Do we need to change what we do as fans?

5,951 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by matt.maggio3
Tex100
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Granted, there were lots of LSU fans there, but when they started the L...S....U chant you forgot we were the home team. Maybe we need an A...&...M. chant. Something loud.
Wildmen03
AG
Yes, let's be lame.
drivinwest
AG
Yes! Lame that all we have is bleacher beating.
drivinwest
AG
Haha.
KBK60
LSU owned us. Not cool.
Tanya 93
Perhaps people should be less concerned about being seen as a Raggie and more concerned about ragging.

Bubba43
This was my first time to go to an a&m baseball game and I noticed aggie fans would do a clap that looked like the gator chomp. What is that about and I know y'all did not play Florida this year but would you do that against them?
HartHall65
AG
ITS A SHARK!
Aggie
AG
Olsen atmosphere is not what it used to be IMO, not even close.
Tex100
AG
The reason they owned us as fans is that they have a yell they do together. We don't need yell leaders but we need something to do collectively that is loud.
jkag89
Bubba - As HartHall pointed out it is a shark. It developed from when the old PA announcer would play the theme from Jaws when the Ags threatened in an inning.

Not in favor of an A & M type chant. Too much of what goes on at Olsen now is just a rote response. Let us figure out a unique way to be loud instead of aping other schools.

[This message has been edited by jkag89 (edited 5/11/2013 8:19p).]
Brother Mouzone
AG
quote:
Olsen atmosphere is not what it used to be IMO, not even close.

This. My wife and I were shocked at the lack of energy in a close game. Could barely here any ragging.
Tanya 93
quote:
The reason they owned us as fans is that they have a yell they do together. We don't need yell leaders but we need something to do collectively that is loud.

No, Olsen doesn't need to do a chant like "Go Aggies!"

I don't remember the season or series. But an opposing team had a player named Massingale.

The upper deck started a "vinegar" "water" chant back and forth across the 1st base upper deck.

That is what Olsen needs. Random things that fits the moment at the time. Not pre-programmed chants and "Touch his butt."

[This message has been edited by Tanya 93 (edited 5/11/2013 8:12p).]
Tex100
AG
Funny moments that randomly occur are great. The Marco Polo chant as a doddering Wayne Graham was going the wrong way to the mound was funny. You still need a go to yell that everyone does in game in the line situations. I could hear some bleacher beating today- s it was not quite drowned our by the LSU chants.
Tanya 93
What made Olsen an intimidating place once was the passion of the students who didn't need a "chant" to get fired up.

Stop copying other people or I will soon expect you to be screaming we need to sing "Oh Canada" or our team needs to do moves in unison to "Love is Gone."

Be our own people. That is what made Olsen a once great place for the fans and the opposing team.
Captain Pablo
AG
Actually, I think Aggie fans decked out in rainbow capes, beanies with propellers, snorkel gear, and flippers are far more intimidating that a stupid chant...

Tex100
AG
A collective yell will beat individual stuff- see Kyle Field. It has to be something that can be quickly started in crucial moments.

Olsen Field was a loud, hostile venue today when it counted. - for LSU.
Captain Pablo
AG
Seriously, it sounded like an LSU home game. Kinda liked their idea of coordinated noise...
Tanya 93
and yet it was once a hostile place without having to chant "Go Aggies"

Coby
AG
The reason they owned us is because they outnumbered us in GA. Any parts of the park where people are willing/allowed to yell, purple and gold ruled out. It's hard to bang on the bleachers to drown them out when the majority of the people have their backs against the bleachers muffling it because they are yelling for the other team.

Today's game legitimately ticked me off more than any I've experienced in the past four years. As I've gotten older, I've become a lot better at not getting overly negative, but today pissed me off.

First we screwed it away in the first inning. Then I have no freaking clue why the hell someone would try and steal third in that situation. The fact that the batter was left handed made it even worse. Then in the bottom of the seventh the first baseman's foot was off the bag when he caught the relay. Mikey should've been called safe. And oh yeah, we fail to get the bunt down before that. Not only fail, but pop it up in foul territory to the catcher.

That's all frustrating, but that's also all baseball. What pisses me off the most, and it really is no contest, is the fact that LSU fans came from Louisiana to College Station and owned the weekend.

Thursday night they were about the same volume overall. Friday about the same, but maybe they were a little louder. Saturday early morning I wasn't there because I graduated at nine, but when I showed up, the section in which I've sat for the past four years had LSU fans from the first row all the way to the top. And they had their way with us this game.

It's embarrassing when people come in and flip your home field advantage. We've talked big game in the past for going to Baylor and always having more fans than them, but these people came from Louisiana. If you're an LSU fan, you should be proud of the way you traveled. If you're an Aggie fan, you should be embarrassed, because today was absolutely pathetic.

[/rant]
TexasRebel
AG
That's also generally typical of graduation weekend.

Collective chants don't work without numbers. Even if you don't have anything to get into a players head, be a body in a seat. There are still a few folks who know what to do.
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
and yet it was once a hostile place without having to chant "Go Aggies"

Well, that was then. And it doesn't have to be "Go Aggies"
Tex100
AG
Exactly Pablo. If 203 considers themselves to lead Olsen and have sufficient people to get something going, they have an offseason to figure it out. What works against the KStates isn't what will work for the SEC, particularly LSU. There will always be lots of LSU fans at College Station events. Houston has more LSU alumni than New Orleans.
jkag89
quote:
Well, that was then.

So instead of trying to recapture what once was and what made Olsen special, we'll just do what everyone else does?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
twk
AG
I've been saying for a while now that some things need to change, but the LSU fan presence has nothing to do with that. There were probably 1200 LSU fans out of the 5800 in attendance. However, 1200 folks who care enough to travel can make a lot of noise--we used to do the same thing at the Disch in the 90s, making as much noise with about 1000 fans as the 6000 Horn fans. There are two ways to keep this from happening: (1) don't have any tickets available (which requires our team to be playing better than they have been this year); and (2) win (LSU fans make more noise when leading--they are pure frontrunners).

As for what we need to do different, it's simple--support the team. There's plenty of quiet time during a baseball game for funny stuff, but, there are points in the game where you just need to put your hands together and clap, or yell something (anything) in support, no matter how unoriginal or passé that may seem.
TexasRebel
AG
Two words:
Baseball Chatter

Tell the batters what you want; what you need.

"Cm'mon Stein! Base hit scores two!!"
"K here takes the heat off, Parker!"

Simple stuff. The fun comes in when you find a guy chugging to second trying to stretch an F9 into a 2B.

We were once feared as the most knowledgeable and situational fans in NCAA baseball. No matter how small the mistake, we knew and they heard about it for 3 days.
ftworthag02
AG
Rc's teams have zapped the life out of us. Boring!
Good competitive baseball = fans that are into the games
jkag89
quote:
Baseball Chatter

I agree but I might be saying that because it is what do already.
TexasRebel
AG
It's what all the Deggs folks do.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
Baseball Chatter

I agree but I might be saying that because it is what do already.

Hey Benny does that.

HIT BALL DUDE!!!!!!!
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
So instead of trying to recapture what once was and what made Olsen special, we'll just do what everyone else does?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Either/or. If you can't recapture the glory days, try something else.

Or do what you want. I don't care.

The LSU noise was impressive today. Just saying. Sounded like the game was Baton Rouge.

Goofy hats and clown costumes are no match..

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 5/11/2013 11:12p).]
dabo man
AG
One thing that I will add is that back when I sat upstairs, when the Ags had a man in scoring position, we would kick the crap out of the bleachers. We kicked then so much during the 1995 season that the seat back came off of what was section 205, row 2 during a game late in the year. It would loud and full of energy.

Now if we're trying to rally, you could transcribe a book to tape during the event.
Captain Pablo
AG
I'm glad y'all don't tear up the bleachers anymore
TexasRebel
AG
You don't see that you are comparing traveling fans to one guy doing his own thing?

Oh come on. Stop beatin' it. Get out there yourself.
Original Toad Boy
[Reposting deleted material gets you a long ban. Stay off the baseball board--Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 5/12/2013 8:09a).]
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.