Malik Newman

11,735 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Malik Newman will withdraw from NBA Draft, but source told ESPN he may explore other opportunities besides returning to Miss State.

Potentially transferring.
wacarnolds
AG
Can I be the first to throw out Western Kentucky as a possible transfer destination? Stansbury and his dad have connections
Method Man
Goodman intimated he may go JUCO because he doesn't want to sit.
GE
AG
Seems odd to transfer if he was considering going to the draft after his freshman season. That's a two year deferral at minimum if he plans to play in college again.
GE
AG
quote:
That does make sense
agfan1030
eff Goodman @GoodmanESPN 3m3 minutes ago

Malik Newman's father, Horatio Webster, declined to comment to ESPN but multiple sources said Newman strongly considering transferring.

wacarnolds
AG
quote:

From Adam Zagoria

"Just to put any Malik Newman to JUCO rumors to rest, he would have to go Cali JC w/ no scholarships since the NJCAA rules him ineligible since he declared for the Draft. Moustapha Diagne had the same thing happen to him at NW Florida State after declaring for Draft."

Seems like a huge mess. Guy needs to go overseas and try to get in the draft next year.
mallen
AG
What's the rest of the story here?
mcag83
AG
Hello Newman
wacarnolds
AG
quote:

Presumably got a bad grade from the draft committee and doesn't have the grades to go back to MSU
mikesyracuse1
quote:
Malik Newman will withdraw from NBA Draft, but source told ESPN he may explore other opportunities besides returning to Miss State.

Potentially transferring.
This has been brewing for almost a month. The transfer he's been considering is Kansas, although I can't imagine he would decide to sit a year.

mikesyracuse1
RoseRichAg01
Weird.
Pumpkinhead
AG
hope he returns. Would be good for SEC basketball as seems like Miss State has a chance to be one of the better teams.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
quote:

Presumably got a bad grade from the draft committee and doesn't have the grades to go back to MSU
Don't know about academics, but I bet you're right about the draft committee and he blames Howland for not better preparing him.
The Collective
AG
Seems like a dude that is doing a good job screwing up his future.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Like Ben Simmons, the bigtime basketball schools like Kentucky, Kansas, etc. will probably use Newman as another example of why 5-stars with 'one and done' NBA intentions shouldn't go to a regular joe 'football' school like an MSU or LSU or A&M, who just won't understand them or know how to really bring the best out of them.

I remember D'Aaron Fox echoing that talking point in an interview once his stock blew up. He said that he was only going to consider a 'one and done' school, because they had the expertise and infrastructure to position and prepare him for the 2017 NBA draft.
mgmgrand
AG
I think more-so than the school itself, it's the benefit of a COACH who has experience with one and dones
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
Like Ben Simmons, the bigtime basketball schools like Kentucky, Kansas, etc. will probably use Newman as another example of why 5-stars with 'one and done' NBA intentions shouldn't go to a regular joe 'football' school like an MSU or LSU or A&M, who just won't understand them or know how to really bring the best out of them.

I remember D'Aaron Fox echoing that talking point in an interview once his stock blew up. He said that he was only going to consider a 'one and done' school, because they had the expertise and infrastructure to position and prepare him for the 2017 NBA draft.
Cool, let them do that.

Remind me how many "one and done" schools were in the final four this past year?
mdanyc03
AG
I always say this but I don't care about getting one and dones. It works for Kentucky and Duke. And maybe Arizona. But for everybody else, it is a poisoned chalice. Most of them are not that productive/ efficient as true freshmen and then you have to replace them. If they meet expectations, you will probably get 11 and 7 or something for one year and then they are gone. And when they are major disappointments, like Malik Newman, then they can't adjust to being student athletes for multiple years and they leave anyway even if they are not ready. Like Marcus Lee or the Harrison twins.
mikesyracuse1
quote:
quote:

Cool, let them do that.

Remind me how many "one and done" schools were in the final four this past year?
Malaki Richardson is one and done because of the elite 8 and final four this past year.

Mikesyracuse1
mdanyc03
AG
Sure, and I think Syracuse is a great example that supports my point.

Boeheim is very vocally NOT a one and done coach even though he has had several one and done players. Malaki Richardson was not recruited as a one and done player. He was not told "come here for one year and then to the NBA lottery." That isn't to say that Syracuse will never have a one and done player, but it is an example of a program that continues to be successful without buying into the one and done culture.
greg.w.h
AG
There are really a maximum of about 32 one and done players in a year. I.e. the first round picks are the only ones likely to go directly onto the NBA-level roster and it's more likely for the lottery teams than for the playoff teams that a new player immediately contributes. So I guess you could argue there are roughly 15 players per year that will achieve their dreams by going to the draft after their first year of college. And the true one and dones are special players that likely are NOT helped by staying in the college level game (in spite of what King Charles says.)

What is interesting is that both Mark Cuban and King Charles have a great point, too: more professionalism and more basketball experience makes for a better product at the NBA level just as it does in the NFL. But one player out of five on the court can be vastly more impactful than one out of 11 on the gridiron. So it's unlikely that the NBA will fully reject the one and dones until the NBAPA agrees to do so in a new, future CBA.
mikesyracuse1
quote:

Boeheim is very vocally NOT a one and done coach even though he has had several one and done players. Malaki Richardson was not recruited as a one and done player. He was not told "come here for one year and then to the NBA lottery." That isn't to say that Syracuse will never have a one and done player, but it is an example of a program that continues to be successful without buying into the one and done culture.
Syracuse isn't usually a one-and-done school, just 4 since 2003. However, this is now two years in a row with a one and done player and they possibly had the best one and done player to play college ball in Carmelo Anthony.

mikesyracuse1
mdanyc03
AG
And Boeheim has been very vocal in the case of malaki Richardson to state that he isn't ready for the nba and that he is being overhyped by the media. This is the opposite of the strategy of calipari
mikesyracuse1
quote:
And Boeheim has been very vocal in the case of malaki Richardson to state that he isn't ready for the nba and that he is being overhyped by the media. This is the opposite of the strategy of calipari
Per the Syracuse Post-Standard, Boeheim's comments came amid praise for Richardson as a person and his freshman season generally. The bulk of Boeheim's criticism was aimed at "the media's" ostensibly outsized, possibly influential and occasionally incorrect projections.

Boeheim reiterated his belief that no freshman is truly ready for the NBA. He said players projected to be drafted late in the first round should return to school if they might go higher the following year, so as to avoid playing for winning teams on which playing time is less plentiful.

"Of course, whenever I say these things, people say I'm too tough, too abrasive," Boeheim said. "It's like, media people can have their opinions, and it's OK. But when a coach has his opinions, it's not good. He shouldn't do that. I've never followed that procedure exactly."

mikesyracuse1
DallasAggie87
AG
quote:
quote:

Syracuse isn't usually a one-and-done school, just 4 since 2003. However, this is now two years in a row with a one and done player and they possibly had the best one and done player to play college ball in Carmelo Anthony.

mikesyracuse1
Hmmm....Anthony Davis and Kentucky?
mdanyc03
AG
Yeah, I will go with Carmelo.
DallasAggie87
AG
Kevin Durant and Texas?
mikesyracuse1
quote:
quote:
quote:

mikesyracuse1
http://collegespun.com/national/the-10-best-one-and-done-college-basketball-players-of-the-21st-century

1. Carmelo Anthony, Syracuse, 2002-03
College stats: 22.2 points, 10 rebounds, 2.2 assists

The Baltimore, Md. native could have gone straight from high school to the NBA. The league's rule that requires players to be a year removed from high school before entering the draft didn't take effect until 2005. But Anthony opted to attend college anyway, and his year at Syracuse was one of the most successful college seasons in history.
Anthony led the Orange to their first national championship, beating Kansas in the NCAA Tournament's championship game. Anthony was the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. Why is he ahead of Davis, who accomplished all of that, too? Anthony was working with a lot less talent than the Kentucky big man. The 2012 Kentucky squad had five players selected in the 2012 NBA Draft. Only one other player from that Syracuse team was picked: Hakeem Warrick in the 2005 Draft.

2. Anthony Davis, Kentucky, 2011-12
College stats: 14.2 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.7 blocks
While Wall was Calipari's first big one-and-done recruit at Kentucky, and the current Washington Wizard is probably the coach's most famous prodigy, it was Davis who was most successful in his only year in school. No big man in college basketball history had a more dominant season than Davis did in 2011-12. He won nearly every National Player of the Year award and set an SEC record for blocks in a season by a freshman, surpassing Shaquille O'Neal's mark set at Louisiana State.
He helped lead Kentucky to a national championship, and set an NCAA Tournament record for blocks in a title game in the bout against Kansas.

3. Kevin Durant, Texas, 2006-07
College stats: 25.8 points, 11.1 rebounds
He didn't win a national championship and his team won just one game in the NCAA Tournament. But one could make a good argument for Kevin Durant to be No. 1 on this list. If his team had been more successful in the postseason, he'd certainly be at the top of this ranking. Perhaps no player in the modern era of college basketball has had a better season than Durant did in 2006-07.
He swept the National Player of the Year awards and remains the only freshman to do so. Durant was the only player that season to finish in the top ten in the country in scoring and rebounding. His Longhorns fell to Southern California in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

mikesyracuse1
DallasAggie87
AG
That list is ass, my dude. Durant, Melo, Davis IMO. Just based on basketball talent and not college team results.
DallasAggie87
AG
Best none and done? Kobe Bryant, Lebron, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett (not including euros)
mikesyracuse1
quote:
That list is ass, my dude. Durant, Melo, Davis IMO. Just based on basketball talent and not college team results.
Here's another one from this year. 3 of my favorite college players.

http://www.trendingtoplists.com/top-10-best-one-and-done-college-basketball-players-of-all-time/10

mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead
AG
Both Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony were pretty close IMO in terms of being freakishly great offensive talents in college as freshman.

Durant played for Barnes and Anthony played for Boeheim...that might largely explain why Carmelo had a better NCAA tournament.
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

mikesyracuse1
http://collegespun.com/national/the-10-best-one-and-done-college-basketball-players-of-the-21st-century

1. Carmelo Anthony, Syracuse, 2002-03
College stats: 22.2 points, 10 rebounds, 2.2 assists

The Baltimore, Md. native could have gone straight from high school to the NBA. The league's rule that requires players to be a year removed from high school before entering the draft didn't take effect until 2005. But Anthony opted to attend college anyway, and his year at Syracuse was one of the most successful college seasons in history.
Anthony led the Orange to their first national championship, beating Kansas in the NCAA Tournament's championship game. Anthony was the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. Why is he ahead of Davis, who accomplished all of that, too? Anthony was working with a lot less talent than the Kentucky big man. The 2012 Kentucky squad had five players selected in the 2012 NBA Draft. Only one other player from that Syracuse team was picked: Hakeem Warrick in the 2005 Draft.

2. Anthony Davis, Kentucky, 2011-12
College stats: 14.2 points, 10.4 rebounds, 4.7 blocks
While Wall was Calipari's first big one-and-done recruit at Kentucky, and the current Washington Wizard is probably the coach's most famous prodigy, it was Davis who was most successful in his only year in school. No big man in college basketball history had a more dominant season than Davis did in 2011-12. He won nearly every National Player of the Year award and set an SEC record for blocks in a season by a freshman, surpassing Shaquille O'Neal's mark set at Louisiana State.
He helped lead Kentucky to a national championship, and set an NCAA Tournament record for blocks in a title game in the bout against Kansas.

3. Kevin Durant, Texas, 2006-07
College stats: 25.8 points, 11.1 rebounds
He didn't win a national championship and his team won just one game in the NCAA Tournament. But one could make a good argument for Kevin Durant to be No. 1 on this list. If his team had been more successful in the postseason, he'd certainly be at the top of this ranking. Perhaps no player in the modern era of college basketball has had a better season than Durant did in 2006-07.
He swept the National Player of the Year awards and remains the only freshman to do so. Durant was the only player that season to finish in the top ten in the country in scoring and rebounding. His Longhorns fell to Southern California in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

mikesyracuse1

Oh, how I wish we could talk about DeAndre Jordan's magical one and done year. Sad face. With tears.
Pumpkinhead
AG
It's official. Malik Newman is transferring per Jon Rothstein.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.