Aggies 2015 Recruiting Class Ranked #6 Nationally

14,650 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Cornerback31
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last season the efficiency numbers seem to say that we were a pretty good defensive team but one that struggled mightily to score (www.kenpom.com). We also played in 12 games that were within 1 point in the last 3 minutes of the game, and went 3-9 in those contents.

During this off-season, we lost our leading scorer (Jamal Jones) and backup PG Harris. We added Jalen Jones (who until appeals are played out we must assume will not be eligible until mid December), hopefully a healthy Davonte Fitzgerald, Alex Robinson, Tonny Trocha, and Peyton Allen. Of course assumption is House sits all year.

We also now have Stansbury and Rahim as assistant coaches instead of Cyprien and Reese.

Other news is that Alex Caruso has really physically developed over the summer, grew a little bit to about 6'6" and I saw a recent photo of him on twitter with Peyton Allen who is listed at 6'5" and Caruso looked not only definitely taller than Peyton but also pretty ripped. Been doing some good work with Darby I guess. I also had a chance to speak for a few seconds with his dad while on a lark in College Station over the summer, and Mike Caruso told me that part of Alex's summer practice agenda was making 50,000 shots. He was spending a bunch of time working on his shooting.

I feel pretty good about Alex Caruso's off-season work and physical maturity, in terms of him perhaps being able to go into 'beast mode' quite a few times next season. It seems like a reasonable expectation that we'll be at least a solid, maybe very good, defensive team next season, particularly if Tonny Trocha adds a bit more defensive rim protection presence and based on all reports that Jalen Jones is much more inclined to put in a lot of defensive effort than Jamal Jones was. I don't see any reason why we'd drop off much defensively from last year, and really seems a decent bet that we'll be even better at that end and particular with regard to rebounding (Jalen Jones and Trocha should be improvements there).

To me, the key questions are: How are we going to get better on offense and score points? And are we going to be better at closing out close games at the end?

Ben Diamond
Look I firmly believe Kennedy will be coaching for at least another four years. And as long as Kennedy is here I much prefere talent like Davis and Hogg being here. Even Robinson is a really exciting addition.

Davis offers a true low post player that hasn't been here since Joe Jones. Hogg is a really big 2/3 that could play the 4 for a stretch if the Aggies go small. Hogg needs to toughen up and finish better in the paint. But make no mistake Hogg is an elite shooter.

Robinson is going to be a good one. Robinson besides good playing ability has something special between the ears. That said it's going to be a big learning year one for him. Most point guards struggle year one and this team simply doesn't have the inviorment to bring in a freshmen point guard and not have him struggle. Not enough around him yet.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:
Saying anything sucks is not a discussion. It's a lazy way to express your opinion without providing anything of relevance for discussion.
I've asked plenty of times for BK supporters to provide me with some solid evidence that BK is a good coach and will get it done here. I get nothing. I supply the facts about BK's career and his record here.

I say BK sucks plenty of times but just as often, I support my argument with his career record and his record here. In the end, that is how a coach is judged. Not by how nice a guy they are or whatever bad circumstances they have to deal with.

I know some of y'all think I'm a Kennedy apologist. I disagree with that because I really don;t have a strong opinion one way or the other at this point. I do think he inherited a tougher situation than most think, but the situation wasn't as bad as some pro-Kennedy suggest. As with anything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Here's just my brief thoughts on pros and cons of Kennedy as the head coach at A&M:

Cons:

1. Regardless of circumstances, he hasn't produced on the court.
2. Questionable evals in the first recruiting class...i.e. Young
3. Lacks bench presence and does not work refs enough
4. Inconsistent team effort and performances
5. Unable to address lack of outside shooters and overall guard play in his first three seasons

Pros:

1. Has progressively improved recruiting each class
2. Improved overall talent and depth of roster starting in 2014
3. Creative in brokering a deal w/ UH to get House
4. Solid defensive tactician...he seems to have a game plan for each game to take away the opponent's first option on offense. I know that sounds easy, but more than half of the SEC coaches don't do this.
5. With a short leash, he was able to improve his bench staff and hired a proven D-1 head coach as an assistant.

Hop
Ben Diamond
Hop the problem I have historical prospective in regards to Kennedy. Along with the fact he wasn't qualified to coach at this level he has had the talent not to ever lose to scrubs like Rice, Sourhern, UNT, Missouri State and Illinois State. I personally haven't been disappointed because he isn't winning league titles. I'm disappointed in losing to awful schools and sloppy poor play season after season. In three seasons Kennedy still hasn't taught the team how to screen or beat a zone defense. Kennedy's teams don't box out well or pass well. That isn't a talent problem that's a coaching problem. Army and Houston Babtist out worked Kennedy's team coming off a lose to Southern!
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:
There are multiple threads on the front page that have zero Kennedy criticism in them.

1) It's the offseason so there's very little new material. That means people are going to gravitate toward past results
2) Kennedy is the HC. Most everything in the program relates to him in one way or another.
3) mallen is a known troll, so expecting anybody to take his threads seriously isn't realistic.

I don't even know what you're hoping for, content-wise, but the problems you're commenting on don't even exist to the extent you're saying they do.

Let's say your wife comes home with a bad haircut. Well, if it's my wife and she asks me about it, I'll be honest and tell her it's not a very good haircut and I wouldn't get it cut that way again. She will take the constructive criticism and she's fine with it. But if for the next week I keep making wise cracks about her hair over and over and over, I'll probably get a swift kick in the crotch.

We all know the deficiencies of the coach and the status of this basketball program. Do we have to re-hash it in most every basketball discussion on the forum when we aren't directly discussing Kennedy's performance. If somebody comes in and says Kennedy is a good coach, etc. yeah, the discussion warrants a rebuttal from those that feel he isn't good. But I don;t think "Kennedy sucks" is a legitimate rebuttal. Saying anything sucks is not a discussion. It's a lazy way to express your opinion without providing anything of relevance for discussion.

So it's as much about style and tone as it is about frequency and appropriate discussion thread. l'll put it to the test and start a legitimate Kennedy discussion thread.
Look, I'm not saying pot banging is out of place on some threads. My only point was that it's the offseason and that Kennedy doesn't exactly have a small role in the program. Therefore, with so little legit discussion fodder and Kennedy's last 3 years here, there just isn't a whole lot to say other than pot bang.

It's not like the other more moderate posters are doing much better. I think this is the 18th time that Pumpkinhead has posted that Caruso has grown a half inch or an inch (from 6'5ish all the way to 6'6ish) and bulked up a bit. And he really might have posted the "make X thousand shots goal" 30+ times. But that's fine because it's the offseason. There's just nothing much to say about anything, so you expect repetition.

The board will pick up and get out of its rut once the season begins.
mallen
AG
Let's get back to discussing the 2015 recruiting class. There is still potential to add some top talent in the coming months.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Therefore, with so little legit discussion fodder and Kennedy's last 3 years here, there just isn't a whole lot to say other than pot bang.

There's just nothing much to say about anything, so you expect repetition.

Deputy, what the heck are you talking about regarding so little legit discussion fodder? Just think about all the stuff that has happened this off-season since May.

- Cyprien's contract not extended (meltdown ensues)
- Tonny Trocha and Peyton Allen sign (cool)
- Avery Johnson Jr signs (Love the name! But is he worth a scholarship? Debate ensues...)
- Rahim hired (is that Cyp's replacement? Okay for Reese but for Cyp? Eh...)
- Jamal Jones transfers (meltdown ensues...okay we are truly fricked next season...wheels falling off now definitely)
- Rick Stansbury is hired (Whoa...didn't see that coming! Interesting...is he HCIW? Why would he come here? How will two guys used to being head coach get along? Really, just WTF is going on?)
- So...will Stansbury mean former 5-star Devonta Pollard might come here?
- Danuel House visits with family and former AAU coach (wuh? Wait a minute...did not UH restrict him from all in-state schools? A&M got a special exclusion to be the only in-state school he could transfer to? Why?)
- Devonta Pollard transfers to UH. (Oh, now we see why House can come to A&M...very clever)
- Daneul House signs with A&M (nice!)
- New non-con schedule gradually comes out and it is not only harder but has a home-and-home with Baylor on it!!!!!!!!! (Meltdown by some of the fanbase who never wants to play Baylor again ensues)
- highly rated Tyler Davis commits to A&M (Holy Crap! Wow! Did not see that coming...signing Avery Johnson Jr was a very smart move! Forget everything negative we ever said about that scholarship being questionable)
- Kennedy gets 2 year extension (meltdown ensues)
- highly rated DJ Hogg commits to A&M (Yeeeeeeeesssssssss! Did we say that signing Avery Johnson Jr was a very smart move? Let's say that repetively until Deputy Travis mentions how many times that has been said)
- Elijah Thomas schedules official visit for Oct. 11 (We might still not be done for the 2015 recruiting class and this guy is still in play?)
- Malik Newman schedules official visit for Oct. 11 (Okay, now some of us will be seriously drinking the Kool-Aid if Stansbury pulls that one off).

I think this basketball off-season actually has had quite a few unexpected twists and turns in it. Personally, I've gotten more sucked into this particular off-season than I have been in quite some time.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
I think this is the 18th time that Pumpkinhead has posted that Caruso has grown a half inch or an inch (from 6'5ish all the way to 6'6ish) and
bulked up a bit. And he really might have posted the "make X thousand
shots goal" 30+ times. But that's fine because it's the offseason.
There's just nothing much to say about anything, so you expect
repetition.

I posted Kennedy's Bucket Ice Challenge video thread today which was a first of its kind. Just what the heck original material have you posted today, smarty pants?

Here is something you maybe haven't seen yet. An actual recent photo of Caruso vs. Peyton Allen in full glory showing 'Before/After' of a player who has been working with Darby for 2 seasons vs. a player who has just been in the D1 strength and condition program for a few months.

And clearly Peyton Allen needs to start eating more apples.

agfan1030
  • Thomas is getting some push from his friends to commit soon.
  • This new TexAgs format is not friendly to posting twitter posts.

• Elijah Thomas @edotcash

1h

Bro.... Everyone's committing

• Elijah Thomas retweeted

[url=https://twitter.com/HSportsAccess] HoustonSportsAccess @HSportsAccess

[/url] 47m

@edotcash It's your turn big fella!!

• solo dolo @Myles_A2 @edotcash we waiting on you now

• Elijah Thomas @edotcash

36m

"@Original_Vaughn: @edotcash could you be next?"

• mallen
    AG
    What will it take for the Aggies to have the consensus #1 recruiting class for 2015? Is this even possible given the recruits we are looking at?

My thoughts are Thomas and Newman both would need to commit to push us into the top 2 given that other top programs like Duke might add another player or two before the recruiting cycle ends.
    Pumpkinhead
    AG
    mallen, Kentucky's MO is to cleanup up a bunch of top players in the spring and finish #1. It is what they do.
    mallen
    AG
    Kentucky is recruiting Newman so perhaps we can steal away one of their usual one and done prospects. I would not be unhappy about finishing #2.
    LawHall88
    AG
    quote:
    Elijah Johnson schedules official visit for Oct. 11 (We might still not be done for the 2015 recruiting class and this guy is still in play?)

Elijah Thomas, but you know that...

Maybe he is from Rock Ridge.

And there has been little discussion of Brandon Sampson, a top 50 recruit from Louisiana who has us in his final five. Or did last I saw, anyway.
    mallen
    AG
    Appears that the Aggies are still in play for Sampson who is the #1 rated player in the state of LA and is also considering LSU.

quote:
    Brandon Sampson, a 6-foot-4, 175-pound shooting guard from Baton Rouge (LA) Madison, is in the middle of in-home visits while also planning several officials.Sampson met with California Monday and is planning an official visit there.
    USC comes in Tuesday (today), while Oklahoma State and Texas A&M are also expected.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/brandon-sampson-having-in-homes-will-visit-st-johns/

viva torrente
    quote:
    Let's get back to discussing the 2015 recruiting class. There is still potential to add some top talent in the coming months.

How much talent does BK need to make his 3rd NCAA appearance in 18 years (2015 would be the start of his 18th season as a HC)?

Do we have enough talent committed now or are we going to need a no. 1 class?
    twenty two ags
    quote:
    yes, lets ignore the fact that you're responsible for 90% of the posts on this thread and get back to the class.

great class. really impressive. better than ever, everyone agrees. here's the problem: its a broken record, and it is happening earlier than ever.
    here is a little fact based history lesson that doesnt have any of that mean ol "BK sucks" stuff:
    entering last season pretty much everyone (bangers and pumpers) were in agreement, season 3 would be "put up or shut up" time after 2 HORRIBLE seasons for BK. the pumpers didnt change their tune until the back end of conference play when suddenly it dawned on them that BK wasnt making NCAA/NIT yet again. and so the excuses began in late feb/march. there were players thrown under the bus, but the real mantra for the pumpers was that BK needs one more year - the new talent coming in is the talent he needs to turn the corner. trocha and a-rob are DIFFERENCE MAKERS!!!.
    now, fast forward to today. the pumper's saviors from march are in the program and we still look like a best case bubble NIT/worst case no postseason team. but that doesnt faze the pumpers. 2 months before the season starts they've already moved the focus beyond any of the games/results of the upcoming 2014/15 season and are telling us to wait until 2015/16 when the two stud recruits arrive!! then BIG things will happen!!!
    and the sad reality is that with the ridiculous extension given to kennedy, we are now on the hook for 4 more seasons of paying BK ($1mil per season), and there is virtually no scenario where BK gets fired/steps down after this current season.
    if you care about aggie basketball, Hyman just gave you the finger. each and every one of us. pumpers and bangers alike.
    Ben Diamond
    Wonder where Gregg Marshals recruiting classes rank? I'd rather have a coach who can coach and have unranked recruiting classes.
    Ben Diamond
    Andrew Young and F-Harris were the game changers after Kennedy's first season. When that didn't work out it was kick the can to Space and Jones. It's a broken record of wait till next season so we can unveil Billy Kennedy's new shiny toys! It's amazing to watch this play out.
    mallen
    AG
    When was the last time the Aggies posted a Top Ten recruiting class? Definitely not under Gillispie or Turgeon. I'm not sure how the 2015 class is business as usual under Kennedy given that it might be the best ever.
    viva torrente
    quote:
    When was the last time the Aggies posted a Top Ten recruiting class?
    Does it matter if it doesn't lead to postseason appearances?

You didn't answer my question. Do you think this class is enough for BK to make his 3rd NCAA appearance in 18 years as a HC or do we need the no. 1 class to ensure that.

quote:
    Definitely not under Gillispie or Turgeon.
    While here, those coaches regularly went to the NCAAs and won games there, I'll forgive them for not recruiting a top 10 class.
    mallen
    AG
    A top ten recruiting class is absolutely adequate to make the NCAAs.
    viva torrente
    quote:
    A top ten recruiting class is absolutely adequate to make the NCAAs.

Do you think BK can take a top ten recruiting class to the NCAAs for his third NCAA appearance in 18 years as a HC? That was the question.
    mallen
    AG
    Absolutely. I will go even further and state that I believe Kennedy will set some records here before he is done.
    Ben Diamond
    mallen again. Texas A&M has never posted a top ten recruiting class.
    Ben Diamond
    Records! Now I've read it all!
    viva torrente
    quote:
    Absolutely. I will go even farther and state that I believe Kennedy will set some records here before he is done.

Why? His career record and performance here do not indicate that. He is a coach that in 16 years as a HC, has more losing seasons (6) than NCAAs (2). He has only finished above .500 in conference play 8 times in 16 years. He has a had a losing conference record 7 times in 16 years. He has finished with an RPI 100+ every year here.

A top ten class is no guarantee with a coach like him. Much better coaches like John Calipari have seen an immense amount of talent crash and burn in the first round of the NIT.

I wish you could provide some evidence on why you believe he will get it done here. Something more than he has a top ten class coming in 2015, because history shows coaches failing to make the NCAAs with that kind of talent.
    mallen
    AG
    I think we've covered this ground in the BK thread. His last two stops he set records before moving on. He took SE LA to its first ever NCAA tournament. SE LA averaged 6 wins a season before he arrived and 22 wins a season before he left. He led Murray State to its best season ever before falling to NCAA runner-up Butler in a game that came down to the final minute.

Given the rocky road Kennedy faced his first year here (under no fault of his own), I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he will get things turned around.
    viva torrente
    quote:
    I think we've covered this ground in the BK thread. His last two stops he set records before moving on. He took SE LA to its first ever NCAA
    tournament. SE LA averaged 6 wins a season before he arrived and 22
    wins a season before he left. He led Murray State to its best season
    ever before falling to NCAA runner-up Butler in a game that came down to
    the final minute.

That really doesn't provide evidence. He had four awful seasons at SE La. before having his first winning season and his successor, Steve Prohm surpassed his accomplishments at Murray St. in his first season.

And BK's predecessor at Murray State, Mick Cronin made 2 NCAAs in 3 years, while BK only made the NCAAs once in 5 years.

Again, he has 2 NCAA appearances against 6 losing seasons in 16 years of being a HC. BK is three times more likely to have a losing season than make the NCAAs. He has had a losing conference record 7 years out 16. He has led A&M to three straight 100+ RPI finishes and no postseason after 7 straight years of postseason appearances under two coaches. This was not a rebuilding job, yet it became one under BK.

Do you have any evidence that BK is a good coach and will get it done here? 2 NCAA appearances in 16 years is not evidence. Watkins had 2 NCAA appearances in half that time. By your reasoning, Watkins is a successful coach and should have set records at A&M. Well he did, and I hope those are not the records you are talking about BK setting here.
    mallen
    AG
    quote:
    That really doesn't provide evidence.
    I think you're failing to look at Kennedy's career in context of where he entered both of those programs. SE LA was at or near the bottom of the league when he started and was at the top when he left. In building a program like that you don't jump from 6 wins the prior season to 20 wins in season 2 or 3. The fact that he didn't average 20 wins a season and make the NCAA tourney for his entire time there doesn't bother me.

At Murray State he entered the program with a depleted roster (lost 4 starters from prior season) and eventually built the program to new heights. So I don't think you are comparing apples to apples when you compare Kennedy's NCAA tournament appearances (in a vacuum) to some of his predecessors.
    viva torrente
    quote:
    I think you're failing to look at Kennedy's career in context of where he entered both of those programs.
    Let's look at the context of the program he entered here. 7 straight postseason appearances, with 6 straight NCAAs, under 2 different coaches. 7 straight 20+ win seasons. The program never finished below .500 in conference play during that time.

Since BK has taken over the A&M basketball program, he has missed the postseason every year, had a losing conference record every year, failed to win 20 games every year, he has finished with an RPI 100+ every year. In his three years here, he has taken a once thriving program and wrecked it.

You can keep trying to spin it but BK's record is what it is. 2 NCAAs in 16 years, a .535 career winning percentage, 6 losing seasons in 16 years, only 7 winning conference records in 16 years, do not indicate a good coach or one that will be successful here. Nothing in his career indicates he can maintain long term success and certainly it doesn't indicate he can get it done here. Two good years and a bunch of bad ones do not suffice as evidence.

You can try to parse/spin/excuse all you want but nothing you can come up with trumps the real numbers of BK's career.
    mallen
    AG
    You asked me to explain my optimism for Kennedy eventually righting the ship and setting some records here and I explained my rationale. I fully understand that you will not be persuaded otherwise and that was not my intent. Now let's get back to discussing recruiting!
    Ben Diamond
    Records? A few good seasons are records.
    NoHo Hank
    AG
    So Mallen, you say year one was rocky through no fault of his own. Care to explain years 2 and 3, which in a lot of ways were as bad or worse?
    Ben Diamond
    None of this is Billy Kenndys fault. Eric Hyman tells mallen what to say.
    jml2621
    quote:
    quote:
    don't count on Kenny Troutt sending multiple guys our way in the future

I have noticed that you keep bringing up Troutt in different threads as the key behind the recent recruiting surge, when there are other factors that are much more established such as Avery Johnson Sr. and his son really liking A&M, and other players gravitating to the Johnsons. Logan said on the radio that Avery Sr. gets along great with the staff and has been coming to College Station frequently. I've also seen direct quotes from the Titans AAU coach in articles, saying good things about our coaches.

I have read nothing specific to Troutt and him having a special interest in A&M. If you could provide a link where either a local or national recruiting source has mentioned Troutt as the key person who has been 'sending guys our way' then would be interested in seeing that.

Without Troutt, the surge would be a trickle. I don't count House as a surge. Robinson is a nice addition, but he may not start until his Jr year.

Trout is a catalyst, a way of leveraging players. We simply don't have the

system

dynamic HC

recent record of winning

To draw 5* and high 4* players

Troutt and A&M share critical values and has a huge influence on the titan kids...Avery Johnson Jr and Sr have been great cheerleaders, but they are just that. We're lucky to have Hogg and Davis on the way.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.