SIAP Peyton Allen headed to Wichita State

23,789 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GE
Hickory High
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
didnt see this posted anywhere
@RyanEasterling: Just was told former Texas A&M guard Peyton Allen is headed to Wichita State

This goes against what everyone has been saying. Allen "saw the writing on the wall", "knew he was going to have a much smaller role", "knew the talent was passing him up".....so he transfers to Witchita State? How are players not good enough for us but good enough for the school that makes the tourney consistently?
Method Man
Good for Peyton if that's true.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
didnt see this posted anywhere
@RyanEasterling: Just was told former Texas A&M guard Peyton Allen is headed to Wichita State

This goes against what everyone has been saying. Allen "saw the writing on the wall", "knew he was going to have a much smaller role", "knew the talent was passing him up".....so he transfers to Witchita State? How are players not good enough for us but good enough for the school that makes the tourney consistently?
Nice landing spot for Peyton! Congrats!

Hickory, I don't recall anyone ever saying that Allen wasn't 'good enough' to play at A&M. All that was said was with House, Caruso, DJ Hogg, and Admon Gilder...that he was probably going to have a really hard time getting many minutes next season at the 2 or 3 positions on the court.

My understanding is that when the official news came out about Allen, it apparently surprised everyone including the coaching staff. By all accounts the coaching staff LOVED Allen. They tried to talk him out of transferring but his mind was already made up. Said that the whole thing happened pretty fast over a 3-4 day time span. Logan at the time expressed the opinion that probably Peyton already had a small choice of landing spots already figured out.

Wichita State has a great coach and a great basket program right now. Looks like they have a bunch of senior guards this season graduating (Van Fleet, Ron Baker, Wessel, etc.), so perhaps Peyton will be able to battle for significant playing time at Wichita State in 2016-2017.

But great deal for Peyton. He seems like a wonderful young man and count me as one fan who definitely wished he was still on our roster. Was one of the more interesting players to follow on twitter. Best of luck to him!

Hickory High
AG
I saw plenty of posters saying he wasn't good enough. Maybe you aren't, but there were.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
I saw plenty of posters saying he wasn't good enough. Maybe you aren't, but there were.
You watched him last year. Did you think he was good enough to play much here?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Good enough to do what next season? To start? To get 20 minutes per game? I definitely saw lots of opinions that his lateral movement was a bit slow on defense and as the season progressed into conference play he seemed to have a harder time getting separation for shots. And that he shot a lower percentage than was hoped. Those seemed like fair criticisms to me. Criticisms about our offensive schemes maybe not helping a guy like Allen enough (who perhaps needed more help) also seemed fair.

But I also saw the opinions of lots of people who felt that he definitely could contribute as a role player off the bench and seemed like he had a great attitude and was a great person to have around. And by all reports, this coaching staff loved him, was surprised by his decision, and tried to talk him out of it.

Hickory...just look at the log-jam for the 2015-2016 season at the 2 and 3 spots where Allen could possible play: Danuel House, Alex Caruso probably moving off the ball more to the 2, and new guys DJ Hogg, and Admon Gilder now on the roster. It was pretty clear that given some of Allen's limitations...he certainly was going to have a hard time fighting for minutes next year. That seems like a fair viewpoint. He was going to burn his sophomore season getting maybe 5-10 minutes per game at A&M, and looks like he wanted to explore other options instead.
agfan1030
Just circumstances...
Good for Peyton to land a good program.
Wish him the best.
Hickory High
AG
I did feel like he could be good enough. Now what I see is a guy that Gregg Marshall thought was good enough to use a scholarship on.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
I did feel like he could be good enough. Now what I see is a guy that Gregg Marshall thought was good enough to use a scholarship on.
So did A&M's coaching staff. From everything I've read and heard, Allen was NOT a player whom the staff was in any way encouraging to leave.

And Allen had offers from schools such as Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Butler to name a few when we signed him. Not sure about Wichita State at the time. It wasn't like he was some scrub when we recruited him.

txag72
AG
Seems an objective person would look at this and say "Wow, our program has gotten to the point that we are losing role players to top programs." Not all that much objectivity here some times.
Pumpkinhead
AG
One other interesting note to that after a quick check. Apparently, Wichita State may now be one over the scholarship limit for 2015-2016 if they are adding Allen as a transfer. So looks like Gregg Marshall is expecting attrition (maybe one of the 2015 fish that he signed is instead going to prep school or something).
GoodAg Paulie
AG
His main liability was quickness on defense. He had a hard time staying in front of guys.

But in no way was this program/coaching staff looking to see him move on. He had a role with the team moving forward, but it might have been with limited minutes.
mallen
AG
Congrats to Peyton!
GE
AG
quote:
This is just being negative for the sake of being negative. Allen was going to play 5 minutes per game maximum this season and might have developed into a role player next year.
jml2621
quote:
Seems an objective person would look at this and say "Wow, our program has gotten to the point that we are losing role players to top programs." Not all that much objectivity here some times.

or Wichita State can really coach up players.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:

or Wichita State can really coach up players.

Count me as one poster who hopes he does really well there. I really liked his positive attitude and enthusiasm (he was often a fun guy to watch cheering his teammates on from the bench) and became a Peyton Allen fan.
StanGundy
Good for him. Paying his own way for one season unless something unexpected opens up. No skin off Marshall. Has a year to prove to Marshall he is worthy of a ship.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Good for him. Paying his own way for one season unless something unexpected opens up. No skin off Marshall. Has a year to prove to Marshall he is worthy of a ship.

Is that what he is doing Stan? paying his own way while he sits out? As I posted earlier in this thread, I noticed that Wichita had no room to give him a scholarship this season.
Tango Mike
quote:

Peyton Allen wasn't very good last year, his transfer says nothing
wacarnolds
AG
quote:

Don't rob 72 of this moral victory
Method Man
He should thrive playing in a real offense.
Pumpkinhead
AG
He gave up some financial benefits by giving up a scholarship at A&M to be a walk-on at Wichita State, and he gave up a free trip to Italy/Greece too! but hopefully he does well and finds what he is looking for. don't know if he will find it any easier to crack the rotation at WSU than he would have here, but He seems like the type of kid that I could certainly see Marshall eventually giving him a scholarship.
Isaih Smollett
Should be a good player with some coaching. We shall see.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
quote:
He should thrive playing in a real offense.

Not if he still can't play defense
Method Man
Don't try to hard, GAP. He can shoot and that offense will be good for him. His defense wasn't great. He wasn't any worse than any other freshman we've had lately. I don't remember him losing a game like Shawn Smith.
Positive Yardage
AG
Here's the local article on it. I'm sure there will be more info forthcoming. That would put him and KU transfer Connor Francamp on board next year here after losing VanVleet and Baker. (Francamp is eligible in December of this season).

Wichita Eagle
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
I don't remember him losing a game like Shawn Smith.

Do wish he had made that shot vs Bama though! So close to an NCAA bid....
jml2621
quote:
quote:

Is that what he is doing Stan? paying his own way while he sits out? As I posted earlier in this thread, I noticed that Wichita had no room to give him a scholarship this season.

Interesting. Peyton seemed like a good kid. I hope he finds what he is looking for at WSU.
AggieTFA06
AG
happy that Peyton got an upgrade
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
txag72
AG
quote:
quote:
Quote:Seems an objective person would look at this and say "Wow, our program has gotten to the point that we are losing role players to top programs." Not all that much objectivity here some times.

No, but being picked up by Wichita St. does.
Hickory High
AG
Shawn Smith....woof
Method Man
quote:
quote:

BK has given the ball to Reese, Tavario and Allen to win games. He set up a play for Kourtney to take a 12 foot jump shot when he never shoots them.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

BK has given the ball to Reese, Tavario and Allen to win games. He set up a play for Kourtney to take a 12 foot jump shot when he never shoots them.

I don't recall the play being for Kourtney to take a 12 foot jump shot, Method. I think they were trying to get something going to the rim. I remember it being explained in presser but too lazy to look.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Quote:Seems an objective person would look at this and say "Wow, our program has gotten to the point that we are losing role players to top programs." Not all that much objectivity here some times.

No, but being picked up by Wichita St. does.

Peyton Allen transferred there as a preferred walk-on and is paying his own way next year. this looks like a pretty low risk move by Gregg Marshall. He gets a close look at Allen and a nice addition on his practice squad for next season without any immediate pressure to create a scholarship space.
Titanfan22
I know Peyton had a lot of quality programs calling. This late in the game you are not going to find a program the caliber of WSU with scholarships open. There is no question, after he sits one year, he has a commitment that he will be on scholarship thereafter. WSU will be a great fit for him.

While the Aggies are looking better on paper, until BK proves he can coach and bring these kids together, this is a step up, not down....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.