Poor Toomer's Oaks

7,095 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TigerinTexas
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those poor trees.

quote:
Auburn police arrested a 29-year-old man they say is responsible for setting the fire to one of the oak trees at Toomer's cornerfollowing Auburn's win over LSU on Saturday.

Jochen Wiest, an Auburn resident who police say is "not affiliated with Auburn University," was arrested on Sunday on charges of desecration of a venerable object, a Class A misdemeanor in Alabama, which carries a penalty of up to one year in jail and up to a $6,000 fine.

At least it was only one of them.
SW AG80
AG
I went to Auburn for our game. Both oaks looked like they were about dead. An Auburn guy I was talking to said the oaks probably would not make it b/c the ground was still contaminated.
combat wombat™
AG
I read a long article about the oaks once. The article said that one of the special things about the oaks was that they were even there. The region and/or soil wasn't typically conducive to live oaks. It's not terribly surprising they didn't look too hot based upon that. Add poison to the soil and that makes things worse.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Honestly, when you look at the amount of TP that's thrown over all those trees, it's surprising there hasn't been more incidents of drunken idiots purposely or accidentally setting one on fire before.

Seeing as how quickly and easily that tree went up, it wouldn't take much of a flame I'd imagine to do the job.
SassyAggie10
Buck O Five
AG
If someone killed the century tree, I would want the perpetrator to be put on a payment plan to replace it with the largest oak that could be feasibly moved.
Lungblood
I think we should water it with the blood of lsu fans... But in a respectful way.
TigerinTexas
The oaks are D-E-A-D, and were years ago. They were dead by the time Harvey Updike called into the Finebaum show. The trees had already ingested too much Spike 80DF by the time the Ag department caretakers got notice. It was a slow death, though.
BiochemAg97
AG
TigerinTexas said:

The oaks are D-E-A-D, and were years ago. They were dead by the time Harvey Updike called into the Finebaum show. The trees had already ingested too much Spike 80DF by the time the Ag department caretakers got notice. It was a slow death, though.

FYI, They replaced them already.
TigerinTexas
My bad, with all the toilet paper you can't tell if there are actual live trees under there...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.