Aggie Gymnastics? Y/N?

71,843 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by TheTexian
ApacheAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts? With the number if gyms all around the state, one would think we would have a chance to assemble a team. It would be another draw to the campus and Reed Arena. The SEC has several teams in the mix. FWIW.
understandingmom
I would love to see it added. I don't see how it would be too expensive. Expensive, of course, but not toooo. My daughter is a gymnast, a minority, and excels academically. Her goal is a college scholarship. Her mom, dad, and sisters would love for her to stay local. She is young so there is time. I realize it is unlikely to be added but there is hope nonetheless.
ApacheAggie
AG
G. Rollie's set up would have equally worked as well. After posting, he idea of a practice facility would be the only hitch... Then again the school's current master planner likes to delete parking lots for buildings without replacing the parking lost while trying to increase the student body capacity flowing thru campus.
Matsui
AG
No.
Neach Lagha
It already exists... Not sure where the new gym is but there was an entire gym of gymnastics stuff before
skins74
AG
I would love to see the most athletic sport on campus.
ColoTxAg
I think it would be great...add exposure to our University and well worth the expense!!!
understandingmom
quote:
It already exists... Not sure where the new gym is but there was an entire gym of gymnastics stuff before

What exists is a club. i do not think the university puts any money into it. They do have a place they practice and hold a yearly meet that is on campus. The best i understand the kids who participate pay for stuff on their own.

The 2004 Olympic all around champion lives in Texas and is married to an Aggie!
Currently, the best gymnast in the world is from spring texas. Watch for her in the next Olympics.

There is a lot of talent in these young girls in Texas. Several girls from a college station gym have won state awards and placed very well against others in Texas. And as the optional season just started there will be more this year.
greg.w.h
AG
Needs a sponsoring BMA who believes in it. Won't go anywhere without that. I personally believe that since we're in the SEC as a matter of shared culture it would be a good idea to add Gymnastics. But it isn't necessary, just "nice to have".
2ManchuAg
AG
Yes, definitely! My Daughter is an Optional level gymnast and has asked me many times "when will A&M get a gymnastics team?" I actually thought it would be an accepted move after we joined the SEC. Yes, Our state has great gyms all over (we're just North of San Antonio) plus Bela Karoli (sp?) has the U.S. Olympic Training Facility on his ranch near Huntsville. Just seems entirely TOO logical for an Aggie Gymnastics team!!
Bucketrunner
Wouldn't we have to have a corresponding men's sport? That could increase the cost.
understandingmom
Why am I in Dallas, TEXAS with a Texas A&M sweatshirt on watching Arkansas, LSU, OU, and Iowa State compete?
There is a slide on the projector and they announced it...about bringing gymnastics team to aggieland. I took a picture of the huge sign. If someone wants to post it email me at gvsa_mdue@yahoo.com
kordell84
AG
back in 1980 there was a team that they dropped to a club sport. My wife was going to be on that team when she enrolled that year...so she tried out for diving team and dove for 3 years there...would be cool to revive it after all these years.
rwtxag83
AG
quote:
Wouldn't we have to have a corresponding men's sport? That could increase the cost.

I don't think you have to have a corresponding number of mens sports to offset womens, I think it's the other way around.

We added Equestrian a few years ago partially to comply with Title IX, and I highly doubt the AD is just itching to take on a bunch of expenses for an additional varsity sport. Maybe if one of our existing women's sports went away.
PPlayboy87
AG
Byrne said the cost for medical treatment of injuries was what made it so expensive. I don't know about that, but I'm a huge fan. Watch the Friday night competition on SEC Network every week.

I have to laugh every time I watch a men's basketball game and the announcers and crowd go nuts when a 6'9" dude jumps two feet vertically while running and puts a smaller ball through a larger hoop. Compare that to a young woman doing a Standing Arabian on the BB. I know which one I think is by far the more impressive.
understandingmom
The below message was on a banner and announced at the Metroplex Challenge in Ft. Worth on Jan. 31st.
The NCAA D1 schools that competed: Arkansas, OU, Iowa State, and LSU.
Each gymnast that was from Texas marched in with her out of state team waving a TEXAS flag.

Verbatim quote that I took a picture of:

HELP PUT TEXAS ON THE MAP OF NCAA D1 WOMEN'S GYMNASTICS!!
Texas A&M is considering a women's D1 team. Feel strongly that the lone
state state should compete at the highest collegiate level of our great
sport? You can let them know at:
mgirton@athletics.tamu.edu
turboboost
AG
Yes!
KCup17
AG
They could use the gym in the PEAP building. I believe the club team uses that for practice currently
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Huge crowd last night at Alabama vs LSU at Alabama. LSU 's coach been at LSU 38 years !
chrisag92
AG
My wife and I were talking about this the other day. Keep seeing highlights on sec now. Agree Texas is just as fertile for gymnastics recruits as football.
TXPremiumBoy
AG
Wife took our youngest to Red Stick last night for a meet ... She competed this morning ... But then they went to LSU vs Minnesota meet tonight. Wife texted that they announced a crowd of 13,100! Gotta give those drunk ass Cajuns credit, they support the heck out of their women.
2ManchuAg
AG
TXPremium-we were there last nite, too! Agreed, Amazing crowd and support! Kept imagining stands full of maroon and white not purple n gold...my daughter goes at 12:45 today.
PPlayboy87
AG
quote:
The below message was on a banner and announced at the Metroplex Challenge in Ft. Worth on Jan. 31st.
The NCAA D1 schools that competed: Arkansas, OU, Iowa State, and LSU.
Each gymnast that was from Texas marched in with her out of state team waving a TEXAS flag.

Verbatim quote that I took a picture of:

Thanks for the info on an address we can write to show support for the creation of an Aggie team!

With the SEC Network showing Women's Gymnastics on Friday nights, hopefully we can grow support for an A&M program. Its disappointing watching all these Texas girls competing for other SEC schools because they have no choice. Let's give them one!
chrisag92
AG
Awesome. Will email support.
hardtimes
quote:
quote:

I don't think you have to have a corresponding number of mens sports to offset womens, I think it's the other way around.

We added Equestrian a few years ago partially to comply with Title IX, and I highly doubt the AD is just itching to take on a bunch of expenses for an additional varsity sport. Maybe if one of our existing women's sports went away.
One of our existing women's sports may be going away whether we like it or not.
chrisag92
AG
quote:

Sent an email yesterday. That address is for
Marcy Girton | Chief of Staff. She responded and said there are no plans to creat a team at this time. She didn't sound put off by my email but I don't think she would appreciate a flood going to her personal inbox. So that direction doesn't seem like a legit tactic.
RDV-1992
Support adding gymnastics to A&M's varsity sports.
CDub06
AG
Gymnastics, Women's Bowling, Men's Soccer...
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
I would love to see it added. I don't see how it would be too expensive. Expensive, of course, but not toooo. My daughter is a gymnast, a minority, and excels academically. Her goal is a college scholarship. Her mom, dad, and sisters would love for her to stay local. She is young so there is time. I realize it is unlikely to be added but there is hope nonetheless.
What is the point of her being a minority?
CrossBowAg99
AG
So is this a way for girls who aren't good enough to the Olympics to get a free education?
chrisag92
AG
quote:
So is this a way for girls who aren't good enough to the Olympics to get a free education?

Um isn't that the case with 95% of all college athletics. I think there are commercials about it.
PPlayboy87
AG
quote:
Guess that means we can do away with Men's basketball too, right?
DevilD77
AG
I for one would like to see both a full men's and women's gymnastic program started at A&M as well as a men's soccer program.
Velvet Jones
AG
quote:

Well there goes the football team.

GreatSullysGhost
quote:
quote:

Well there goes the football team.

I thought that the entire football team was killed in a tragic bus accident on the way to Starkville last season causing them to eventually be replaced by cyborgs before the Auburn game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.