Congrats to Ross Stripling on no-hitting San Diego State!

8,276 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by TexAg2005
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Ross Stripling's final line in a 1-0 win over San Diego State today at Olsen Field: 9.0 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts.

He faced the minimum ... 27 batters. His one walk was erased on a caught stealing.

Just an unbelievable performance by one of the all-time great pitchers to ever suit up for the maroon and white. And on the same weekend that he graduated from Texas A&M ... just a special moment for #36 and to the Aggie program!

I was lucky enough to attend today's game as a fan, along with my wife, daughter, a couple of TexAgs staffers and a few of you TexAgs subscribers who took my invite and came out to watch baseball with me. Seeing this build from a fan's perspective was remarkable.

As we walked inside the park, I was greeted by Hayes Stripling, Ross' dad. We spoke for a minute and I just left him with that feeling that it was going to be a great day for Ross. I had no idea that his outing would turn out this good!

Strip wowed the SDSU bats with a three-pitch mix, keeping them off guard the entire day. Location, location, location ... the fastball was spotted exactly where he wanted it and the breaking ball was special today! The changeup ... also great and fooled the Aztecs throughout.

Matt Juengel's spectacular play at third base - a spot that he hasn't played in two months - on a bunt attempt in the first inning turned out to be significant. As was Scott Arthur's athletic play on a push bunt between first and second a few innings later. Other than that, not a lot of drama. Just one heck of a dominating performance.

It's been a long, long time since A&M has had a pitcher throw a nine-inning no hitter. Zach Jackson opened his A&M career with a seven-inning no-no on opening day in '04. That's the last no hitter until today by an Aggie pitcher. Before that, Ryan Rupe and two relievers combined for a no hitter in '98. The last nine-inning no-no by one guy was Matt Blank in 1996.

All told ... there have been just 11 no hitters in Texas A&M's long history of baseball. This is just the fifth nine-inning no hitter by a single pitcher. The other six have either been seven-inning no hitters or combined no hitters.

An amazing feat by an amazing young man! If this doesn't get you to vote for Ross Stripling for the Lowe's Senior Class Award, I don't know what will.

Vote now and vote often by clicking here: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/baseball_2012/

Austin Meek will have a full breakdown, plus post-game audio posted shortly. But I wanted to get this out there for you guys and share my thoughts before getting ready for Leone's wedding.

Congrats Ross! Nobody is more deserving of the success coming their way than #36!
coloradoag69
AG
Nothing to add except my congratulations.
DanHo2010
AG
Whoop! Incredible performance by Ross! Now I can say I've seen one!
Aggies
Absolute Great Game Ross. Congratulations!

[This message has been edited by Aggies (edited 5/12/2012 4:59p).]
wee_ag
LastHamlet
KVK77TexAg
AG
Outstanding and really cool. Congratulations Ross!!!
Frisco - Ag
GBRAggie
WHOOP! SAW IT AND SCORED IT FROM 203*. WHOOP!!!! AMAZING DAY! WHAT A GRAD GIFT, MOTHER'S DAY GIFT, AND GIFT TO THE MILITARY VETS!!!
NC2001
AG
Outstanding indeed!
pimplepopper
p-wonk01
AG
Greatness.
dmart90
AG
Whoop! Gig 'em, Ross!
peace
S
congratulations, Ross!! I see after voting again, Ross has finally pulled ahead in the poll...keep voting, however!!
2DollarYo
LatinAggie1997
Ag 11
musket
AG
Beer and brisket!
Boozin B 77
figlet
AG
Great day to take the fam to the game. Kids will remember forever. Congrats to Ross.
dkd95
AG
whoop!
Statboy203
ch50
A great performance by a truely great young man.
87txag
Big Cat `93
AG
It was a privilege to be there for that game.
liquidmonkey93
AG
What a game...so happy for Ross....unbelievable...
C5Aggie03
THEamc
AG
Game of his life. Well pitched.

Congrats.
Expert Analysis
BirdieJF
AG
Voted. In first with 19.6%
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
VORED! 19.7%. Next closes is James Ramsey from Florida State with 19.4%.

Way to go, Ross! Whooooop!
liquidmonkey93
AG
Does anyone know why Reynolds did not play today?
Cornerback31
AG
Way to go Ross. First for Graduating and Second for the no-no. You're a great Aggie and represent our school well in so many ways !!!!
sharpdressedman
Wonderful! Congratulations, and way to represent Texas A&M.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
I had been telling a fellow Ag about 2 weeks ago that Stripling was our very best pitcher, but that he rarely got run support. But sometimes one is enough.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.