New Commit - 2019 PG Sahvir Wheeler

9,414 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Method Man
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Left handed shooters have the prettiest shots IMO. It looks extremely fluid.
Disagree. I'm right handed and every time I've shot while looking in a mirror it has looked HORRENDOUS.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Don't let Wheeler's lack of size fool you. He's a tenacious competitor who can really create off the dribble and is adept at getting into the lane and making plays for himself and others. That style caught the attention of the Aggies and Billy Kennedy.

"I just feel like I try to make the right play every possession," said Wheeler. "I try to get my teammates involved and I play with passion and I think that helps us win games and it is what got the attention from Coach Kennedy."

While many other prospects want to take their time and see every possible option, Wheeler and his family had a different plan. With five younger siblings, he wanted to stay closer to him and the plan was that once they found a place that checked off all the boxes they would commit rather than waste anybody's time.

"Me and my parents always thought that I would commit earlier than expected," said Wheeler. "This happened to be the perfect opportunity to me offered at the right time so I wanted to do it.
The first commitment for the Aggies from the class of 2019, Wheeler has done his homework on the SEC and he sees a league where smaller guards can find success.

"I've seen guys my size succeed in our league like Erving Walker, Devan Downey and Tyler Ulis all have success," said Wheeler.

I already mentioned Tyler Ulis 5'10" in an earlier post. I had forgotten about Devan Downey who was shorter than Ulis (he was listed at 5'9" in bio) and and who was a first Team All-SEC player at South Carolina. And Erving Walker a PG under Donovan for Florida Gators, and who is listed as their all-time leading assists record holder (547), was 5'8".

Wearamaskaggie
AG
Where's the B.E.E.F?
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

Lefties look good swinging a bat or golf club. Every other athletic movement they do looks awkward.

Why it isn't symmetrical is one of the great mysteries of the world to me.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
It does seem somewhat awkward, I just think it looks so silky and smooth, James Harden for example, so effortless.
Method Man
quote:

This kid does but not many of ours have.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I found some portions of this video an interest watch, gives you one perspective into the mindset of the Wheeler family, some Wheeler highlights plus talking about some former players he is trying to emulate, and particularly watching Wheeler as a (14 year old?) practicing by going one-on-one vs. an older and larger guy.

"Sahvir Wheeler - Chasing Ghosts"

https://vimeo.com/159419320

Having read and watched videos on this Wheeler kid, plus comments by some posters who know him and his family, he seems to have that 'Kobe-ish' ultra-competitive obsession with being the absolute best that only a few athletes seem to have. Because of his size issues and just the way life works out, who knows how he'll ultimately develop or how far he'll go, and he's three years from even possibly showing up in Aggieland. who knows if the current staff will even still be here by then. But he's an interesting kid.
bobinator
AG
This is going to be like the wait for Jamal Branch.
GE
AG
quote:
This is going to be like the wait for Jamal Branch.
Sometimes I wonder if he could have developed into a player here had he not bailed. At St. John's he never averaged more than 6 points or 2.7 assists. Apparently he's currently playing in the D league.
bobinator
AG
He could have been a really good college point guard if he was on a good team. He's one of those point guards that's going to be as good as the people you put around him because he's a pretty good passer but he can't shoot. So if he's on a bad team and nobody around him is particularly good either (or, more on the nose, they're poorly coached and don't run any discernible offensive system) then he's not very good.
greg.w.h
AG
There are many examples of folks getting a shot internationally or D that all I could do is cheer them on. Do your best Jamal and hope things work out for you. It's hard work to compete to play at the pro level. It's every day just like a job.

College players actually do have it a little simpler because they know when they have to be where and it isn't exactly survival mode all the time. It's awesome when someone crosses the line from that to real life!
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
He could have been a really good college point guard if he was on a good team. He's one of those point guards that's going to be as good as the people you put around him because he's a pretty good passer but he can't shoot. So if he's on a bad team and nobody around him is particularly good either (or, more on the nose, they're poorly coached and don't run any discernible offensive system) then he's not very good.

That's a lot of words and analysis to say he's a mediocre player who never developed after his freshman year of high school.
Method Man
Exactly.
He, like Reese, maxed out young because them were older and just better coaches than the other kids around them. Now that said, J Mike may end up being a decent mid major scorer when it's all said and done.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Exactly.
He, like Reese, maxed out young because them were older and just better coaches than the other kids around them. Now that said, J Mike may end up being a decent mid major scorer when it's all said and done.

You sticking with your Vila is Dan Alexander 2.0 prediction Method?
bobinator
AG
quote:
That's a lot of words and analysis to say he's a mediocre player who never developed after his freshman year of high school.
I disagree there. The thing that stuck out to me about Branch is that he just never really seemed to care that much. But every now and then for whatever reason, he'd turn it on. I went to the game when Grace Prep played at Yates in 2010 and Branch absolutely dominated the game. One of the better high school performances I'd seen, but the combination of Yates being Yates and the rowdy crowd probably got him more into the game than he usually was.

He was never going to be amazing, but I still think he could have been a really good college point guard with the right team and coach.
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
Exactly.
Not sure I saw that one...in what way are the two similar?
Gap
AG
Video from this past weekend. Looks like he can finish regardless of his height.

Method Man
quote:
quote:
Exactly.

If he gets high on the wacky tobaccy. That was an observation based on the initial highlights which were uninspiring.

I don't read enough of your posts to know if you've ever been wrong.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.