Phi Slamma Jamma 30 for 30

3,467 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MAROON
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17706334

Oh hell ya - my favorite college basketball teams of all time. Very cool they tracked down Benny Anders.
EKUAg
AG
Great episode IMHO.
Bunk Moreland
It's a subject matter that I'm really interested in, so for that I really liked it.

From a filmmaking perspective, it was not my favorite 30 for 30. Not even close.

Was great to see them track down Benny Anders.
whiteman
Clyde's dunk over Andre Turner is my favorite of all time.
Lefty96
AG
To this day I am still amazed that NC State beat Houston. Has to be one of the greatest upsets in a championship game on any level.
Method Man
Thanks for the spoiler, dilweeds.
monarch
S
That was good stuff;! Was taking some post grad classes at Cougar high back then and they sold every game out
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

It's a subject matter that I'm really interested in, so for that I really liked it.

From a filmmaking perspective, it was not my favorite 30 for 30. Not even close.

Was great to see them track down Benny Anders.
My thoughts exactly.

Wife and I were married in school and '84 & '86 grads so cheap entertainment (All Sports Pass) was all we could afford. We had some pretty entertaining sports years.

My favorite part of the show last night was when he signed Clyde. So poorly known in the city that they constantly printed his name wrong as "Chris Drexler". Clyde recalling how the lack of respect drove him.

Benny Anders stuff was good too.

Expected more on HAAAAAAAAkeem

czar_iv
AG
Lefty96 said:

To this day I am still amazed that NC State beat Houston. Has to be one of the greatest upsets in a championship game on any level.

I agree with that. The talent level between the two teams was huge even looking back today.
Method Man
The 30 for 30 on that NC State team was great too and reveals that they were a team of destiny.
coupland boy
AG
It was a great episode indeed.

I was very young and had no allegience to any school as yet but i sure was pulling for the tram from Texas. Was devastated by that loss to NC State.
bularry
czar_iv said:

Lefty96 said:

I agree with that. The talent level between the two teams was huge even looking back today.
several nba players on that nc state team. no greatest of all time talents like Akeem, but still a very talented team.
czar_iv
AG
I only remember Lowe playing in the NBA; the NC State wasn't that talented IMO. UH had a few NBA starters, Drexler and Olajuwon. The only real advantage that NC State had was coaching.
Method Man
Thurl Bailey played in the NBA.
czar_iv
AG
Method Man said:

Thurl Bailey played in the NBA.
Yep, I forgot about him
threeanout
AG
Quote:

[url=https://texags.com/forums/new/7/2789392/47509573][/url][url=https://texags.com/forums/new/7/2789392/47509573/quote][/url]

I was at the game in Albuquerque. Something I will never forget.
oldschool87
AG
Lefty96 said:

The greatest upset of all time... This Houston Team was the greatest basketball team ever assembled. It was an absolute travesty what happened to them.

For those that don't know, they were up 15 on NC St.. Was not a close game. Guy Lewis the Houston Head coach decided to slow the Ferrari down, took his foot off the gas and did what they had not done a single time all year. They went into a four corner stall. Back then there was no shot clock. NC St, was one of the best half court teams on the planet. The perfect storm was created. Houston was not the greatest at a set offense, they were a high octane fast break push it a 1000 mph... You couldn't stop them.

NC St. started scoring Houston stopped. Last shot was 2 feet short, was grabbed and put in for the win.

Houston wins by 20 if Guy Lewis sits on his hands...

One of the top 4 all time basketball games played was Louisville vs Houston... Houston was down 10? in the 2nd half, and then the highlight reel started rolling, something like 6 consecutive dunks and a 14 - 0 run and it was over in 2 minutes...
rlb28
AG
1983 Thurl Baily, round 1 pick 7
1983 Sidney Lowe, round 2, pick 25
1983 Dereck Whittenburg, round 3 pick 51
1984 Lorenzo Charles, round 2 pick 41
1984 Cozell McQueen, round 4 pick 91
MAROON
AG
1982 Rob Williams, Rd 1, Pick 19, Denver
1983 Clyde Drexler, Rd 1, Pick 14, Portland
1983 Larry Micheaux, Rd 1, Pick 29, Chicago
1984 Akeem Olajuwaon, Rd 1, Pick 1, Houston
1984 Micheal Young, Rd 1, Pick 24, Boston
1985 Reid Gettys, Rd 5, Chicago
1986, Alvin Franklin, Rd 4, Sacramento.

five first round picks - just amazing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.