Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chicken tenders

2,592 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by LCE
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old man yells at clouds: I went to Chicken Express this weekend and 20 chicken tenders, no sides, costs $37. If the grease didn't give me a coronary, the price did.

Found this video and made it tonight. This guy knows how to make some chicken.

FIDO*98*
AG
The $37 is so you don't have to clean the mess and smell your house up. The chicken is free

I do quite a bit of these for tailgating or game watching parties, but I have a Cajun fryer and use aluminum pans so everything can go straight to the trash when done and cleanup is as easy as hosing off the driveway. I do like to soak mine in salty buttermilk with a few dashes of Franks the night before, otherwise same technique only both of my flours are seasoned. It's also faster and easier to cut chicken breast into strips than it is to take the tendon out of the tender
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Fair point. I don't mind a mess if the meal turns out to be worth it, and we're fortunate to have commercial appliances, so the vent hood ensures that smells never get a chance to travel through the house.

Still, very valid point. Takes plenty of time to prep all that.
GarlandAg2012
AG
FIDO*98* said:

The $37 is so you don't have to clean the mess and smell your house up. The chicken is free

I do quite a bit of these for tailgating or game watching parties, but I have a Cajun fryer and use aluminum pans so everything can go straight to the trash when done and cleanup is as easy as hosing off the driveway. I do like to soak mine in salty buttermilk with a few dashes of Franks the night before, otherwise same technique only both of my flours are seasoned. It's also faster and easier to cut chicken breast into strips than it is to take the tendon out of the tender
When you say cajun fryer, are you referring to this design? https://cajunfryer.com/shop/ff2r-st-4-gallon-2-basket-fryer-with-stand/

How does that help with cleanup? Seems like you still end up with a few gallons of used cooking oil.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I have a counter top fryer, but I always end up using the biggest cast iron skillet I have, on account of using so much oil to fill the fryer up.
FIDO*98*
AG
I drain the oil through a strainer funnel into an old school 5 gallon steel gas can so I don't have to wait for it to cool. Then I just hose it down with the jet nozzle with the drain open over grass. It's far easier than a countertop fryer, but I'll use cast iron as well if it's just our family
Bruce Almighty
AG
Down the storm drain while wearing a robe, drinking a beer and smoking a cigar.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
FIDO*98*
AG
Our place on North Padre has a storm drain at the edge of the driveway. After a fish fry I drain the oil and roll the fryer so the drain sits over the storm drain and hose away. (Minus the robe and cigar)
Sethtevious
MoreCushing4thePushing said:

Old man yells at clouds: I went to Chicken Express this weekend and 20 chicken tenders, no sides, costs $37. If the grease didn't give me a coronary, the price did.

Found this video and made it tonight. This guy knows how to make some chicken.

Guy is like an Asian Brian Lagerstrom. I always enjoy videos where people make several different things from scratch, so thanks for the link.
Sethtevious

BTW, I'm guessing you didn't make the rolls in the recipe? 2 cups of flour weighs the same as one cup of milk, so you'd be at 100% hydration. Add in the butter and egg, and you're actually over 100%, you'd have a buttery egg flour soup in your bowl. You need to add at least another cup of flour, preferably 1.5 more to make that recipe work.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've been threatening to try chicken strips for a while. Might give it a shot soon.

He's a little (lot) annoying. The weird use of ~heat high for 10 then drop to....~ is stupid. The results are going to completely vary based on burner, pot materials, etc. Put a damn thermometer in the pot if you want to tell people how to cook. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention and missed his temps. I know - I can google it otherwise.

Second - I appreciate 1 bite with audio to show the crunch, but there's no way in hades I could watch the last half of that video w/him smacking away.
Take the trash out staff.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I did make the rolls, but only added another 1/4 cup of flour as I was mixing. This was not an instance where I used a scale to measure my flour, so not sure what the actual weight was.
Sethtevious
Garrelli 5000 said:

Second - I appreciate 1 bite with audio to show the crunch, but there's no way in hades I could watch the last half of that video w/him smacking away.
He was trying to up viewership/monetize ASMR. Some people enjoy those sounds, hence him spending half a video just making those sounds. It's repugnant to us, but we're not his target audience for that.
Sethtevious
MoreCushing4thePushing said:

I did make the rolls, but only added another 1/4 cup of flour as I was mixing. This was not an instance where I used a scale to measure my flour, so not sure what the actual weight was.
'Keep adding flour until you get the dough consistency you want' is a proven technique.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I really don't get the ASMR fad.
Ag_07
AG
20 tenders for $37 is like $0.50 per tender

That's cheap AF!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's cheap AF!

Bruce Almighty
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's cheap AF!

Don't let message board geniuses see this post.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's cheap AF!
Tell me you're a tax assessor without telling me you're a tax assessor
Garrelli 5000
AG
Ahh thank you. Showing my age never heard of asmr.
Take the trash out staff.
Sethtevious
Bruce Almighty said:

I really don't get the ASMR fad.

I'm convinced it is another thing people can self-identify as so they can feel unique and special and seek validation online.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Down the storm drain while wearing a robe, drinking a beer and smoking a cigar.

****ter's full!
LCE
AG
Looked it up and I'm guessing it's for people w special needs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.