Jerdin Hare

8,159 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by T Durden
AggieBand2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone noticed this?
I've heard several different media talking heads pronounce it this way for the last few years.
Biz Ag
AG
It's spelled Jordan. Named after Ralph "Shug" Jordan who played and coached football at Auburn. His last name was pronounced "Jer-den"
AggieBand2004
AG
Well that's just weird
skins74
AG
No weirder than having an eagle as your mascot and call yourself the Tigers..
Satellite of Love
quote:

Or having a boarder collie as the face of the school and calling ourselves the Aggies?
BQ78
AG
SOL:

quote:
boarder collie

Rev pays no rent at A&M.
skins74
AG
quote:
quote:

Or having a boarder collie as the face of the school and calling ourselves the Aggies?
Fair point but first, she isn't a boarder collie, she lives for free with the Corps. A tiger is a very identifiable mascot so why the eagle? And we don't go around yelling "War Puppy."
TXAGBQ76
AG
There is actually a pretty cool story behind the war eagle
Satellite of Love
quote:
SOL:

quote:
boarder collie

Rev pays no rent at A&M.

Dammit man, I'm an engineer and not an english teacher!!!

I guve my wife so much grief about their tiger fighting war eagles. It makes no sense!!!
GreatSullysGhost
Sarge, Rev, Aggies, wildcat, elephants, zips, fish, pissheads, good/bad bull. A&M isn't confusing the rest of the SEC at all...
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
quote:

Or an elephant mascot for the Crimson Tide.
John Francis Donaghy
Or a hound dog to represent the Volunteers, for that matter...
Smee
Great place to watch some football.
Vegas-aggie
AG
quote:
It's spelled Jordan. Named after Ralph "Shug" Jordan who played and coached football at Auburn. His last name was pronounced "Jer-den"
Bill Jordan of Real Tree camo pronounces his name the same way.
I can't believe Jeff Foxworthy hasn't used that yet.
If you mispronounce your own last name.........you might be a red neck !!!
brotheraggie
No matter what the stadium is called the Aggies still can not stop their running backs.
GreatSullysGhost
quote:
No matter what the stadium is called the Aggies still can not stop their running backs.

Ags are 2-0 in auburn but haven't beaten them in CS since 1919... Jerdin Hay-er isn't the problem
ringorat1
AG
Border Collie, not boarder.
AG
Never understood the whole "Jer-din" pronunciation, either. Seems stupid to me. Nobody else on earth would look at the name "Jordan" and pronounce it that way.
rwtxag83
AG
Boerne, TX. Pronounced like Bernie, not Bo Eern.

There are many others.
Biz Ag
AG
I once heard someone on the Weather Channel pronounce Cuero as "Q-Row" during some flooding there.

And a sip friend thought Refugio was promounced "Refugee-o"
AggieBand2004
AG
quote:
I once heard someone on the Weather Channel pronounce Cuero as "Q-Row" during some flooding there.

And a sip friend thought Refugio was promounced "Refugee-o"
You're living wrong
Biz Ag
AG
He was like Norm Crosby.

Once dated a cosmopolitan major - you know, the types that style hair.

And he accused his sister of constantly putting his life under a gyroscope.
MidTnAg
AG
quote:
I have attended football games in numerous football stadiums. By far, by far, by far, the most exhilarating experience I ever had at any game was watching War Eagle VII fly around Jordan-Hare Stadium just prior to the start of the A&M-Auburn football games.

Although they were incredible experiences, the flights were way too short. Somehow, they should not show the eagle his food so soon and let him circle longer. Guess there are reasons why this is not done.

I have often wondered what would happen if one of the War Eagles ever perceived that something someone in the stands was holding was a live small animal and dive-bombed it. Maybe that is why they do not allow it to fly longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle

http://5newsonline.com/2014/08/30/history-of-auburns-war-eagle/

= = =
http://family.auburn.edu/profiles/blogs/the-beginning-of-war-eagle

The Beginning of "War Eagle"
Posted by Danielle Nicole Albert on February 7, 2011.

The mystery surrounding the origin of Auburn University's battle cry, "War Eagle," abounds more each year as increasingly more fans proclaim they know the accurate "War Eagle" story.

Many people outside of Auburn University simply think Auburn has two mascots: the tiger and the war eagle. Let us not be confused. We are the Auburn Tigers and our battle cry is, "War Eagle."

Caroline Catchpole, a sophomore in pre-med and a passionate Auburn fan states, "We don't have an eagle and a tiger. The War Eagle is a game day symbol of our war cry and Auburn tradition. Aubie the tiger is our mascot and the representative of our university."

Auburn University's website states that the most popular version of the "War Eagle" story dates back to 1892 when Auburn and Georgia met for the first time on the football field. The story tells of a Civil War veteran and his pet eagle he had found on a battlefield and rescued. During the game, the eagle soared into the sky over their field as the Auburn football team simultaneously charged the Georgia end zone and achieved their first, exhilarating win over Georgia. After the Tigers' victory, the eagle suddenly nose-dived, crashed into the field, and died. However, the "War Eagle" lived on in the hearts and spirits of proud Auburn fans everywhere. But if you were to walk down the bustling concourse and manage to stop a student dashing to class you might find a different answer.

Catchpole was stopped and asked which "War Eagle" story she was most familiar with. She replied, "The most common version of the 'War Eagle' story that I've always heard is that a professor discovered an eagle off the field of battle, brought the bird back with him when he returned and the professor and the eagle became a well-known sight around campus. During a game, in which Auburn was losing, the eagle took flight around the stadium and the students, recognizing the bird, began to chant, 'War Eagle.' This spurred the team onto victory and 'War Eagle' became the Auburn University war cry."

Several other versions of the "War Eagle" story are even vastly different. Some say "War Eagle" originated from when Auburn played the Carlisle Indians in 1914 and had to overcome their beastly tackle, named Bald Eagle, so they chanted "War Eagle."

Others believe "War Eagle" started from the Plains Indians folklore of how they wore the "War Eagle's" golden feathers for good luck on their war bonnets.

Will we ever know the truth? Even if we do not ever find a clear answer, the mystery of the "War Eagle" origin is just another thing that makes being an Auburn fan so exciting. So wherever you go and whatever you do, don't forget to give an Auburn shout out of "War Eagle!"
= = =
BoDog
AG
Rev isn't a border (or boarder) Collie....
The Agly Duckling
quote:
Same with Rev.
McInnis80
"Jer den" is the way Jordan is pronounced in the Deep South. The one exception I know of is the River Jordan in the Middle East. It is still pronounced "Jor dan".
skins74
AG
Should have called it Shug's Shack
T Durden
AG
In 2012 that Eagle took a bit of a detour over the jumbotron and made his flight last a bit longer. Then flew back in to the stadium to a very loud roar.

Was awesome. We had a blast that weekend. Best road trip and I'll never forget it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.