as bad as people remember, though they did flame out in their own hosted regional. In retrospect, and taking into account what we know about offensive numbers across the sport, that offense wasn't entirely hapless either.

2013 was the worst year offensively, and the coaches admitted they should have bolstered a young team with juco batters. This is the only season his offense wasn't comparable, or even good, when compared to our direct competitors.

From what we know, Childress needs help running the offense and recruiting for it as well. I haven't seen anything that didn't reference that Deggs had a lot to do with the influx of talent that came with the 2007-2008 group. But I still think his biggest problem, and our biggest problem as a team, comes from starting pitching.

The 2013 team had a consistent starter in Mengden, then shuffled around Martin and Pineda. Ray was solid at the end of the year but only started 6 games. In 2014, Mengden was injured and Long had a good year, but we had 0 "ace" performances over the season, and one over the past two (Mengden 2013).

The key to getting back in the 'driver's seat' and hosting is a solidified weekend rotation, because we haven't had one in 2 years. I can think of 2 SEC offenses I saw where I thought "they're clearly better than us"...Kentucky and Ole Miss. But there may have been one or two series in conference where the other team didn't have a better season from at least 2/3 of their starters on the weekend.

An improved offense would be nice and can help out pitching, but RC has plenty of issues on his side of the ball that need to be remedied to be a 'host' level team. There's a reason that plenty of teams in Omaha hit around .290 or worse, but that not many of them got there with Team ERAs of anything near 3.67.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 7/16/2014 1:31p).]
W
AG
yep, Sawyers got stuck with the BBCOR dead ball era
Rocco S
It was early an unfair situation that he was the ONLY hitting coach in the NCAA stuck with the new BBCOR bats
Jacob_House 27
quote:
the problem isn't the back seat driver.

This just give Rob another chance to hire one of his buddies and get him paid before they're all fired.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/BQ_90/TabaLogo.jpg

BQ_90, your bitterness is so subtle..
Spyderman
AG
Whoever is the hitting coach for New Mexico.
75AG
AG
I know when to hold runners at 2nd and 3rd; therefore, I have submitted my resume for the job! And there will no questioning of my decisions by agfan92!

[This message has been edited by 75AG (edited 7/16/2014 3:35p).]
rallydawg
AG
I hesitate to post a reply here, but as I stated on an earlier post, I felt all along RC would give up Sawdog as the sacrificial lamb! Leadership comes from the top. I hope this move will help and best wishes to Andy and his family!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.