Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Prime ribeye cap steaks from Costco

17,305 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Long Live Sully
Long Live Sully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you haven't bought them get there and buy some. Best steak ever.

Note. Only available Thursday through Sunday.
NColoradoAG
Pro tip: buy the spinalis dorsi AND the trimmed ribeye steaks. Have the cap for appetizers and the steak for dinner.
HTownAg98
DIlly dilly.
Long Live Sully
AG
I dunno. Eating as a steak was outstanding. Although we did sit around thinking of other uses like rolling out and making pepper steak bites.
jh0400
AG
I assume these avoid the blade tenderization that most of their other steaks get.
HTownAg98
Cow Hop Ag said:

I dunno. Eating as a steak was outstanding. Although we did sit around thinking of other uses like rolling out and making pepper steak bites.

That would be really good if you could do them in a cast iron pan or a wok that was nearly glowing red. I imagine it would make the most awesome Shaking Beef you've ever had.
Long Live Sully
AG
I have never observed that they do that.
Long Live Sully
AG
I will bring the steak if you cook it. That is a great idea.
HTownAg98
I'm actually in Austin, so it might be a further trip.

Here's my Shaking Beef recipe.
https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2008/05/wok-seared-shak.html
The only thing I change is to not marinate the beef; I use the marinade as a finishing sauce. Coat the meat pieces in a little oil, and sear it. Once the meat is seared, add the marinade, reduce it until the meat is coated (this will take about 15 seconds), and serve.
Long Live Sully
AG
Thanks.. I am making that next weekend.
jh0400
AG
Check the label on a pack of steaks next time you're there. Most of them have been blade tenderized.
NColoradoAG
jh0400 said:

I assume these avoid the blade tenderization that most of their other steaks get.

I wish they would quit blade tenderizing.

But im one of those hipster idiots who cooks his steaks in boiling bags of water so it's all good.
NColoradoAG
Cow Hop Ag said:

I have never observed that they do that.

Almost all steaks cut in house at Costco are blade tenderized. Its right on the label. Subprimal cuts in the cryo bags are not blade tenderized

Long Live Sully
AG
Thanks. So, what is the objection to that? I know the term as needling.
NColoradoAG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Thanks. So, what is the objection to that? I know the term as needling.

Theoretically increases the risk of foodborne illness. That's why it says to cook those steaks to 160.
Long Live Sully
AG
Huh.. Well, anything above 143 is criminal.
NColoradoAG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Which is why so many costco members question why they do that to prime beef in the first place.
Long Live Sully
AG
I know people there. I am going to ask. Especially prime. I think it an effort to add value, but that is not necessary at all.
Ag MD 84
AG
Cooked a couple of these few weeks ago. Reverse sear on BGE, medium rare, served with roasted garlic herb butter. Sealed a couple more and put in freezer for another time. Paid $19.99/lb---but well worth it.
jeffdjohnson
NColoradoAG said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Which is why so many costco members question why they do that to prime beef in the first place.

Edit: Look like Sous Vide was already mentioned on this thread. I'll still link the graph as it is interesting. Beef at 140F (60C) will be pasteurized if held for 15 minutes at that temperature. Therefore a steak from the refrigerator could reach 140F within 45 minutes and be pasteurized in 60 minutes. Hold for 75 minutes to be safe as it won't affect the final outcome.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
A coworker turned me on to this a couple weeks ago. By far my favorite cut of meat. I'm planning on picking up several for the Astros game on Friday.
TCSD84
These are great but IMO too soft if not cooked to medium. Mid rare on rib cap is no bueno.
AggieChemist
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

NColoradoAG said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

Edit: Look like Sous Vide was already mentioned on this thread. I'll still link the graph as it is interesting. Beef at 140F (60C) will be pasteurized if held for 15 minutes at that temperature. Therefore a steak from the refrigerator could reach 140F within 45 minutes and be pasteurized in 60 minutes. Hold for 75 minutes to be safe as it won't affect the final outcome.

1 second at an internal temp of 140 is too many.
ftworthag02
AG
Best way to prepare?
HTownAg98
Season with salt and sear in cast iron or a carbon steel pan that is ripping hot. Do this outside.
tsuag10
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Agreed. This is very interesting.

While marbling doesn't always directly relate to tenderness, it doesn't make sense that they would mechanically tenderize a premium product, knowing that it will most likely be cooked to medium/medium rare.

Edit: Unless maybe Costco has the statement programmed in for all of their beef since most of the other "less premium" cuts are tenderized. If thats the case, these may not actually be tenderized, they might just have it printed on the label.
I don't shop at Costco, so can someone confirm/deny if the mechanically tenderized statement is on ALL their steaks or just some?

Also, here is a link to info about mechanical tenderization for those who are interested. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/MTB/mechanically-tenderized-beef
NColoradoAG
It is on all of their packaged Kirkland brand steaks. Hell, it's even on some Wagyu. I do not know though if it is just some canned labeling and it's not actually occurring. Seems odd to put that on the label though if you're not doing it. Maybe it's just general CYA

Based on this quick image search, it looks like they may have started blade tenderizing around 2012.

It's hard to see in some of these images, but it's there on the first line of fine print

These almost look Wagyu that was mislabeled.

The sub primal cuts in cryovac bags are not mechanically tenderized

Long Live Sully
AG
I stopped into a Costco today and ask for the meat manager. It turns out anything that they process in house is bladed. And he really couldn't explain why they do that other than to say they tenderize the whole rib roll and then remove the cap. But I still bought some more of these steaks and will cook them to 143 degrees.
tsuag10
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

I stopped into a Costco today and ask for the meat manager. It turns out anything that they process in house is bladed. And he really couldn't explain why they do that other than to say they tenderize the whole rib roll and then remove the cap. But I still bought some more of these steaks and will cook them to 143 degrees.
Did he say that they blade tenderize at the stores, or does it come in blade tenderized? I mainly ask because I would be very surprised if they have these machines in each store. They aren't small, and they aren't cheap.

Also, there is a chance that some of their product is blade tenderized and some of it isn't. Yet they keep the labeling on the packages as a CYA just in case things change. For example: If you normally get beef from Supplier A and he does not blade tenderize, but Supplier A has issues and you need to get a shipment from Supplier B, who does blade tenderize. If you forget to change the print-out label, you would technically be violating Federal regulations and potentially subject to recall.

To be clear, I don't have any issues with mechanically tenderized beef as long as the consumer is aware of what they are getting. Generally speaking, it is still a very good safe product.
Long Live Sully
AG
They do it in house according to Nate at the South Austin location. They are needling the whole rib roll and then taking off the cap. They sell enough beef that they can afford that machine no problem.
tsuag10
AG
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
Long Live Sully
AG
Welcome.. I showed him the minimum temp note and he kind of smiled. Totally butt covering exercise.
jetch17
AG
Grilled up some of these caps tonight, fugging delicious
Theblondewonder
AG
has anyone found these at the costco in Katy or Sugar Land?
schmendeler
AG
Arin Jobe said:

has anyone found these at the costco in Katy or Sugar Land?
I'd be very surprised if they didn't have them. to be doubly sure, go when they are having one of their weekend meat showcases (when they have the portable display case out front of the meat department)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.