Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Need Maroon Hi-Temp Paint for BBQ Grill

4,827 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieHank86
AggieHank86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to paint my heavy steel BBQ pit/grill in a mostly-maroon theme. I have cleaned it and ground out and wire-brushed all the rust and pits. Wore out two grinder wheels and three rotating brushes. (Yes, it was in bad shape). Quite a job, considering the damned thing weighs about 1000 pounds.

I have primed it in white with the Rustoleum 1200-degree paint. I will be doing the working surfaces and the stack in the Rustoleum 1200 Silver and the lower parts (legs, etcetera) in 1200 flat black. All of this paint was readily-available at Home Depot.

My problem?

I thought it would be easy to find a high temperature paint in maroon somewhere online. I was wrong. The closest that I have found is "Mojave Red" from Stove Bright. Has anyone found and used something better?

I considered tinting the white hi-temp paint, but I am told that standard temp tints will deteriorate the temp resistance of the hi-temp paint.
Thriller
AG
Bad picture (just arrived yesterday and I haven't gotten proper photos yet).

Thriller
AG
4 edits and can't get it right on my phone. stand by
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I'm looking for same. Perhaps someone on the outdoors board knows.
schmellba99
AG
Look at KBS Coatings, they have all kinds of stuff. If they dont' have it, probably could mix you a custom batch.
AggieHank86
AG
MosesHallRAB83 said:

I'm looking for same. Perhaps someone on the outdoors board knows.
This is what I have found. I ordered four cans of the stuff, since I have to pay the shipping anyway.
Duncan Idaho
For a smoker, Uv is going to mess the paint up faster than the heat
AggieHank86
AG
The paint color was not quite as advertised, but I think it works.

Pardon the mess in my shop.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
How did you get the logo on there? Stencil . . . if so, where did you get it. Any details appreciated.
AggieHank86
AG
Homemade stencil
AggieHank86
AG
It occurred to me that my initial answer was probably not very helpful. I will first describe what I DID, than I will describe what I SHOULD have done.

1. Ran Google search on "Texas A&M logo"
2. Downloaded favorite image.
3. Used Photoshop to resize image to my desired size.
4. Printed two copies of image on 8.5x11 paper
5. Cut-out one copy using cutting board and exacto knife (3mm outside the lines)
6. Laid cutout over the untouched copy
7. Added painter's tape to the cutout, overlapping cutout and along lines of other copy
8. Peeled cutout off of the uncut copy.
9. Applied cutout (with painter's tape) to pit and taped around it.
10. Used plastic-lined feed sacks to further mask pit
11. Applied spray paint.
12. Pealed stencil, moved to 2d location and repeated starting at 9

I was too stubborn to drive 40 minutes to Hobby Lobby and just buy either (a) a can of stencil adhesive or (b) a few sheets of blank stencil paper. Either would have been easier.

With stencil adhesive, I could have cut along the lines and then sprayed the adhesive on the back of the paper. I could then have applied the paper directly to the pit.

With blank stencil paper, I could have printed the logo directly onto the paper and then done the cutout. Then I would have peeled the backing off the paper and applied it directly to the pit.

Next time, I will use one of the two latter options.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.