Story Poster
Photo by Matt Sachs, TexAgs
Texas A&M Baseball

Aggie baseball lands top prospect, longtime Longhorn commit

May 29, 2012

The Aggie baseball team pulled off an incredible recruiting coup on Tuesday, landing a commitment and signed National Letter of Intent from one of the top outfield prospects nationally in the Class of 2012.

Galveston Ball senior Billy "Nick" Williams pulled a last-minute switch-a-roo Tuesday at his high school, choosing Texas A&M after originally committing to the Texas Longhorns about nine months ago. But after a recent visit to Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park, Rob Childress and the Ags were able to get back into the picture. And when it came time to make a decision, Williams found himself wearing maroon.

Williams announced his official decision Tuesday on Twitter (@NW1Superstar):

"Done with school. Signed letter of intent to Texas A&M. What's left to do? Geez, what else can go really good for me?"

At 6-3, 195 pounds, the left-handed Williams is built like a young Ken Griffey, Jr. and possesses more tools than a Home Depot Superstore. He's nearly as fast as Krey Bratsen with a better arm and hits a fastball like Luke Anders. And if he can slip through next week's MLB Draft without going too high - and without the team that selects him backing up the money train - Williams will arrive on the A&M campus ready to make an immediate impact this fall.

According to Perfect Game USA, Williams ran a 6.47 60-yard sprint last June and was clocked two summers ago at 89 miles-per-hour on the mound. He's known for his ability to hit fastballs a ton but is still working on handling off-speed pitching.

Also an excellent football player at Ball High School, Williams is widely considered the most athletic high school prep baseball player in Texas in 2012 and many believe him to be a top three overall recruit in the Texas senior class.

It's not often that a longtime Longhorn baseball commit pulls a switch like this … especially this late in the game. But it's clear that Childress and Co. have more than narrowed the gap between Texas and everyone else in the State. The Aggies are winning at an all-time high level right now, and the move to the SEC only helps A&M on the recruiting trail.

Texas A&M and Texas may not play each other next year in baseball (although they might … both coaches would love to keep playing). But the battle for superiority remains ongoing and as strong as ever.
Discussion from...

11,521 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by old yeller
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txag614
This is a huge pickup if he winds up coming to school. Great job staff.
Basketball and Chain
AggieFrog
AG
Just hope he comes to school and puts MLB off for a couple of years.
SMM48
DecadePlan
Verne Lundquist
AG
always good to get a top player

how good of a hitter is he btw?
FtBendTxAg
AG
Hmmm. Wonder why he switched commitments when he is predicted to be a very high draft pick. A few months ago, it was thought that he was definitely headed to the draft. Now I'm not sure whats going on.

Good news, anyway. But I'm definitely not holding my breath on this one.
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
how good of a hitter is he btw?

very good.
old yeller
AG
Looks good on paper. Doubt we ever see him.
jtaggie23
monarch
S
MLB prospect; hope he gets to campus. This kid can hit.
islandag
don't get the hopes up...i have been told he has not qualified to play d-1.. grades are not good. i think he is using it for leverage but if they know he is struggling in the class room then there is no leverage..
Basketball and Chain
AG
Island, he just graduated this week. You sure grades are an issue?
islandag
yes...i know the guy..
rebel06
AG
Here's an old article from February about the top OF prospects coming out of HS:

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/baseball/tag/_/name/billy-nick-williams

quote:
Williams could fit anywhere on this list and the argument for such a ranking would be legitimate and justified. He lacks polish and has big problems with offspeed stuff, which means his draft stock is based largely on his physical tools. He's a 70 runner with good raw power, but his mechanics at the plate need work and his defensive instincts are below average. If he maximizes his potential, he's a future star. Williams may benefit greatly from three years at the University of Texas.

[This message has been edited by rebel06 (edited 5/30/2012 8:19a).]
Aston94
AG
quote:
If he maximizes his potential, he's a future star. Williams may benefit greatly from three years at the University of Texas.

Who else thinks espn might put a different "spin" on this article today?

Something along the lines of "Signed with Texas A&M, but really should go pro where his swing can be developed by professional coaches."
Happy Kuykendahl
Texas A&M baseball potentially could be about to step up from its already currently elite level, given the talent influx we will see with moving to the SEC. If he and Kohl Stewart make it to campus, we are going to be loaded.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Article from today's Galveston paper....

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/318366
Happy Kuykendahl
Does he go by Nick to avoid the Billy D Williams references?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
Article from today's Galveston paper....

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/318366

I bet that was a painful article to write. That guy (who is a complete hack, by the way) is a UT grad who hasn't passed up too many chances to mention the horns while writing about Williams this year.
DTP02
AG
quote:
don't get the hopes up...i have been told he has not qualified to play d-1.. grades are not good. i think he is using it for leverage but if they know he is struggling in the class room then there is no leverage..

Seems unlikely that an attorney's kid has grades which are so bad he can't qualify for D-1.

D_Wag97
AG
What does the rest of the class look like?
themizz
His grades are fine and he has already qualified D1. He will end up being one of the best Ags to ever lace em' up if he does not sign a pro contract. There is no such thing as leverage anymore with the new MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement. Every team has a finite budget to spend on the first (10) rounds.
I need to take a shower
Ag 11
agforlife97
AG
quote:
He will end up being one of the best Ags to ever lace em' up if he does not sign a pro contract

My money is on him being more like the next Choo Freeman/Chip Ambres. I hear the guy does have solid ankles though...
D_Wag97
AG
I guess Hinojosa decided not to switch as well?
waco_aggie05
AG
Does Intrade have a line on him making it to campus?
Gabe Bock
AG
No, Hinojosa ended up signing with Texas.
WestGalvestonAggie
Kid is a sure first round pick in the draft, so I seriously doubt we will ever see him, but if we somehow do he will be a great one.
old yeller
AG
He is rated as the #100 pick by BA. Not first round but definitely high enough that we probably won't ever see him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.