Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hebert's Cajun Pot Roast

13,643 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tailgate88
Agz_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have a recipe for Cajun pot roast similar to what Hebert's used to serve?

Between that and the red beans and rice, I loved going there.
rhoswen
AG
I've been experimenting for awhile and this recipe is the closest I've found:

https://comfortfoodfromlouisiana.blogspot.com/2009/07/recipe-johns-cajun-pot-roast.html

I use spices instead of tonys because I find tonys waaaaaaaaay too salty. Use the juice from the crock pot to make the gravy.
Doug Glatt
AG
Damn this makes me miss that place...
Pabby
AG
rhoswen said:

I've been experimenting for awhile and this recipe is the closest I've found:

https://comfortfoodfromlouisiana.blogspot.com/2009/07/recipe-johns-cajun-pot-roast.html

I use spices instead of tonys because I find tonys waaaaaaaaay too salty. Use the juice from the crock pot to make the gravy.
Cajun father in law makes something similar to this they call "rice and gravy". At first I imagined white rice and white gravy, but after he served it to me it may be one of the my favorite things he makes. Also does a variation with thin cut pork chops that is very good. A nice special ingredient too is some sausage to go along with everything. The rice base helps to soak up all that good juice too.
Max06
AG
I use the following cajun spice for it. Way better/less salty than Tony's. Cook the roast with spice, make the gravy & add more spice as needed. Let it marinate for a while to soak up the flavor.

Cajun Spice

2 Tbs cayenne pepper
2 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs ground white pepper
1 Tbs ground black pepper
4 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs garlic powder
JYDog90
AG
Incredible gonna have to try this. Thanks for sharing.
farmer2010
AG
Doug Glatt said:

Damn this makes me miss that place...
+1
plowboy1065
S
Saved!
n_touch
Quote:

Cajun father in law makes something similar to this they call "rice and gravy"
Rice and gravy was a Sunday staple back at home. Either with pork chops, chicken, or pork roast. That andd stuffed potatoes. Was my comfort food and still is. Luckily my kids have taken to it the same way that I did so it is something we still have on a regular basis.

Edit: After writing this Sunday's menu is decided stuffed pork roast, stuffed potatoes, rice and gravy, and cream style corn.
Agz_2003
AG
Thanks for all of the recipes. Will have to try. Maybe I should start another thread for Hebert's beans and rice recipes
Goose83
AG
Wish I had their recipe for Jambalaya, as I believe that theirs was a regional variation that isn't very easy to find.
guyace
I miss their etouffee. Man, that was some good stuff.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Was just telling someone that yesterday, haven't found an etouffee I like as much as theirs.
AggieChemist
AG
F all of you. I now have teh sad. And teh hungry.
schmellba99
AG
Man, I miss walking the Ho Chi Min Trail and grabbing some Hebert's. They had some good etoufee and a very respectable gumbo.
Tanya 93
n_touch said:

Quote:

Cajun father in law makes something similar to this they call "rice and gravy"
Rice and gravy was a Sunday staple back at home. Either with pork chops, chicken, or pork roast. That andd stuffed potatoes. Was my comfort food and still is. Luckily my kids have taken to it the same way that I did so it is something we still have on a regular basis.

Edit: After writing this Sunday's menu is decided stuffed pork roast, stuffed potatoes, rice and gravy, and cream style corn.
What is a stuffed potato?
schmellba99
AG
I'm assuming it's a baked potato with pulled pork, brisket or pot roast stuffing to go along with the standard fare of lots of butter, cheese, sour cream, etc.

A stuffed spud makes a fine meal.
n_touch
Quote:

What is a stuffed potato?
Potato cored out and stuffed with mix of garlic, onion and Tony's. Sprinkle a little Tony's on the outside and brown the sides in hot oil. I always keep some of the core and cut it to help keep the stuffing in while they are cooking. Add a little water, any left over garlic, onion mixture and simmer on low till they cook through. Here are a few pics from Sunday's meal. The pork roast is stuffed with the same mixture. Sprinkle outside of roast with Tony's and brown on high on all sides and then in the over at 350 until done. I pull out the oil after browning and then brown a little more just to get it darker. This is what will make the grav, it will not be a thick gravy.. Add water and the left over garlic mixture and any more onions if you would like. Serve over rice. I just had not made it back to the thread yet.

OldArmyAggie94
AG
Made it it was awesome

Also made some red beans and rice. Far to Midland RB& Rice
ChampsAg
Made the roast yesterday. Put it in the crock pot instead of the oven. Kids loved it as did the wife and I.
JYDog90
AG
So did you just throw everything in the crockpot? Set it and forget it? That's what I'm shooting for.
ChampsAg
I followed all the directions up to the point of putting it in the oven. Would probably put it in the crock pot 4 hours instead of 5 next time
jeffdjohnson
JFS61 said:

Wish I had their recipe for Jambalaya, as I believe that theirs was a regional variation that isn't very easy to find.

I forgot about Hebert's Jambalaya until this thread. It's the only "dark" jambalaya that I remember trying. It was damn good. According to this picture it looks like they used Rotel.

Here is the only picture I could find of it.

Maybe make a dark roux. Use the spices listed above. Rotel. Sausage. Chicken thighs. Chicken stock or beef broth. Let it simmer then serve over white rice. I think this calls for an experiment.
rhoswen
AG
willie wonka said:

So did you just throw everything in the crockpot? Set it and forget it? That's what I'm shooting for.

That's what I do. I prep everything the night before and pile it all in Tupper ware overnight. Then in the morning put the roast in the crock pot, dump the tupperware, add the stock, set it on low and go to work. The meat this last time was tougher than I loke, but I think that's the cut of meat I'm buying.
JYDog90
AG
Did you brown the roast before putting it in the crockpot or just throw it all in?
Bruce Almighty
AG
You should always brown the meat before putting it in the crock pot.
Tailgate88
AG
Correct. Always brown it first.
Mule_lx
AG
Anyone have a rice and gravy recipe?
rhoswen
AG
I actually didn't. WOOO
Tailgate88
AG
OldArmyAggie94 said:

Made it it was awesome

Also made some red beans and rice. Far to Midland RB& Rice

Here is my go to for Red Beans. Simple and delicious. I use Tony's for the spice and often sub smoked deer sausage for andouille.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html
Post removed:
by user
JYDog90
AG
I made it a couple of weeks ago and it was great but I'm still looking
I Like Turtles
AG
I was just thinking about this today... Any new ideas?
texas.aggie.2010
Any luck on recreating the heberts pot roast?
Agz_2003
AG
No luck.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.