Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What is your go to chicken and dumplings recipe

2,263 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mslags97
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coldish weather is finally coming, so I thought a big pot of that would be good.

I have my own recipe, but was wondering what yours was like. I do like veggies and mushrooms in mine.
javajaws
AG
I do a broth based plain vanilla chicken and dumplings. You could add celery or whatever you wanted to it.

Boil a chicken, remove/cool/de-bone chicken, strain broth and put back on low/medium heat. You'll have to get a feel for how much broth you need. You can always start with less and add more as needed but not the reverse.

To the broth add 2 small cans of cream of chicken soup (or 1 of the large/tall cans). Keep over low/medium heat while you are making the dumplings.

Dumplings:

4-5 c flour
2 eggs
1 can chicken broth (you can use cooled fresh broth...but I don't recall how many ozs in a can...and its usually easier to use a can/box instead of waiting for the broth to cool)
1/2 ts poultry seasoning (I often omit this if I'm out...no biggie)
1 ts salt
1 ts pepper
1 1/2 ts baking powder

Mix dry ingredients together, then egg, then chicken broth a little at a time until it comes together into a ball.

Roll them out and cut into strips and drop into broth. Add de-boned chicken when finished and let cook a few minutes until the dumplings are cooked through...but tastes better after everything has sat awhile. S&P to taste.

Gramercy Riffs
AG
This one has always been a big hit at my house:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chicken-and-dumplings-recipe2.html
FIDO*98*
AG
IMO there is nothing more bland and blah than boiled chicken. I either roast the chicken myself or buy a rotisserie chicken from the store. Then I pick it and add the carcass to homemade stock (or boxed) and make an even richer stock for use in the recipe.

My recipe is pretty much identical to the Tyler Florence recipe above with the exception of the dumplings and onions. I just use diced onion in mine and instead of adding dumplings to the.....umm....I guess you'd call it chicken stew at that point, I make a batch of German Spaetzle dumplings. I then put individual portions of the Spaetzle into serving bowls and ladle the chicken stew over the dumplings.
Max06
AG
Mine is similar to the Tyler Florence one as well. I make it offhand, so it's a little different every time I make it.

I cannot stand the doughy rolled/tortilla/rolled out canned biscuit dumplins at all. Dumplins should be almost biscuit-like in the middle, IMHO.
AgsMnn
AG
We usually use the pioneer mix for the dumplings.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I make cornmeal dumplings. I've never been a huge fan of the traditional ones.
Mathguy64
AG
Bisquick drop dumplings.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Make Broth

Use 2/1 dark meat to white meat with skin, season with salt and pepper, brown the outside of the chicken, then add onions, celery and carrots and water.

Once broth is finished remove and shred chicken, ,strain it, then use some broth, flour, butter and salt to make a rollable dough. Meanwhile separate the fat from the rest of the broth.Return broth to a boil, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch, drop equal size pieces of dough into boiling water. Boil 10 mins add chicken back and enjoy. It always gets better each day as leftovers.
mslags97
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I make cornmeal dumplings. I've never been a huge fan of the traditional ones.

Love cornmeal dumplings. Great texture!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.