A&M Basketball Scrimmage News and Notes (Moved From Premium)

17,009 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MMantle
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
I decided to move the premium report I generated for the premium subscribers last week so y'all can see what we are generating over there, and also to see the discussion from a different group of posters. It might give you a different perspective from what was discussed here about last week's scrimmage.

*****************************************************************************************************

Head coach Billy Kennedy and the Texas A&M staff unveiled the 2016-2017 basketball team with a twenty-minute open scrimmage at Reed Arena Thursday evening. The white team outlasted the maroon team 36-32 in a contest that started cold but ended with plenty of heat inside the paint with a new-look post-centric squad.

DJ Hogg and Tyler Davis led all scorers with 13 points each. Tavario Miller added 10 points. Freshman Eric Vila chipped-in 9 points (all on 3-point goals) and freshman big man Robert Williams drew gasps from the crowd with three spectacular blocked shots...one ending up in the visitor's team tunnel entrance.

Post Play

Overall, the theme of the night was the depth, talent and athleticism in the post. There's no question this team is the most talented and athletic of any A&M team in recent memory. Tyler Davis and Tonny Trocha-Morelos played well as expected and they will be rated as the best 1-2 post duo in the SEC. Trocha-Morelos led the team with six rebounds and added six points. But the surprise came with the two players who will likely play a back-up role this season. Senior Tavario Miller has always been a defensive presence in his career with little focus on his offensive skills. But if tonight is any indication, he'll be a scoring option on the block. He has developed a nice turn-around baby-hook shot that he scored twice over Tyler Davis. The offense was feeding him in the post which is something that rarely happened in his first three years. I'm not saying he'll be a "go-to" player on offense, but defenses will need to account for him when he sets-up in the post.

The newcomer that received the most buzz was freshman Robert Williams. While he stands only 6-foot-9, his 7-foot-6 wingspan allows him to play much longer...more like a 6-foot-11 player. He's an elite athlete who runs the floor well in transition which led to a alley-oop thunderous dunk in transition that brought the crowd to their feet. He led the team with three blocked shots and he changed several shots...including point-blank shots by Tyler Davis whom he did a good job guarding for the first period of the scrimmage.

What also makes this group of big men very good is their ability and desire to pass in the post when defensive help approaches that leaves the backside man open. The team got several easy baskets with good passing in the paint.

Perimeter Play

With all the promise and excitement in the paint, this season will ultimately hinge on perimeter play and the ballhandling at the point guard position. Admon Gilder played significant minutes at point guard as expected. He played the position effectively and minimized mistakes turning the ball over only once. However, forcing Gilder into that role minimizes his strength as a scorer. He tallied only two points, and he was at his best last season hitting some critical baskets in pressure situations as a shooting guard. If he does his job and gets the ball into the paint, his ability to score isn't needed as much, but it would help this team if the coaching staff can confidently put the ball in somebody else's hands late in the game and give Gilder the ability to set-and-shoot big shots down the stretch.

Behind Gilder at the point, graduate transfer JC Hampton and sophomore transfer preferred walk-on Chase Carlton registered the most minutes in the scrimmage at the point. Carlton is a high-energy player who spent last season at Ranger JC under former A&M coach Billy Clyde Gillespie. Something tells me he'll become a fan favorite at some point. Carlton led the team with four assists and tied for the second most rebounds with four. Hampton is bigger and thicker than advertised coming from Lipscomb. He made a couple of nice plays attacking the basket, scoring four points and generated two assists.

Where I think the rubber meets the road for this 2016-2017 team on offense will be with two of the tallest perimeter players in college basketball. DJ Hogg started off cold on Thursday, missing several long range shots, but once he started attacking the basket and backed off the perimeter defense, not only did he heat up, but the offense as a whole seemed to run much hotter. After scoring only 12 points in the first 10 minute session, Hogg and the white team lit up the scoreboard with 24 points.

On the maroon side, freshman Eric Vila was very effective on the perimeter hitting three of four 3-point attempts on the night. At 6-foot-10 with the athleticism and quickness of a shooting guard, he'll be able to get his shot off...and it's a smooth shot. But ultimately, if he proves himself as a reliable 3-point shooter, then the entry passes into the post will be much easier with a defense that's stretched. And ultimately, I think that is the key to success this season. If Vila and Hogg are hot and formidable from the perimeter, this offense has the potential to be very good.

Here's the breakdown of minutes played tonight by player (20 minutes total):

20 Gilder
20 DJ Hogg
20 Trocha-Morelos
20 Hampton
19 Vila
18 Davis
18 Miller
18 Collins
17 Williams
17 Carlton
7 Smith
3 Eubanks
3 French
olib
AG
Thanks Hop.
Hop
Staff
AG
If you have any questions, let me know. I'll check back.
redline248
AG
Projected starting 5 are Davis, Trocha, Gilder, Hogg and...?
BurnetAggie99
Thanks for the write up
the_wrecker
AG
Sounds incredibly promising, except at PG. Hate to see Gilder wasted in that role.
Hop
Staff
AG
redline248 said:

Projected starting 5 are Davis, Trocha, Gilder, Hogg and...?

I'm thinking Hampton. But while that is the projected starting lineup, it's clear that guys like Vila, Williams, Miller, and Carlton will register a lot of minutes. With Eubanks just now getting back into action, it will be interesting to see if he can jump into the mix.
TrueGrit69
AG
Nice summary... had the family out & sat just down from you tonight. Agree 100% about Carlton! He's got a lot of grit to his game, and has a high motor. Looking forward to watching this team evolve, and hopefully make a run late into March! The guys have definitely put the time in w/ Coach Darby... Robert Williams is a freak at athlete.
stuckett
Is Eubanks still recovering? Small amount of minutes
Hop
Staff
AG
stuckett said:

Is Eubanks still recovering? Small amount of minutes

He's certainly behind and missed offseason workouts and some early practices. I'm sure it had an impact on the pecking order tonight, but Eubanks needs to show progress if he wants to jump into the rotation.
OKCAG02
AG
How good is Hampton? He had some nice stats at Liscomb. Can be be an effective PG?
Hop
Staff
AG
OKCAG02 said:

How good is Hampton? He had some nice stats at Liscomb. Can be be an effective PG?

I'd call him more of a combo guard than pure point guard. He can help at the point, but he's not a primary point. Really, nobody is the perfect solution at the point. With so much talent at the other four positions, the job is just to initiate the offense and not turn the ball over.
JDRAggie2011
AG
Seems like JJ Caldwell not playing this year could really hold us back on offense. Coach Kennedy's teams have always played better with a true point on the floor.
FrioAg 00
AG
The NCAA and our point guard situation this offseason is so frustrating.

I still expect a very good season, but we have a ceiling that we wouldn't have if our guys would have made it in

Ok still excited to watch a good team and I think we will be outstanding in '17/'18
DTP02
AG
No mention of Collins, who had generated some offseason buzz, despite him playing more minutes than Carlton. Is this a "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"
gigemJTH12
AG
Hop,

do you have a player comparison for Williams?

encouraging notes!

unfortunate how the PG position has played out. Especially because everywhere else seems to be in a really good spot.
Ashes4Trees
Going to be fun again. Wish we were better on the perimeter.
agtrevino07
AG
Vila looks even taller than Trocha. Do you see him as his replacement in the following season?
Hickory High
AG
agtrevino07 said:

Vila looks even taller than Trocha. Do you see him as his replacement in the following season?

He's gotta gain A LOT of muscle. I've seen him on campus. Dude is SKINNY.
GE
AG
Collins is the only player who got significant minutes that you didnt say anything about. How did he look?
DTP02
AG
agtrevino07 said:

He's a perimeter player. Even if he adds significant bulk, he hasn't developed a post game. He may be able to isolate on a perimeter defender and take him into the paint for mismatch purposes, but he's a wing by skillset.
cbates85
So I know Corprew is ineligible but will he be able to play next season with Caldwell?
DallasAggie87
AG
cbates85 said:

So I know Corprew is ineligible but will he be able to play next season with Caldwell?
Corprew is at a juco. He'll have to graduate before he can enroll and play at a D1 school.
cbates85
DallasAggie87 said:

cbates85 said:

Corprew is at a juco. He'll have to graduate before he can enroll and play at a D1 school.
Bummer so probably won't see him at A&M.
zmurda
I still curse the sky at Elijah Thomas.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Caldwell not getting in is going to really handicap our guard scoring this year I think.

Gilder really needs to be at the 2-spot. He's waisting his talents at the point, IMO. We need him to develop more as a scorer, not a PG. Hogg is overrated IMO, because he's not near the shooter people give him credit to be. Smooth stroke but % wise he's just average.

Hopefully Caldwell is getting a ton of experience at practice, because if Davis stays for his junior year, this team will have elite 8/final four talent.
micahb2002
AG
Not having a point guard in basketball is like not having a QB in football. It is probably going to be a long season, unless someone steps up with solid PG play.
AggiePops
From what you've seen of them so far, once this team has had a chance to play together for a while and jell as a team and become comfortable in their roles, how do you think they will compare to last year's squad?
BrandoC
AG
Caldwell gets to play after Christmas break right?
Conner4real
AG
micahb2002 said:

Not having a point guard in basketball is like not having a QB in football. It is probably going to be a long season, unless someone steps up with solid PG play.
I disagree, especially with this team. We do not need a traditional PG to come in and set up the offense in the half court. We need someone who can get the ball across the line and make a decent entry pass to the post. 1st option on this team will always be Tyler Davis.

We have enough play makers on the perimeter (Gilder, Hogg, imo Vila) to be fine without an above average PG.
DTP02
AG
Forbritisheyesonly said:

micahb2002 said:

I disagree, especially with this team. We do not need a traditional PG to come in and set up the offense in the half court. We need someone who can get the ball across the line and make a decent entry pass to the post. 1st option on this team will always be Tyler Davis.

We have enough play makers on the perimeter (Gilder, Hogg, imo Vila) to be fine without an above average PG.

The problem with that is we are playing Gilder at point because we don't have even an average PG otherwise, which partially takes away the one playmaker/scorer we have in the backcourt. Gilder is also our best perimeter defender and playing him at point is also going to detract from that as it's just too much weight to carry to be the lead guard and perimeter stopper and play a bunch of minutes.

If we had an average PG alternative and could play Gilder off the ball, we'd be more than fine. But we don't.
Hop
Staff
AG
micahb2002 said:

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. That's all you need to know.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Hop said:

micahb2002 said:

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. That's all you need to know.

mdanyc03
AG
micahb2002 said:

That isn't true at all. A point guard is nothing like a qb and in modern basketball, when you have skilled, 6'8- 6'10 wing players, one could argue that the whole concept of a traditional point guard is obsolete.
Norton_12
AG
POTD honorable mention since you are ineligible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.