Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

would you call this gravy or stock?

2,004 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Ogre09
Sethtevious
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Not trying to get into an argument over semantics, but when you're constantly pouring water over meat and vegetables to let it simmer in the juices, that is a stock to me. Gravy, by definition, has some type of thickener.

Is this a regional dialect thing, where any type of pan sauce made with the meat is called 'gravy', or am I off?

Matsui
AG
Same
schmendeler
AG
Yeah gravy needs a roux, imo. Otherwise, it's a stock or jus or demi-glace, thickened by gelatin.
FIDO*98*
AG
It's Jus but the word gravy is definitely used differently regionally. Pasta sauce is called gravy in the Northeast for instance
Pondering65
AG
FIDO*98* said:

It's Jus but the word gravy is definitely used differently regionally. Pasta sauce is called gravy in the Northeast for instance
always wondered why my lasagna came with delicious red gravy.
HtownAg92
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Doing a "Sunday Gravy" from a recipe of an Italian grandma in Jersey is fun and rewarding.
FIDO*98*
AG
Yeah, I make mine with short ribs, pork ribs, meatballs, and braccioli. Middle aged white guy from Texas with no Italian roots. Just as much fun without the awful Jersey accent
Sethtevious
FIDO*98* said:

Sunday gravy usually has short ribs or braciole or sausage or meatballs (or all four) which give off bone marrow and rendered fat to help thicken the sauce, hence it becomes a gravy.
FIDO*98*
AG
That explanation assumes a standard for defining gravy as a sauce that has been thickened by any ingredient. Is Hollandaise or Mornay gravy too? I don't really know. Red Eye gravy isn't thickened at all

"Sugo" translates to Sauce so Sunday Sugo = Sunday Sauce but it's obviously not wrong to call it Sunday Gravy. I still say it's a generally accepted regional word rather than a well defined culinary standard
Sethtevious
FIDO*98* said:

That explanation assumes a standard for defining gravy as a sauce that has been thickened by any ingredient. Is Hollandaise or Mornay gravy too? I don't really know. Red Eye gravy isn't thickened at all

"Sugo" translates to Sauce so Sunday Sugo = Sunday Sauce but it's obviously not wrong to call it Sunday Gravy. I still say it's a generally accepted regional word rather than a well defined culinary standard
Per Google/wikipedia:

Quote:

Gravy is a topping or sauce often made from the juices of meats that run naturally during cooking and often thickened with corn starch or other thickeners for added texture.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Sethtevious said:

FIDO*98* said:

Per Google/wikipedia:

Quote:

Gravy is a topping or sauce often made from the juices of meats that run naturally during cooking and often thickened with corn starch or other thickeners for added texture.

I see that someone at Google/Wikipedia has never had chocolate gravy
FIDO*98*
AG
I their use of "often" twice is indicative of my point. The most recognizable type of gravy isn't made of drippings at all meanwhile the most concentrated and thick product of meat juices, Demi glace, isn't considered a gravy at all. By the Wiki definition every sauce is gravy
Sethtevious
DatTallArchitect said:

Sethtevious said:

FIDO*98* said:

Per Google/wikipedia:

Quote:

Quote:

Chocolate gravy is a sweet sauce made with flour, fat, cocoa powder, and sugar. It's commonly served for breakfast over biscuits in the Appalachian Mountains.
Flour and fat are both thickeners.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Sethtevious said:

DatTallArchitect said:

Sethtevious said:

FIDO*98* said:

Per Google/wikipedia:

Quote:

Quote:

Chocolate gravy is a sweet sauce made with flour, fat, cocoa powder, and sugar. It's commonly served for breakfast over biscuits in the Appalachian Mountains.
Flour and fat are both thickeners.
Their definition also says gravy starts with the juices from meat, and I don't know anyone that does that with their chocolate gravy.
FIDO*98*
AG
According to that vague definition every sauce is gravy. According to reality, I'm sticking with a generally accepted term that varies regionally
Bruce Almighty
AG
That wiki definition is in English and they don't speak English in Louisiana. Invalid argument.
DatTallArchitect
AG
FIDO*98* said:

According to that vague definition every sauce is gravy. According to reality, I'm sticking with a generally accepted term that varies regionally
I agree, hence why I pity whoever wrote that definition.
Sethtevious
Bruce Almighty said:

That wiki definition is in English and they don't speak English in Louisiana. Invalid argument.
Best argument so far!
TequilaMockingbird
Just shut up and eat it.
schmendeler
AG
TWSS
Ogre09
AG
Gravy is a thickened sauce made from roux and some liquid. Sometimes gravy is made with cornstarch instead of roux, but that doesn't taste right. The roux can be made from meat drippings, butter, or oil. The liquid can be jus, stock, or milk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.