Caldwell Ineligible

8,960 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought they were getting in?
GE
AG
Where did you hear that?
tremble
AG
Lame
6-4-3
AG
Too bad for the young man. Here's hoping things will work out for him next season.
Method Man
I think we get him in after JUCO ball.
LonghornsNo1
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/09/16/jj-caldwell-redshirt-academic-ineligible-texas-am/

NCAA is an absolute joke.
Method Man
quote:
Where did you hear that?

Kennedy, Logan, pumpkinhead, GE. Everyone said Caldwell just needed to be cleared by the NCAA. Kennedy compared him to Diallo. Logan was optimistic.
6-4-3
AG
So do they have some sort of audit committee that goes around and studies home school content and makes a decision that says... Sorry Mom, but this syllabus is really lacking on core areas of chemistry? I guess I don't know how subjective the process is for home schoolers.
nickstro66
AG
I know this hurts us, but I'm a fan of the NCAA cracking down on homeschool stuff like this
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
Where did you hear that?
Kennedy, Logan, pumpkinhead, GE. Everyone said Caldwell just needed to be cleared by the NCAA. Kennedy compared him to Diallo. Logan was optimistic.
Sorry, I meant in reference to the title. Hadn't read it elsewhere and was wondering what your source was for him being ruled ineligible. Obviously it's legitimate news, but still a good idea to include the source in your post.

Really crappy news. Everyone seemed pretty optimistic about him getting cleared so that sucks. At least he will be able to practice with the team all year and eligible next season. My season prediction just went from borderline sweet 16 to hopeful we make the tournament. Injury to Gilder would be catastrophic.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Only silver lining is that he is enrolled in school and will be eligible next season per BK.
6-4-3
AG
Indeed.
sincereag
How is Caleb Smith looking so far? He may be a critical player for us this year.
Serious Lee
what does he have to do this year to become eligible, or is this ruling just a punishment for cutting corners?
AgsForTheWin
AG
Geez. This sucks
GE
AG
quote:
How is Caleb Smith looking so far? He may be a critical player for us this year.
There are a couple options between Smith, Collins, and Hampton.
wacarnolds
AG
FFFFFFUUUUU
BobOliver2006
AG
obligatory the ncaa still owes A&M for their handling of D-Ro's medical redshirt
Shepherd Boy
Most (though not on here) have been pessimistic about his chances this year...playing in open gym but not in organized workouts is a huge red flag. I'll consider us fortunate that he is on campus and taking classes.

Question - any mid term guys to go after?
czar_iv
AG
Not providing a reason for the ineligibility ruling is complete BS ... The NCAA needs to be disbanded.
czar_iv
AG
If Caldwell was my kid, I would be contacting my attorney.
txag614
quote:
Not providing a reason for the ineligibility ruling is complete BS ... The NCAA needs to be disbanded.
LonghornsNo1
quote:
I know this hurts us, but I'm a fan of the NCAA cracking down on homeschool stuff like this

In theory, I don't necessarily disagree. But this isn't that situation. JJ's problems could and would have been the same at a public or private school with the issue he has. Without divulging too much information, he did exactly what he was told to do with regard to his coursework. Unfortunately, he was given bad information. And the person who was relied on for that information is no longer with A&M.

So again, not to totally absolve a kid from responsibility, but the truth is they rely ALL the time on what they are told to do. Taking and passing classes is normally their job. So would it have been that hard to give a kid a break when they received bad information from someone in whose charge they were delegated? For the NCAA, apparently the answer to that question is a resounding yes.

In terms of them not releasing information, that is due to privacy. Which is exactly why I won't divulge anymore than that. I am sure plenty of you can read between the lines.

Just extremely disappointed of yet another situation where the NCAA has proven that the student-athlete's best interest is not their main goal. And whether it be 5 or 10 years (or whenever) from now, when their little organization ceases to exist, they can look inward for the reasons why.

/rant
aggiebones
AG
Keep close watch that he stays in school and redshirts.
Hopefully he doesn't do something like juco for a year.
He can redshirt then start for us the next year. If we are that desperate this year at PG then we've made bad decisions. Any possible grad seniors like Collins that can hold it down for a year?
Shepherd Boy
Longhorns knows...
Method Man
quote:
Only silver lining is that he is enrolled in school and will be eligible next season per BK.

That would be a great situation. I'm not sure that's how it plays out.
Method Man
quote:
If Caldwell was my kid, I would be contacting my attorney.

I believe his parents have passed. Sad situation. Feel for the young man but he's a tough kid who will persevere.
mnuge
AG
Horrible, if true, about his folks.
Dang.

As far as attorneys go, I'll bet they have been quite involved.
gig_this
quote:
NCAA: "He dum"
RG20
How long has BK been here? And we are still scrambling for a PG. By recruting effectively we should have a PG in place who would be two years in with other PG waiting their turn
phorizt
we do have a SR grad transfer PG on the team who is expected to start anyway as well as another freshman PG on the roster and Gilder who can also play PG. Caldwell would have been nice to have but I don't think people expected him to start this year. I never had the expectation that he would start.
Bunk Moreland
Another swing and a miss. Wish him the best and hope he gets eligible for next year. Shady Stansbury.
JJxvi
GE
AG
quote:
How long has BK been here? And we are still scrambling for a PG. By recruting effectively we should have a PG in place who would be two years in with other PG waiting their turn
Recruiting wasnt the issue. Robinson should be going into his junior season as the starting PG. Coaches weren't able to manage that ego.
old yeller
AG
quote:
quote:

That would be a great situation. I'm not sure that's how it plays out.
Expecting the worst, are you?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.