Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Air popper vs microwave popcorn bowl?

5,640 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jayelbee
traxter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have either or both? I've seen one of those air poppers before at a friend's house, and it seems more convenient than popping it in a pot with oil, but it's loud and a decent amount of kernals get blown out unpopped, and some don't make it into the bowl. I was looking at getting a microwave popping bowl instead and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them compared with an air popper. But if the popcorn turns out soggy or not as good as an air popper, I might just opt for the air popper.

Duncan Idaho
They both make popcorn that taste like styrofoam
nonag97
I just pop my popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave. Toss in your kernels and a little oil, roll up the top of the bag, and listen till it stops popping. Season to taste. Always turns out great!
bigtruckguy3500
I used to do the paper bag popcorn, but then I noticed my plates were getting slightly stained from the oil burning on them in the microwave. So I switched to an air popper. I agree with it tasting like styrofoam though. A little butter helps. I'm actually somewhat interested in this bowl as well. Assuming they both have the same texture, I'd imagine the bowl is more convenient.

If interested in the paper bag popcorn trick: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-make-microwave-popcorn-brown-paper-bag.html
NColoradoAG
Whirley Pop FTW
Zemira
AG
Go for the air popper if you are going for no fat/salt.

For actual popcorn try a model similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-82306-6-Quart-Electric/dp/B00004RC6R/ref=zg_bs_1090764_25

It is electric stirs itself and pops most of the kernels.

Also the whirly pop us good but remember to control the heat and stir.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.