SIAP Peyton Allen headed to Wichita State

23,797 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GE
TMartin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Allen was a great kid but at 6' 5" didn't drive to the bucket, rebound and especially didn't defend quick guards. He'll need to shoot a very high percentage from the field to be effective.
hoya-ag
AG
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25265240/wichita-states-latest-commitment-comes-with-minor-ncaa-violation-attached

quote:
Wichita State found itself the beneficiary of a late-arriving transfer commitment this summer. But it's come at a slight cost to the program. Former Texas A&M forward Peyton Allen, who didn't leave the Aggies' program until the unusual delayed date of July 14, committed to Wichita State on Aug. 1.

That commitment came the day after Allen and his parents met in Wichita with the Shockers' coaching staff -- and that meeting brought about a Level 3 violation, sources told CBSSports.com on Monday.

The violation, which Wichita State has already reported to the Missouri Valley and the NCAA, is a minor one. It was self-reported after Wichita State took Allen and his parents out to dinner the night of July 31, which is technically the last day of college basketball's dead period for official recruiting visits. Allen was on an official visit, and while programs can technically pay for the flights and hotel stay of a prospect and their family the day before the live period kicks in, no on-campus visits or meals can be bought on behalf of the program.

Wichita State did both of those things.

That triggered its self-report and self-sanctions, which include a reduction of two recruiting days and a loss of an on-campus visit from any other prospects for the upcoming year, meaning Wichita State now has 11 official visits remaining (down from 12). The NCAA has verbally agreed with the self-imposed sanctions it, and a source said no further punishment toward the school is anticipated.

Allen, who will sit the upcoming season as a redshirt transfer, is seen as a successor to Wichita State rising senior shooting guard Ron Baker. Allen was recruited out of high school by Wichita State in addition to A&M, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. In recent weeks, following his jettison from A&M, Northwestern, Illinois State and Butler were some of the schools also pursuing Allen.

Allen played in 32 games last season and averaged 4.5 points in 14.1 minutes.
wacarnolds
AG
Cheaters!!
greg.w.h
AG
My wife just told me about the self-reporting and self-sanction. The late transfer to a very specific location suggested there was a story behind the move that wasn't fully disclosed a the time.

I suspected Peyton already knew before he announced his transfer that he could land at Wichita State and get a fair hearing from the school. Otherwise why take the risk?

That leads to the question of how appropriate it is to lock students into contracts when those contracts do not last all four years. I'm rather much a fan of "free agency" at the end of each year when there isn't a guaranteed extension. The p5 conferences have talked about providing multi-year commitments for scholarship players after all.

I still wish Peyton well. I suspect this was a difficult decision for him to make and I also suspect he feels he is doing what gives him a chance to fully enjoy the rest of his college eligibility. Perhaps he can even take the next step to international professional basketball of some sort.
Ben Diamond
The whole thing was silly. WSU could fly them in, but couldn't meet with them or buy them dinner.

If coaches can leave anytime they want. If coaches can pitch a kid off anytime. Yea kids should be able to leave anytime without sitting out.
Tango Mike
quote:
The whole thing was silly. WSU could fly them in, but couldn't meet with them or buy them dinner.

If coaches can leave anytime they want. If coaches can pitch a kid off anytime. Yea kids should be able to leave anytime without sitting out.

I couldn't believe how stupid that rule is. They can buy his plane ticket, but can't pick him up at the airport or buy him dinner? Only the NCAA.

I'm not sure I agree with a full free agency idea, but the current setup screams hypocrisy. Maybe coaches should have to sit out a year if they transfer
Ben Diamond
Reamber the NCAA is all about the kids.
LawHall88
AG
Well, I hope all is OK with Peyton. Marshall is quoted in the press release as saying his departure is not "basketball related."
quote:
Sophomore guard Peyton Allen withdrew from Wichita State for personal reasons, basketball coach Gregg Marshall announced on Wednesday.

"We're sad to see him go, but after talking things over with Peyton and his parents, we all agreed that the best course of action was for Peyton to put basketball and school on hold while he sorts some things out," Marshall said in a news release.
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article103142647.html
mallen
AG
Seemed like a good, mature kid from his time here. Hope he bounces back from whatever struggles he's facing.
Raven
S
This is very sad...hope it all works out for Peyton.
greg.w.h
AG
He walked on at WSU because their scholarships were all filled. Hope the situation is "normal stuff" and not a difficult personal or family situation or at least they're getting the support they need to work through it.
GE
AG
Too bad it didn't work out for him there. Hope everything is alright. Would have loved to have had him this season as a junior here.

That all being said, this thread is a blast from the past.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.