Calling it Now

5,332 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Spiritofaggieland
jml2621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Final Four 2017

Duke
Villanova
Oregon
Texas A&M

if Caldwell qualifies and starts

Caldwell
Gilder
Hogg
Trocha/Williams
Davis

is VERY dangerous. Stay healthy!

Michigan State and Kentucky just miss out.
LeFraud
I'd wager a case of beer that not one of those teams makes the final four
jml2621
quote:
I'd wager a case of beer that not one of those teams makes the final four

Drink up now...because one of those teams might be undefeated going into the FF.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Two summers ago, instead of this thread, it would have been a thread arguing about whether the Kennedy era was as bad as the Melvin Watkins era.

I'll call it now that I think we won't be as good as last season but will still be an NCAA tourney team (with the usual 'if no major injuries' qualifier). Regardless of Caldwell or Corprew being immediately eligible. I think our frontline rotation of Davis/Trocha/Miller/Williams will be better than most of our opponents, I think Hogg is a future NBA first round draft pick (and I'll be mildly surprised if he plays 4 years at A&M...I will take a guess that he goes at the same time Middleton did and declares after his junior season), and Gilder is a stud.
Shepherd Boy
Solid upperclassmen talent and experience....
First round location? Dallas
Final Four? Pretty sure it's in San Antonio

Can't even think about it
LeFraud
Closest first weekend would be Tulsa
Closest regional would be Memphis or KC
Final Four is in Phoenix
Method Man
We may not make the tourney. This season probably isn't going to live up to last season.
Shepherd Boy
My bad, guys...I was thinking 2018.

In 2018 we should have Tyler, DJ and admon as juniors
Ronny a senior and Jj, Williams, Vila, and hopefully corprew.

That's pretty stout with Dallas the first round and final four in San Antonio.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
We may not make the tourney. This season probably isn't going to live up to last season.

Absolutely no reason we shouldn't make the tournament
Method Man
quote:
quote:

Absolutely no reason we shouldn't make the tournament

I can think of a few but i will keep them to myself and hope we do it. Absolutely, less than 1% chance we make the final four this season. Preposterous.
Method Man
quote:
My bad, guys...I was thinking 2018.

In 2018 we should have Tyler, DJ and admon as juniors
Ronny a senior and Jj, Williams, Vila, and hopefully corprew.

That's pretty stout with Dallas the first round and final four in San Antonio.

Yeah that's more like it.
GE
AG
We will make the tournament easily and another sweet 16 will not be surprising.
gphid97
AG
Lots of unanswered questions with this team. Hoping for the best, but I anticipate that there will be a lot of overly optimistic Aggie hoops fans who will learn the value of having four senior starters.
mdanyc03
AG
We have a much better chance than say, Syracuse did last year.

I mean it is silly to predict a final four but just about every decent program has better than a 1 pct chance of making the final four.
Method Man
We don't. Syracuse has a hall of fame coach. That helps.
mdanyc03
AG
Syracuse didn't make the final four because they had a final four coach. They made the final four because because they played a bunch of double digit seeds and then uva melted down. That happens sometimes which is why all of the top 50 teams have over a 1 pct chance to make the final four.

If your argument were that we have less than a 1 pct chance to be a top four team in the ken Pom ratings I would accept your argument. But to say we have less than a 1 pct chance to make the final four is a bad argument. There are 60- 80 teams that have >1 % chance to make the final four
Hop
Staff
AG
I think a lot depends on who they sign at the post positions in the 2017 class. I have a feeling that Trocha will go pro because of his age and I think he'll have a good season in 2016-2017, so Williams and Davis are the only two big men projected on the 2017-2018 roster.

If they sign a couple of good posts in 2017, then the ceiling is high in 2017-2018.
old yeller
AG
quote:
always expect the worst
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
I think a lot depends on who they sign at the post positions in the 2017 class. I have a feeling that Trocha will go pro because of his age and I think he'll have a good season in 2016-2017, so Williams and Davis are the only two big men projected on the 2017-2018 roster.

If they sign a couple of good posts in 2017, then the ceiling is high in 2017-2018.
Yeah, there is no guarantee a guy like Trocha is sticking around through 2017-2018. He fell off the radar because of that 2-year-ish journey trying to get eligible where he wasn't playing any organized basketball, and then had to shake off the rust and build up physically during his first year in the program, but last year you could see the beginnings of a really good player emerging and now he's has the body (he has apparently put on about 30-35 pounds working with Darby since showing up at 195 lb after finally getting eligible), and will get a starter's role and more minutes. 6'10" mobile big man with a good wing-span and a solid looking three-point stroke will get a close look by NBA teams.
bobinator
AG
We should be a tournament team next year. And in college hoops these days two years away is a lifetime away.
CEAg78
AG
quote:
Under promise, over deliver.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
We should be a tournament team next year.
Seems reasonable to me to expect so. Media analysts types like Luke Winn of SI are putting us in their off-season Top-25 rankings.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/power-rankings-duke-kansas-villanova-oregon-kentucky

We lost 4 seniors which is a big challenge to overcome, but the overall talent level is also still high. 3 years ago we were forced to play a 6'6" walk-on Jarod Jahns nearly 15 minutes per game as one of our front court players. Jahns! 15 mpg! A big reason for that was our front court roster was littered with guys like Andrew Young and Keith Davis (who got kicked off the team). The difference in overall front line talent that we have now vs. Kennedy's first three years is pretty significant.

That is why, barring injuries, my guess is that we will slip some because of the loss of the seniors (and 'slipping' is not much of a stretch prediction given that last year was only like one of the best 2 seasons in A&M history), but still seems pretty reasonable to feel like we should be an NCAA tourney team.

bobinator
AG
Yeah, and one thing you and I have talked about before that sometimes people seem to forget is that you don't really have to be all that good to make the tournament.
GrayMatter
AG
quote:
You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that he doesn't trust the new staff versus the one from last year. I have that same hesitation as well because we won't really know their effectiveness with this year's roster. They seem more united I'll give them that, but that doesn't always translate to wins.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable in making the tournament claim if we knew all of our incoming players have qualified and are in school working with Darby waiting for the season to start.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that he doesn't trust the new staff versus the one from last year. I have that same hesitation as well because we won't really know their effectiveness with this year's roster. They seem more united I'll give them that, but that doesn't always translate to wins.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable in making the tournament claim if we knew all of our incoming players have qualified and are in school working with Darby waiting for the season to start.
Yeah, we'll see. Last off-season, I think poster predictions ranged from 17 wins (no post-season, our coaching staff is terrible!) to 30 wins (Natty!)...average guess was probably around 22 wins and loss in first weekend of NCAA. Seems to always be a big variance in opinions.
Serious Lee
first time in 5 years that i have been more excited about hoops than pigskin. Since neither team delivered in 2011, im not sure how i should feel.
Method Man
quote:
quote:
always expect the worst

The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:
always expect the worst

Expectation management 105.
old yeller
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
always expect the worst

Expectation management 105.
I bet we don't even make the SEC tourney. going to be a disappointing season.
Yell Practice
Big Guess NOW.
Method Man
Not making the tourney FAR more likely than making the final four.
old yeller
AG
quote:
Method Man
Lol
GE
AG
quote:
Both are so unlikely that the difference between them, although maybe a factor of 10 or more, doesn't really mean that much.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
Duke
Kentucky
Texas A&M
Virginia Tech
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.