Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Corned Beef Recipe

929 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DavisGary88
Danger Mouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In honor of St. Patrick's Day, what is your recipe for corned beef? Crockpot, oven, or pit made?

I'm presently doing a Crockpot one.

brown sugar
mustard powder
cracked black pepper
salt
garlic cloves (to your heart's desire)
bone in beef broth
bottle of Guiness
whole onion
Class of '91 (MEEN)
DiskoTroop
You're starting with an already corned beef piece I presume.
swampstander
AG
My Mother's side is Irish and I have been eating New England boiled dinner (corned beef and cabbage) for as long as I have been able to chew. I rinse mine well and bring to a boil then simmer with the spice packet, a couple garlic cloves, a couple medium yellow onions peeled and quartered through the root end so they stay together and 2-3 stalks of celery cut in half. Skim off foam as needed. Follow the directions on the pkg for cook times they typically hold true. About an hour before its done add in a rutabaga cut in 8ths. At 45 min add 3 - 4 carrots cut in half. At 30 min add in a few potatoes quartered. When the beef is done pull it out and tent with foil to rest. Check veggies for doneness and leave in pot or remove and keep warm as needed. Add a cabbage that has been cut into six wedges and cored. Bring back to a boil then simmer for about 5-10 minutes till tender. Serve with mustard, soda bread and of course dry stout. Chop and mix together all leftovers for Irish Hash. Makes a great breakfast with a fried egg on top.

Danger Mouse
AG
Thanks for sharing, that sounds absolutely delicious!!!!! Traveled to Ireland last summer for my bday. Had a total blast.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
swampstander
AG
swampstander said:

My Mother's side is Irish and I have been eating New England boiled dinner (corned beef and cabbage) for as long as I have been able to chew. I rinse mine well and bring to a boil then simmer with the spice packet, a couple garlic cloves, a couple medium yellow onions peeled and quartered through the root end so they stay together and 2-3 stalks of celery cut in half. Skim off foam as needed. Follow the directions on the pkg for cook times they typically hold true. About an hour before its done add in a rutabaga cut in 8ths. At 45 min add 3 - 4 carrots cut in half. At 30 min add in a few potatoes quartered. When the beef is done pull it out and tent with foil to rest. Check veggies for doneness and leave in pot or remove and keep warm as needed. Add a cabbage that has been cut into six wedges and cored. Bring back to a boil then simmer for about 5-10 minutes till tender. Serve with mustard, soda bread and of course dry stout. Chop and mix together all leftovers for Irish Hash. Makes a great breakfast with a fried egg on top.

Pro tip: save the resulting broth. It makes a great base for a delicious potato soup.
DavisGary88
I use chef Tom's recipe from All Things Bbq. He has a recipe for making pastrami. I've never smoked the brined brisket to make pastrami. Makes a great corned beef recipe..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.