Aggie/PV Story

2,488 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Chomp214
Chomp214
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Posted earlier on the Premium Board by Videoman since we are playing PV this weekend:

Got a PV/Aggie Story for you Ags. Several years ago I was headed to PV for an Aggie PV basketball game with John David Crow. On the way over John David said to me "I tried to get hold of the AD to get tickets for the game but it was too late, This will be my very first Aggie Game in my life that I have had to buy tickets for". We park the car and I rush to the ticket counter to get 2 tickets (general admission was all that was available)-----I was not going to let JD buy his first tickets on my watch. We get in to a full house (what a lively crowd it was). A gentlemen dressed in a nice suit walks past us and John David says to him--why are you headed to the box seats? to which he replied---"cause I Run this Place". He sees our Aggie shirts and says he does not like the Ags because we fired RC and he was his favorite coach. I said---not this guy--he hired RC and he wanted to know who "this guy" was. I told him John David Crow. Wow how the conversation changed. He said "JOHN DAVID CROW ??". He then said, you are not sitting up here Mr. Crow. Follow me. He took us to court side, middle seats and said "this is where you need to sit, Mr. Crow". First Class and the Ags won a hard fought BB game.

bobinator
AG
That game was almost Melvin's crowning achievement.
aggiejohn
AG
As a recent grad living in Houston at the time, I made the drive up to PV for that game (and if I remember correctly, I met Nixxter to watch it together).

Their "baby dome" was rocking and we played down to the competition, in classic Melvin-style. PV had their football team seated on the stage behind the goal on one end of the court as an intimidation tactic (that probably had some affect).

IIFC, Antoine was a freshman and he and Acie were able to secure the win in (double) overtime.
txag72
AG
Here's a story with lots of implications that you can take either way you want. I know my Dad's heart, so I know how I'll take it.

My dad went to A&M for one year and then joined the Navy for WWII. He never was able to get back to A&M after the war 4 years later, life couldn't wait. He didn't have a car as a student and like so many in that time, hitchhiked to and from A&M to home about 100 miles away. One trip, a car pulls over and a young black man asks him if he wants a ride. He said sure. The conversation eventually revealed that my dad was a Fish at A&M and the driver was a student at Prairie View A&M. When they got to my dad's house, my dad thanked the driver for the ride to which he replied, "Hey man, us Aggies have to stick together."

Only if we were all Aggies.
kill0509
AG
For only having 4 posts, this is an awesome thread!! Thanks for sharing!

My granddad went to A&M for 3 semesters before going to the ship channels out in San Diego and working there during WWII. They wouldn't accept him in the armed forces due to his speech impediment for fear of if he ever had to give orders in the field, so instead he worked on and repaired the ships as that was a way he could serve his country. His favorite ship that he ever worked on was always the Mighty Mo and just like so many others, he never got to go back and finish his degree after the war was over. There's a reason they are and always will be the Greatest Generation! He is the reason my brother and I are Aggies!
94chem
72, that young man who gave your dad a ride couldn't get into A&M, and couldn't even fight in an integrated armed forces. While I despise may of the attacks on religious liberty, and our nation's socially liberal agenda, I also detest the ignorance of those who want to "make America great again."

Oh, and to keep this basketball related, my favorite piece of memorabilia is my 1987 SWC tourney program signed on the same page by Shelby Metcalf and JDC.
94chem
Dp
txag72
AG
quote:
72, that young man who gave your dad a ride couldn't get into A&M, and couldn't even fight in an integrated armed forces. While I despise may of the attacks on religious liberty, and our nation's socially liberal agenda, I also detest the ignorance of those who want to "make America great again."
All I can to this is WTF?
mikesyracuse1
I was at this game sitting in the floor seats also. I felt like these seats were closer than the bench. One of the more entertaining games of melvins era. The timeouts were as entertaining as the game and I'm sure JDC enjoyed his upgraded seats.

Mikesyracuse1
94chem
quote:
All I can to this is WTF?
Not that hard to figure out. Good story about your dad being picked up by a gracious fellow ag.
Chomp214
AG
txag72, your post reminds me of a similar situation with a PV alum giving me a ride. He also said when he stopped to pick me up on old 6 heading South---"Us Ags have to stick together". While on the subject of catching a ride out of College Station in the late 50's; there was a certain protocol that all Ags followed back then. We could go any where with a free ride if you hitch-hiked with your uniform on--no problem. We respected the first in line, (like waiting for a cab). When you went to get in line, you moved forward so that the first one there got the first stop to pick-up a ride. You never even thought about going up the road and short-stopping another Ag. Also, in 1955, the total cost of 2 semesters at A&M in the Corps was $945--this included tuition, fees, meals, dorm room, laundry and uniforms. One( pay) phone per corps dorm in first floor lobby. Oh for the good ole days, huh?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.