Baseball tryouts...

11,883 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Yell Practice
SEC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My cousin just got accepted to A&M and is interested in playing baseball, does baseball have walk on tryouts like football or is it pretty much if you aren't recruited you won't play?
coconutED
AG
My understanding is that the answer to both questions is "Yes."

Tell your cousin to check out the club team.

I'm sure there are people around here that are more in the know than I am, however.
eeaggie11
AG
Can always look into being a manager.
AggieBB
AG
If he's not an invited walk on, no sense in wasting his time unless he's a pitcher and can throw mid 90's at tryouts. Then again if he could do that he likely would have already been talking to some pro scouts.

The club team is a great option. Not sure when their tryouts are but they do have a webpage.
victory
AG
Not all invited Walkons even make the team so he would have to be pretty special
twindaddy01
AG
Yes there are walk on tryouts. They are usually held on the early fall. Any full time student can try to walk on.

Throwout
AG
Tell him to go for it. I did it as a freshman. If nothing else, he'll get to spend some time on Olsen.
hot dog
AG
Brock Sampson
AG
Pretty close to impossible to make the team, but it is worth it trying out. Getting to hit on Olsen is a sweet feeling.
JAD AG85
AG
SEC - Tell him to go for it. I tried out as a Freshman and made it. Chandler invited me and about 3 or 4 others back for the spring after the fall tryouts....2B and TAMU SID - Alan Cannon from Dallas Skyline was one of the others invited back for that spring. You never get another chance.

Rest of the story for me is I was paying my way and Chandler did not offer me any money and I did NOT return to play in the spring. Still had a lot of friends on the team - Todd Edwards (only after Blinn transfer), Jerry Salinas and others. My son is in the same boat as an entering freshman for the Fall 2012 semester at Colorado School of Mines for Basketball. He is easily a D2 prospect, but they were ranked #1 in D2 most of the year and only have 1 senior and Coach Orser signed 2 kids in the fall. He wants to be there for the education, probably much like your nephew at A&M. I'm telling him to work hard in AAU and go for it.
Joe Nobody
The problem with being an uninvited walk-on is that it does not matter if you are as good as the recruited players, you have to be clearly better than them to make the team. You can make it if you have extreme speed or power. The coach has to see you as a difference-maker. Hit one ball after another out of the park or run a 6.5 sixty and you can make the team. I know a kid three years ago who made JUCO all-conference, threw low 90s and called Childress to let him know he would come to play at A&M with no scholarship aid. Childress told him he wasn't interested. This kid ended up pitching two years of minor league baseball before being released. Not saying it is impossible to walk on and make it, but it is close to impossible. Coach Chandler was very different from Coach Childress. Chandler was a nice man.
CampingAg
AG
Go for it! I tried out for the club team last year and didn't make it. He's got nothin' to lose! And try again the next year if you don't make it!
firethewagonup
tell him he will NEVER regret doing it, but he will regret it if he doesn't!
Tex100
AG
Corps also has a club team. The original club team plays Div I club and the Corps team plays Div II club. Nice to know that kids have options to attend Texas A&M and still play competitve baseball.
Aggies
EMY92
AG
I think the new scholarship & roster limits instituted a couple of years ago have made it much harder for a walk on to make the team.
Duke_Droese
He should go for it and enjoy it. I don't see it as a waste of time at all. Maybe there is little to no chance that he actually gets more than a few cuts in the cage and a few grounders at this position, but most people would pay just to get a chance to do that at Olsen.
northpoint
Old thread but was moroney a walk on a few years ago?

Joe Nobody
I went to walk-on tryouts maybe 10 years ago when a friend's son was trying out. They had the outfielders throw the ball from right field to 3rd base. Many of those trying out could not reach 3rd base EVEN WITH THE ROLL OF THE BALL. It was comical.
allenb
quote:
Many of those trying out could not reach 3rd base EVEN WITH THE ROLL OF THE BALL. It was comical.
Depends on where they were throwing from. From 300 feet, they have to be able to throw it 90 mph to reach 3rd. It looks so easy.
Goose06
AG
quote:
quote:
Many of those trying out could not reach 3rd base EVEN WITH THE ROLL OF THE BALL. It was comical.
Depends on where they were throwing from. From 300 feet, they have to be able to throw it 90 mph to reach 3rd. It looks so easy.
If you square your shoulders and get a small crow hop in then throwing the ball 90 mph is pretty easy for any high level baseball player. I was not a high level baseball player, I topped out at about 80 mph from the mound, but throwing the ball from a medium depth in right field to 3B was a relatively easy throw to make on 1 hop.
Joe Nobody
It always amazes me how ignorant people are so willing to raise their hand. allenb is dead wrong. A 90 mph throw from the RF position will hit the third baseman's glove in the air on a line. As Goose06 correctly points out, 80 mph will get you a nice looking throw on one hop into 3rd.

And note that I said the balls stopped *rolling* before reaching 3rd. They died out around the SS position. These guys weren't throwing faster than 55mph.
mm98
AG
I tried out in 94. There were 91 of us there. Chandler was in the stands, now a scout for the Dodgers, and Johnson was the coach. I was all pumped because chandler recognized me from previous scouting and went out of his way to compliment me prior to taking the field.

Made me feel awesome but that would turn out to be the lone highlight of my day. I did okay, not great, and they only took two JUCO guys. Both of those guys didn't even travel and we're basically practice players only.

One guy trying out with me for catcher had OU sweatpants on, a worn out fielders glove, and soccer cleats. That was probably the funniest thing I remember.
Joe Nobody
Coach Chandler died about 15 years ago. He was a nice man.
mm98
AG
Really sad to hear that.
Yell Practice
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.