Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Madam Mam's - Thai Chili Paste???

6,044 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jwiklandour
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This stuff is the BOMB!

Is this technically 'Nam Prik Pao'? I live 2 hours from the nearest location. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and any ideas on recipes to make it at home? Most of the stuff I see online looks a little wetter if it is in fact, prik pao. TIA!!!
raidernarizona
No ideas?
Slicer97
AG
Not really.

I just order the catfish pad cha there and call it a day.
raidernarizona
Well, try the chili paste next time and at least let me know I was right. It's the t*ts!
BurnetAggie99
http://inquiringchef.com/nam-prik-pao-thai-chili-paste/
raidernarizona
Thx Burnet, I'd found that one, but it looks nothing like Madam Mam's. That reminds of the Sriracha chili paste just in appearance alone. This stuff looks like and feels like moist sand.
Lakechick
Did you ever find out how to make it?!? I eat this stuff with EVERYTHING! Wanting to save money and make it at home! But we can't figure it out!!!
Lakechick
Did you ever find out how to make it?!? I eat this stuff with EVERYTHING! Wanting to save money and make it at home! But we can't figure it out!!!
HTownAg98
raidernarizona said:

Thx Burnet, I'd found that one, but it looks nothing like Madam Mam's. That reminds of the Sriracha chili paste just in appearance alone. This stuff looks like and feels like moist sand.

Is it oily? It may be as simple as taking ground dried chilis and cooking it in some oil.
Jwiklandour
I have also been on the hunt for this, and I believe I finally found it! I believe that it is something called Lao gan ma, and actually Chinese in origin. Also known as chili crisp oil. Check out this site: https://www.whatsonweibo.com/lao-gan-ma-story-chinas-spicy-godmother-tao-huabi/

Nam prik pao does have a more wet paste consistency so I don't think that is it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.