New DJ Hogg Highlight Video (Texas A&M Freshman Season)

2,817 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TMartin
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

agfan1030
Can't wait.....
Ag-ME
AG
If he and the other freshmen improve in the off season this year should be fun.
I wonder how much we are going to miss the seniors that graduated with this much young talent.
Isaih Smollett
I want Sloan-like freshman to sophomore improvement
bobinator
AG
quote:
I want to see (from a 3pt shooting standpoint) Sloan-like sophomore to junior improvement

If 66% of your shots are going to be three pointers, you've got to shoot a lot better than 33%.

Josh Carter's three point shooting got a lot better as a sophomore (40% to 50% on similar attempt numbers, which still is absolutely mindblowing...) so there's some precedent.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
I want to see (from a 3pt shooting standpoint) Sloan-like sophomore to junior improvement

If 66% of your shots are going to be three pointers, you've got to shoot a lot better than 33%.

Josh Carter's three point shooting got a lot better as a sophomore (40% to 50% on similar attempt numbers, which still is absolutely mindblowing...) so there's some precedent.

Hogg shot a little bit better three-pointer percentage that Middleton did his fish year. Below is the improvement that Khris made his sophomore season (when he had to move into the role of being the best (star) player on Turgeon's final team in Aggieland)

Khris Middleton
Freshman Season - Made 33/102 3PA (32.4%)
Sophomore Season - Made 39/108 3PA (36.1%)

D.J. Hogg
Freshman Season - Made 46/139 3PA (33.1%)
Sophomore Season - ??
bobinator
AG
I thought about posting Middleton's because a 4% jump is still pretty significant. The bigger thing about Middleton that I hope Hogg emulates is taking way more 2 point shots.

Like Hogg, more than half of all of Middleton's shots his freshman year were three-point attempts. Only 31% were threes the next year.
phorizt
yep Middleton had a very good midrange game which you don't seem to see a whole lot in college basketball.

Acie Law shot 22% from 3 as a freshman. 38% as a soph, then back down to 33 % as a junior, then jumped all the way to 46% as a senior.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
yep Middleton had a very good midrange game which you don't seem to see a whole lot in college basketball.

Acie Law shot 22% from 3 as a freshman. 38% as a soph, then back down to 33 % as a junior, then jumped all the way to 46% as a senior.
Feel free to discard any Melvin Watkins era data as an extreme outlier.
Post removed:
by user
bobinator
AG
He also just looked a touch out of sync this year. I remember Jay Bilas saying during a game or maybe on gameday that he was going through some back issues, and that could explain it. He looked like someone who didn't have their usual range of motion. And as you guys know even a small tweak can throw off shooting rhythm.

Dude is gonna be really good though, can't wait to see how game evolve. He's got a rare skill set.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
He also just looked a touch out of sync this year. I remember Jay Bilas saying during a game or maybe on gameday that he was going through some back issues, and that could explain it. He looked like someone who didn't have their usual range of motion. And as you guys know even a small tweak can throw off shooting rhythm.

Dude is gonna be really good though, can't wait to see how game evolve. He's got a rare skill set.
Yes, it was reported that he was fighting some back issues last season

I'll be mildly surprised if we see him in an Aggie uniform his senior year. I could see him working his way into the NBA draft by the end of his junior season (as Middleton did).
phorizt
Hogg wasn't a great 3 point shooter in HS though. He looks like he should be but didn't he shoot low 30% as a senior too? He's very streaky.

My memory may be off but I'm pretty sure his HS shooting stats were nothing extraordinary.
phorizt
Just looked it up....

Soph year- 31%
Junior- 39%
Senior- 34%
bobinator
AG
You're right, but it's hard to completely judge based on that because his high school team was so good. They obliterated almost everyone they played and I doubt he had to have much shooting discipline.

I don't think he's suddenly going to become a 45% three point shooter or anything, but if he could bump into the upper 30s it would be a huge difference.
turboboost
AG
quote:

Man he really reminds me of Scottie Pippen by the way he moves and shoots. Long stride with a smooth release!
bobinator
AG
I had never considered Scottie Pippen as a good analog for Hogg so I went and did some Youtubing of Pippen yesterday and that's pretty good!
StanGundy
Love the enthusiasm over DJ but Scottie Pippen was one of the best defensive players in the history of the NBA. Could guard any position 1-4 and was a dominant force on that end of the floor. Anyone see that kind of ceiling for Hogg as a defender?
bobinator
AG
I think he was just talking offensively. Because obviously not. Also, it's just an analog, nobody is predicting he's going to be as good as one of the best players in NBA history. Just that they have some offensive similarities.
mikesyracuse1
I think we will see more confidence and improvement in his shot this year. Hopefully he will add more driving to the basket and short jump shots. For a good shooter for his size, he threw up a huge amount of air balls and bricks. It was very strange. Also, he will need to totally commit to rebounding and defense on every possession. I think as he continues to mature, he is going to be very solid for the Aggies.

Pumpkin, I didn't think Middleton should leave early, but it worked out pretty well for him. The jury is still out on Hogg and the NBA after 1 year.

Mikesyracuse1
TMartin
Hogg is 6' 8" with long arms so I want to see him play more with his back to the basket.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.