SEC sked release?

4,664 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mhayden
Jarrin' Jay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When will SEC schedule be released? It was dropped in August last year for 2016.

Ready to pick my games and make road trip plans!
Hop
Staff
AG
It's absolutely ridiculous that the SEC does have a schedule released 2.5 months before the start of the season.
LeFraud
quote:
It's absolutely ridiculous that the SEC does have a schedule released 2.5 months before the start of the season.

Huh?
GE
AG
quote:
quote:

Huh?
Assume he meant doesn't
Jarrin' Jay
AG
To be fair SEC conference play doesn't start until January 2017 but it's getting late for sked release ...
Pumpkinhead
AG
http://www.secsports.com/article/13463128/sec-releases-2016-men-basketball-schedule

Released the 2016 schedule last year on Aug. 20th so should be any day now. Jason Cook on the radio a few days back, seemed like he had seen the schedule already. Maybe they got delayed a bit finalizing some of the TV stuff (which network is airing which game).
CDub06
AG
So far there are zero "schedule release date" references on this thread. Did I login to the wrong website?
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Huh?
Assume he meant doesn't
That is correct. I was on my phone in the car and didn't read over my post before I sent it.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
I assume we will play UK on the road this year?
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:

There's a good chance they play UK twice.
mikesyracuse1
quote:
quote:

I hope so. We only played UK once the last two years and both times at Reed.

mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead
AG
At one point it had become easy to predict what the conference schedule was going to be in terms of our home and away games (not the dates and order but you knew what the matchups were going to be) because it was just a pattern that they were following that I think was repeating every third year (don't quote me on that but I think it was every three going off memory).

But then they went to that 'permanent opponent' thing and I don't know what the new pattern is now (assuming there is one). I'm guessing we'll eventually get to the point again where we can just look N seasons back and that will be the next set of home/aways that we'll have.
mikesyracuse1
quote:
At one point it had become easy to predict what the conference schedule was going to be in terms of our home and away games (not the dates and order but you knew what the matchups were going to be) because it was just a pattern that they were following that I think was repeating every third year (don't quote me on that but I think it was every three going off memory).

But then they went to that 'permanent opponent' thing and I don't know what the new pattern is now (assuming there is one). I'm guessing we'll eventually get to the point again where we can just look N seasons back and that will be the next set of home/aways that we'll have.
DESTIN, Fla. -- The Southeastern Conference has announced a men's basketball scheduling model beginning in 2015-16 that features three permanent opponents.
Each SEC team will play the other 13 teams at least one time during league play. They will then play their three permanent opponents a second time and the remaining two games will be scheduled on a rotating basis.
The 2016 men's basketball schedule will be announced in August.
Permanent Opponents
Alabama - Auburn / Mississippi State / LSU
Arkansas - Missouri / Texas A&M / LSU
Auburn - Alabama / Ole Miss / Georgia
Florida - Kentucky / Georgia / Vanderbilt
Georgia - South Carolina / Florida / Auburn
Kentucky - Florida / Tennessee / Vanderbilt
LSU - Texas A&M / Alabama / Arkansas
Ole Miss - Mississippi State / Auburn / Missouri
Mississippi State - Ole Miss / Alabama / South Carolina
Missouri - Arkansas / Texas A&M / Ole Miss
South Carolina - Georgia / Tennessee / Mississippi State
Tennessee - Vanderbilt / Kentucky / South Carolina
Texas A&M - LSU / Arkansas / Missouri
Vanderbilt - Tennessee / Kentucky / Florida

mikesyracuse1
Scotty Flamingo
Schedule release date
bobinator
AG
quote:
Not saying it isn't ridiculous, but the Big 12 and ACC haven't announced their schedules either.

And the Pac 12 has only announced this weird thing.

The Big 10 just announced theirs on Thursday.
Hop
Staff
AG
Yes, it is all ridiculous. We are 47 days from the start of the 2016-2017 season (team practices) and nobody has a schedule. Frustrating for me because I'm trying to schedule a ski trip in February and would like to work around the hoops schedule as much as possible...but the condo we like to stay at is filling up already and I may need to pull the trigger before the schedule is released.

There's no reason you can't release a schedule in June/July timeframe.
monarch
S
PAC 12 is smart. You schedule games geographically. Could be done in the SEC if you think about it: TAMU/LSU; ARK/MIZZOU; STATE/OLE MISS; AUB/BAMA; UK/VANDY; FLA/GA; UT/USC. ARK/MIZZOU fly to CS and BR to play and then switch opponents the next day. TAMU and LSU both travel to Alabama to play AUB and 'Bama then the opponents switch locations. This is kinda what the PAC-12 is doing; example: both Los Angeles schools travel to Washington and trade off opponents in 2-3 days; later in the season, the two Wash schools go to SO-Cal; Both Bay Area schools travel to Oregon to play the two Oregon schools and vice versa later in the season. Before it was the PAC 12, the PAC ten schools did this all the time; very cost effective, very timely, very smart. Use geography to assist and help.
GE
AG
quote:
Yes, it is all ridiculous. We are 47 days from the start of the 2016-2017 season (team practices) and nobody has a schedule. Frustrating for me because I'm trying to schedule a ski trip in February and would like to work around the hoops schedule as much as possible...but the condo we like to stay at is filling up already and I may need to pull the trigger before the schedule is released.

There's no reason you can't release a schedule in June/July timeframe.
Same. Wife keeps trying to plan things during basketball season and I keep having to tell her I'll let her know in a few days. This has been going on for weeks now.
mhayden
quote:
quote:

I'd be very surprised if we play UK at home.
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd be very surprised if we play UK at home.
Why? The two teams we played twice last year other than the three permanent ones were Vanderbilt and Arkansas. We have three permanent home and home opponents. That leaves 7 teams to choose from for who we play twice. If they truly did re-base everything in '15/'16 with a long-term view then it makes sense to me that there would be a 2 in 7 chance that UK is one of those teams. 28% odds aren't that long.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Here is what the home and away schedules should look like if they keep last year's format. Mississippi State and Vandy were our rotating home/away opponents last season.

Home
Arkansas*
LSU*
Missouri*
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Tennessee
Mississippi State or Vandy
1 of Florida/Kentucky/Ole Miss/South Carolina

Away
Arkansas*
LSU*
Missouri*
Florida
Kentucky
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Mississippi State or Vandy
1 of Alabama/Auburn/Georgia/Tennessee

*Permanent Rivals
mhayden
When you break down the schedules of the last 3-4 years, there are very few instances where a team plays a home game vs a team 3 years in a row. Yes, they "re-aligned" things last year, but looking at last year's schedule compared with the two previous years it is apparent they didn't just do a hard reset.

My money is that we are @Kentucky this season with no home game.
bobinator
AG
So if you're wrong you'll donate money to a local charity? Say 20 bucks to Twin City Mission?
mhayden
No, if I'm wrong it'll just mean I was wrong.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Frustrating for me because I'm trying to schedule a ski trip in February and would like to work around the hoops schedule as much as possible...but the condo we like to stay at is filling up already and I may need to pull the trigger before the schedule is released.

Also gave me a chance to give a shout out to Gene Wilder. RIP Willy Wonka.

bobinator
AG
quote:
Well you said your money was on it... so I just thought I'd see if your money was really on it. For a good cause.
mhayden
quote:
quote:
Well you said your money was on it... so I just thought I'd see if your money was really on it. For a good cause.

If my money is on a wager, it's for a payout -- if I'm interested in donating to charity I do so with no strings attached.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

If my money is on a wager, it's for a payout -- if I'm interested in donating to charity I do so with no strings attached.

If you were pessimistic that people on this board would pay-up, then why mention a bet in the first place?
mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you were pessimistic that people on this board would pay-up, then why mention a bet in the first place?

Good grief people. It's a saying.

quote:
. It's validating the courses and transcripts from the player...and I bet that's the issue we're dealing with here.

Hop -- that's you from 2 weeks ago... Where did you make your wager? For how much?
Hop
Staff
AG
Fair enough...but there's a very good chance A&M and UK will play a home-and-home.
bobinator
AG
We should have some sort of season long board wager for charity. Like everyone who wants in pitches in 20 bucks, and the winner gets a nice certificate and the all-important board recognition of their victory, but all the money goes to a local charity.
bobinator
AG
Come on, you know better than that, you don't give them the money until after they sign. What you do is give some money to someone already on the team (prepaid cards obviously) who takes him out and shows him a good time and tells them that once they sign it's like that all the time.

Never pay up front.
GE
AG
Sounds like someone has experience with this sort of thing.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
quote:
Come on, you know better than that, you don't give them the money until after they sign. What you do is give some money to someone already on the team (prepaid cards obviously) who takes him out and shows him a good time and tells them that once they sign it's like that all the time.

Never pay up front.

Tell Cailpari that.
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
When you break down the schedules of the last 3-4 years, there are very few instances where a team plays a home game vs a team 3 years in a row. Yes, they "re-aligned" things last year, but looking at last year's schedule compared with the two previous years it is apparent they didn't just do a hard reset.

My money is that we are @Kentucky this season with no home game.
you wrong
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.