Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Charleston restaurants?

1,461 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Catfish
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Lewis Barbecue
Ag_07
AG
Lots of good ones but our two favorites were Husk and The Ordinary.

Just search Charleston and there's a good thread on the travel board with lots of reviews and suggestions.
Wicked Good Ag
See the charleston babymoon thread in travel but off top of my head

82 queen
FIG
Husk
ordinary
Obstinate daughter
Cru cafe
Muse
High cotton
Macintosh
Ag MD 84
AG
Husk, Hominy Grill, Poe's
Reel Aggies
AG
We enjoyed the Swig and Swine for BBQ.
jrweinberger
Husk, The Grocery, Edmund's Oast.

Also, Sean Brock's McCrady's has recently reopened as two separate restaurants: McCrady's Tavern (less formal) and a tasting menu in a smaller space ($125 per person). I can't vouch for McCrady's but the new iteration looks interesting.
zsh0
AG
Just my opinion, but Husk was overrated. It's good food, but not what you would expect based on the cult following. FIG is a good substitute for Husk. On the same par with food with less pretense than Husk.

Hall's Chophouse does a great steak. The dry-aged ribeye there is one of the best cuts in the country. If I have one meal in Charleston, it's at Hall's.

High Cotton and Pearlz Oyster Bar are solid.

MAROON
AG
2nd Hominy Grill, also thought SNOB was good.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks folks
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
Derm, what type of food are you looking for? The above Recommendations are all good. I should have included Hominy Grill is my list as well. Hall's I have heard is really good steaks however I haven't been so I don't like to give recs unless I have been there or someone I trust has vouched for the place.

Cru caf is similar but better than a Blue Baker type place with other items but the soup and salads my wife loved.

82 Queen she crab soup is unbelievable and Charleston authentic. It also has a great atmosphere. Muse was our favorite and was recommended by locals during a wine making class we took last year.

Charleston is IMO a top 5 food destination in America...hands down. Didn't have a bad meal and haven't eaten at even 1/3 of the places on our list
sickly02
1. McGrady's Tavern (Dinner)
2. Hominy Grill (Brunch)
3. 167 Raw (Lobster Roll & Tuna Burger are outstanding) (Lunch or Snack)
4. Rarebit (Chicken & Waffles for Brunch)

Husk was ok, but a little overrated IMO

Charleston Grill is in the Belmond Charleston Place. We stayed at the hotel, but didn't eat there. Heard after we left it's quite a treat.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Shrimp and grits at Hominy Grill was amazing.
Tanya 93
Search out the Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown episode in Charleston.

I want to go to Husk.
dave99ag
AG
zsh0 said:

Hall's Chophouse does a great steak. The dry-aged ribeye there is one of the best cuts in the country. If I have one meal in Charleston, it's at Hall's.
This. Had a great dinner there while in town for the SC game a few years back. Owner even bought us several rounds at the bar.
The Catfish
AG
Husk was our favorite place on our trip earlier this year. The service, food, and setting were all incredible. FIG was awesome too, a little bit more 'foody' if that makes sense.

More casual options that I will second are - Cru Caf and The Ordinary were both awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.