#sizematters

3,750 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ZooGuy
jml2621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
and so does talent.

With Caldwell ineligible, we should put our best players out there, regardless of traditional positions. They can all ball.

Gilder - 6 ft 4 in, 198 Confidence, savvy, handle, ability to see the floor, great defender, team leader. Will average 35 min/game
Hogg - 6 ft 9 in, 220 Hogg has put on muscle and strength, finishes well to the bucket, $ from outside
Trocha - 6 ft 10 in, 224 Trocha has an outside shot, surprisingly good outside-in D. Length can bother shooters.
Williams 6 ft 9 in 237 ibs Too athletic to keep on the bench for long
Davis 6 ft 10 in, 270. Added stamina to strength, midrange shot. Great hands and foot placement. Complete package.

OFF the bench:

Vila - Nice versatility, mobility, and Euroball game.
Tavario - great undersized post player - hustle, glue guy
JC Hampton - will give Admon some rest. Solid backup guard
Eubanks - we'll have to see once ready, but potential is there.

Matchups may force us to bring another guard in, but as we saw with the UK team of 2014-2014, size and length wins in basketball.

Fingers crossed the injury bug stays away. That starting 5 can make a dent in the NCAAs...where there is No Blood, No Foul.
EKG1996
AG
Don't see it unless Hogg has dramatically improved his ball handling skills.
GE
AG
I agree. Kennedy even mentioned that we are going to have to run zone and run an offense that is not dependent on the point guard creating. Basically anybody can start the offense.
jml2621
EKG1996 said:

Don't see it unless Hogg has dramatically improved his ball handling skills.

Hogg's fine off the break. Admon mentioned Hogg would even run some PG occasionally. the greatest growth for ballers is between Frosh and Soph year. I expect DJ to be an impressive guard/wing. At the next level, Hogg will likely be a 2 anyway, so the transition begins here.

This team belongs to Davis and Gilder. We're not deep, but with size and health, you don't have to be. CBS and ESPN take so many TOs during the tournament that the games last 3 hours.

jml2621
GE said:

I agree. Kennedy even mentioned that we are going to have to run zone and run an offense that is not dependent on the point guard creating. Basically anybody can start the offense.

Correct. We ran some weave last year when Caruso played point. We score well off the semi-break. Our passing was excellent. I saw BK make a lot of positive adjustments in gameplans. Hope he can continue without Stansbury

Now that Davis can hit the mid-range J, going all in on size can work...particularly in March.
Method Man
Love the weave. Some of the truly great teams initiate their offense with the weave...like the globetrotters!
BMOC86
AG
We will struggle guarding smaller, guard oriented teams.
mdanyc03
AG
BMOC86 said:

We will have to play zone but we have shot blockers this year so we can contest the three point line and we have a lot of length on the perimeter. I don't think that will be a problem.
hoya-ag
AG
I am interested to see if Caleb Smith can give us anything by the time conference play rolls around. Even 5-8 minutes a game would be helpful.
TMartin
Not convinced Gilder is a point guard......we're been down this road as recently as 2014.
bobinator
AG
BMOC86 said:

To varying degrees we've basically struggled with that for the last ten years. Why stop now.

The problem I see with this lineup is Trocha at the 3. His big advantage comes when he's being guarded by a four, but an athletic three? That's probably not a great matchup for Trocha. I also wonder how well Williams and Davis are going to pair together if Williams effectively can't shoot. Seems like it would be putting an extra defender in the paint for Davis.

Without sitting in on practice or anything, I'd probably move Trocha to the four, put Williams on the bench, and start Eubanks if he can play. He's pretty tall also, you're only losing a couple of inches there, but I'd think he'd help Hogg/Gilder with ball handling and allow Trocha the mismatches he gets at the four spot.

Again though, that's just based off their height. I haven't seen any of these guys do anything yet. Vila could be Dirk Nowitzki 2.0 or something.
Baby Billy
AG
I hope Eubanks got better in the off season. From what I saw, he had a long way to go last year as far as being an all around basketball player. He didn't show the ability to handle the ball very well.
greg.w.h
AG
Method Man said:

Love the weave. Some of the truly great teams initiate their offense with the weave...like the globetrotters!

<.<
>.>
o.O

See what you did there...
SassyAggie10

tell me about it
Method Man
hoya-ag said:

I am interested to see if Caleb Smith can give us anything by the time conference play rolls around. Even 5-8 minutes a game would be helpful.

Carlton is ahead of him.
ZooGuy
AG
We'd struggle to guard teams that have 2 smaller guards with that lineup.

I don't see Williams starting - probably Gilder at PG, Eubanks at SG, Hogg at SF, Trocha at PF, Davis at C.

That lineup would make more sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.