SEC basketball spreadsheet

1,687 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bobinator
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had some free time a couple weeks ago and compiled a spreadsheet showing SEC basketball. It has basic statistics for every player in the league from last season, height/weight (from most current released rosters for each team), and new players and exiting players for each team. It also has recruiting rankings and class year for every player.

I'll add some more later, but if there is any other filter of this data you guys are interested in seeing, let me know and I'll post it.

I plan to put together an analysis comparing recruiting rankings and class year to individual statistics, but here are a couple easy to digest items I found interesting:
  • There are 93 players that played in a game last season who are no longer on an SEC roster this season. Only 46 of them were seniors.
  • Teams that lost the most from last season in terms of points production, in order are:
  • 1) UK - 62 2) Miss. St. - 57.7 3) Tennessee - 52.2 4) Auburn - 51.2 5) Ole Miss - 47.3 6) A&M - 45.1
  • Teams that return the least minutes played per game (among players who averaged 10 or more minutes)
  • 1) Kentucky - 2 players, 51 minutes per game 2) Miss. St. - 2 players - 57 minutes per game 3) A&M - 5 players - 90 minutes per game. To put this one in perspective, #9 on this list was 98 minutes per game so UK and Miss. State are the true outliers, along with UGA who returned 128 MPG
GE
AG
This site needs a preview post feature so I know how f'ed up it's going to look when I post it after it looks fine in this box.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
This site needs a preview post feature
yes please
bobinator
AG
Data in college basketball is interesting to me since there are so many teams and relatively few of the good ones play each other.

But you should add a team hate-ability rating based on a matrix of players, head coaches and fans combining average earned hate with specific hate points.

The longer a player or coach has been there, the more hate he's earned on average, but there can be hate added or taken away for special circumstances.
GE
AG
I dont have race as a data point. Ill look into adding it. Everybody knows that white players are far easier to hate.
bobinator
AG
It's just a white multiplier. A whitiplier if you will. Also the team quality factors into hate. It's hard to hate a player on a crappy team.

((Average earned player hate) x (Previous year win total)) (^4 if white)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.