Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fish Sauce

4,217 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Proc92
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've picked up many helpful hints on this board but one of the best has to be the encouragement of using fish sauce in everything possible. It adds so much depth of flavor and as long as you cook it for a few minutes, is otherwise undetectable.

If you aren't adding some fish sauce to your stews, chilis, sauces, etc., you are really missing out.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Have you been on seriouseats recently?
Sooner Born
I haven't. Maybe I should?
Walter Kovacs
AG
Sooner Born said:

It's pretty much Kenji Lopez's standard suggestion for... everything.
HTownAg98
Buy the Red Boat brand. It costs more, but definitely worth it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Love fish sauce in recipes. A little goes a long way.

When I pour some I have a paper towel on hand to immediately wipe the side/lip of the bottle for any running down. Don't want that smell in my pantry.

If you drop a bottle of fish sauce, your only option is to burn your house to the ground.

Tastes great though in the right application!
Quinn
AG
Walter Kovacs said:

Sooner Born said:

It's pretty much Kenji Lopez's standard suggestion for... everything.
Ha, ya he adds it to everything.
bevokilla
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

Love fish sauce in recipes. A little goes a long way.

When I pour some I have a paper towel on hand to immediately wipe the side/lip of the bottle for any running down. Don't want that smell in my pantry.

If you drop a bottle of fish sauce, your only option is to burn your house to the ground.

Tastes great though in the right application!
If you buy the cheap **** yes, but if you buy Red Boat it doesn't smell anywhere near as fishy
Duncan Idaho
Probably the one condiment I won't make myself
JFrench
AG
I use phu quot. Been on kick for last 6 months or so and knocked out one of the big bottles.

HTownAg98
When it comes to fish sauce, there should be two ingredients on the label: fish (likely anchovies) and salt. If there's anything else, find another brand.
JFrench
AG
After googling looks like what i thought was the brand name is region that is heralded for their fish sauce. Flying Lion is the brand. Came from suggestion of pho place i eat at alot. Granted that suggestion was probably just showing me the bottle they used since they couldnt understand my question.

Might need to grab a few next time and sip on them.
Slicer97
AG
Does fish sauce go bad or does it have a half-life of eternity?
HTownAg98
It loses some of its potency over time.
Ag_07
AG
Hmmm...Always stayed away from this stuff because of the smell and the fact it's fish sauce. But we do cook Asian foods quite a bit so I'm willing to give it a try (plus I don't think TexAgs has ever steered me wrong on anything).

How much does it take in a typical recipe? Say something like chicken pad thai, stir fry, or beef satay.

TBSP seems like a lot so I'm thinking about a TSP?
BullSprig07
AG
I had some japanese eggplant, green onions, green bell and jalapeno's that my cousin gave me from her garden and then read this thread so seemed like a good excuse to make a stir fry with some red boat fish sauce. Great use for it! I mixed with soy and honey.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I added to a pot of chili (no beans!) recently and i think i may add it to every pot going forward. it absolutely adds some extra depth of flavor and isnt fishy at all. if anything i think it really enhances the "beefy" flavor. i need to try some other recipes with it.
AggieChemist
AG
umami
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Been cooking for many years but never used fish sauce before. Interested in giving it a try after reading this thread. Any rough guidelines as to how much to use?
Sooner Born
My opinion: 1 TBSP per lbs of meat. Having said that, be sure to salt to taste as the dish is finishing. If you add salt at its normal ratio AND fish sauce, you will over season the dish.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Fish sauce and a little soy sauce in a hamburger patty makes a fantastic burger. Not necessarily my every day hamburger, but it's damn good. The comment above that it is 'beefy' is right. And umami.

Stinks like s*** when putting it together. I always wear disposable gloves to mix fish sauce in a patty.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Thanks, Sooner.
Slicer97
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I added to a pot of chili (no beans!) recently and i think i may add it to every pot going forward. it absolutely adds some extra depth of flavor and isnt fishy at all. if anything i think it really enhances the "beefy" flavor. i need to try some other recipes with it.
How much meat and how much fish sauce?
AG
I would say a tbsp per pound of meat is about right. I tend to eyeball the amounts so I couldn't say definititively.
AG
And I would concur with Sooner that you watch your salting as the fish sauce is going to add a fair amount of it. I salt a little (and I mean a little) as I go , and usually still need to salt at the end once everything has reduced to an appropriate level. Easier to add at the end then take it out, ya know?
Tailgate88
AG
I have to admit I never thought I would hear someone recommending adding fish sauce to chili. But I'll be darned if I'm not going to try it.
Sooner Born
I was in the same boat until I tried it.
Slicer97
AG
Tried it. Will be included in all subsequent pots of chili I prepare.
HTownAg98
I put it on some roasted Brussels sprouts tonight. Damn good.
JFrench
AG
Coworker and I have revolving fish sauce entering into a process joke going for few years now. But his fav is on brussels and Ive yet to do it. And i love brussels and fish sauce.

Pathetic i havent done it.
Sooner Born
Absolutely pathetic. Can't believe you would even show your face on this thread.
Sooner Born
But seriously, how do you do fish sauce on brussels sprouts? A coating while cooking or someting like a vinaigrette to toss them in after cooking?

HTownAg98
Vinaigrette.
JFrench
AG
ironically, i was making grocery today and it popped into my head to go with steak tonight. Had request that trumped it.

To redeem myself try it with scrambled eggs. Theres a vietnamese dish that uses soy on fried or over easy egg with a baguette to sop it up. Its good there too but i like soy better.

Been wanting to add it in liue of salt in hollandaise but hasnt come up yet

AG
Slicer97 said:

Tried it. Will be included in all subsequent pots of chili I prepare.
Boom. Glad you tried it and enjoyed it. So glad i decided to try it when i did.

I just made a big pot for my office cook-off. I told a couple people that my "secret ingredient" was fish sauce and the look they gave me was one of confusion, contempt and/or disgust. lol. if i win, i may make a few more converts to the glory that is fish sauce.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.