Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Vegetarian soup recipes?

1,999 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aznaggiegirl07
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have a good vegetarian soup recipe? I've got a friend that's vegan, so I was looking for something for them and thinking some sort of lentil soup. I can probably add some chicken to a separate batch for everyone else without much difficulty.

Thanks
Tanya 93
why lentil?
Ag MD 84
AG
A lot of tomato soups can be made vegetarian--- vegan is more problematic however.
HTownAg98
Any soup that calls for stock can be made with water. In fact, you're often better off using water. Look up some classic French soups like pistou.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
why lentil?

I figure he could use some more protein in his diet, and I could probably use more fiber.
HTownAg98
Lentils are a good choice.
Vernada
AG
Chickpeas might be another option. I used to make a simple soup and puree chickpeas to make it a little more hearty.
Tanya 93
I have a black bean recipe (You can use water or veggie or mushroom stock instead of the chicken) and a curried lentil soup (you can also make it with chickpeas because that is what I had in the pantry).

Do you want them? I know my reputation about food on this site, but I really do know how to make great vegan/vegetarian meals.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Chipotle sweet potato soup

The recipe calls for either chicken or vegetable broth. I've only made it with chicken, but I'm sure vegetable would be fine. The soup is really good. It also calls for sour cream and pecans cooked in butter, but both are served on the side.
bigtruckguy3500
Both sound good. I like black beans a lot. Not sure I'm familiar with your reputation about food.

My mom is also vegetarian, so being able to cook something new for her is always good.
Tanya 93
quote:
Both sound good. I like black beans a lot. Not sure I'm familiar with your reputation about food.

My mom is also vegetarian, so being able to cook something new for her is always good.

I hate a lot of things most people love: bacon, steak, mashed potatoes, ranch, watermelon, pecans...

So they love to remind me how I don't like anything good and live off rabbit food when I should be eating the rabbit.

They are on my computer at home, so I will get them posted tonight after Benny's bedtime.
rhoswen
AG
Roasted cauliflower & carrot soup
quote:
Ingredients:
1/2 pound cauliflower, cleaned, cut into large florets
1/2 pound carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup of celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, cut into large dice
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon palm sugar
1/2 quart vegetable broth
1/2 cup evaporated milk
salt and ground pepper to taste

Method:

To start making Roasted Cauliflower and Carrot Creamy Vegetable Soup, preheat the oven to 400'F. Cover the baking tray with foil paper. Toss the cauliflower and carrot with olive oil, generous amount of salt and pepper along with palm sugar. Spread out on the prepared baking tray and roast them until golden brown turning once. This might take 25 to 30 minutes. Once ready keep aside.
Meanwhile heat the butter in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the ground cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, roasted vegetables and cook for couple of minutes.
Add the broth and bring to boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Work in batches, transfer the vegetable mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth.
Return to the soup pot and stir in the evaporated milk. Add water if necessary to thin the consistency of the soup. Check for salt and pepper. Heat through and serve hot.

Potato & Corn chowder
quote:

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped
5 1/2 cups water
6 bullion cubes
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups frozen corn
1 to 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
black pepper, to taste
fresh parsley for garnish
Instructions
Melt the butter in a large saucepan (or medium soup pot) and stir in onion and carrots.
Cook vegetables over medium heat for 9 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally in a partially covered pan.
Add the water, bullion cubes, corn, potato, and salt and bring the mixture to a low boil.
Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 7 minutes (until the potatoes are just tender).
Whisk together the cream and flour in a small bowl.
Stir the mixture into the soup and add pepper to taste.
Bring the soup back to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 8 minutes.
Serve hot, garnished with parsley. (and then refrigerate and enjoy leftovers for the rest of the week!)

And this one is my absolute favorite... butternut squash soup
quote:
Ingredients
2 large roasted butternut squashes
1 pint of half and half
stick of butter (browned)
2 tbsp of oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of chicken stock
Creme fraiche to garnish
Instructions
Cut the squash in half
Lightly coat it with oil, salt and pepper
Roast the squash for an hour or until tender
Scoop out the squash, put it into a blender or food processor add the half and half and the chicken stock.
Blend well and then place into a pot on medium heat.
Add browned butter (simply brown butter in a small pan) oil, salt and pepper and stir and cook on low for a few minutes.
Garnish with creme fraiche.

Some of these have chicken stock - just use vegetable stock.

Dairy can be substituted or just left out altogether.
Max Power
AG
I don't have a formal recipe but every once in a while I make vegetarian chili that is pretty solid, gasp. Plenty of decent potato soup recipes out there, corn chowder with poblano too. If they are full blown vegan I can't help you.
girlgolfer12
Chocolate chipotle chili
2 cans of beans (I like black and light kidney beans)
cup of dark chocolate, minimum 60%cocoa (I use the dove bars they come three in the big pack and I use 1 bars)
yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 6oz can tomato pasta
28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 red and/or green pepper, chopped
1 can of corn
1 T of cumin
2 T of dried oregano
2 bay leaves
2 T parsley, chopped
2 T cilantro, chopped
2 jalapenos peppers, chopped (if you want spicy)
1 T of chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp of cayenne pepper (more if you want spicier)
2 -4 chipotle peppers with adobe sauce(depends on how spicy you want)

Heat 3 T olive oil to medium in a large stock pot. Add onions, bell peppers , jalapeno peppers and garlic and cook until glossy a few minutes. Add cumin, oregano, chili powder, bay leaves and parsley. Stir to coat. Add tomato pasta and stir to make a pasta. Let heat through for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients( rinse and drain beans), except chocolate, and bring to a boil. When boiling, add chocolate and stir well to mix. Lower heat to medium low, and simmer covered, 25minutes checking consistency periodically, adding water as needed.
Tanya 93
  • 1 pound dry black beans
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 jalapeos, seeds removed and finely chopped
  • 1 cup salsa or diced tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic, about 4 cloves
  • 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  • teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (decrease or omit for a milder soup)
  • teaspoon paprika
  • Avocado and cilantro for topping, if desired
Instructions
[ol]
  • In a large bowl, place beans. Fill with water about 1 inch over the beans. Let them soak overnight.
  • Drain and rinse the beans.
  • In the bowl of a slow cooker, place beans, broth, onion, pepper, jalapeos, salsa, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika. Stir to combine.
  • Cook on high for 6 hours, until beans are completely cooked.
  • When the soup is done, you can either leave it as is, process or blend half the soup until smooth and return it to the pot, or process or blend all of the soup until smooth.
  • Serve warm; top with avocado and cilantro.
  • [/ol]

Tanya 93

• 1 tablespoon canola oil
    • 1 large onion,chopped
    • 3 cloves garlic,minced
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    • 1 jalapeo pepper, seeded and minced
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
    • 1 teaspoons cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and picked over (see Note)
    • 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
    • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 2 tablespoons mango chutney
    • Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
    • 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    Preparation
    • Active
      25 m
    • Ready In
      1 h 5 m
    [ol]
  • Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes more.
  • Stir in lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
  • Discard bay leaves. Stir in cilantro (or parsley) and lemon juice. Season with pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with yogurt and chutney (if using).
  • [/ol]
    Hodor
    AG
    Butternut squash soups are easy to make vegan.
    Here Is one I've made and like:

Creamless Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/fabios-creamless-creamy-squash-soup-104547/amp

bigtruckguy3500
    Thanks for the suggestions. Going to go grocery shopping tonight/tomorrow will see what ingredients I can get to play with.
    brotheraggie
    Go to www.flavormosaic.com for great recipes
    BackwardsInBoots
    AG
    This is really good - sub the yogurt for something vegan (soy milk/soy yogurt) and it would work.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/22956/roasted-and-curried-butternut-squash-soup/?lnkid=usspnt
    K2T2
    Actual vegan here, try any of the soups over at Minimalist Baker, Oh, She Glows, Hot for Food, Thug Kitchen, or anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (check out previews of her newest book, Isa Does It, for some more soups, that book is killer).

Basics: thicken soups with fatty coconut milk, or puree part of the soup or a complimentary veggie and put it back in. Veggie fats like your favorite oils and Earth Balance are great subs for butter at any level of soup making. Don't use water, just buy vegetable broth or vegan bullion cubes like you would with any soup. You want this to be tasty for everyone, right? And don't forget to check that any bread (french/baguette, sourdough are safe, eggy things like brioche and challah aren't) or dippy thing you pair with is it vegan! Your vegan friend will thank you so much!

One of favorite soups to make is tomato soup, which is super easy. Take your favorite base tomato soup recipe and rather than adding cream, add fatty coconut milk or a vegan creamer that's not sweet or flavored (no vanilla hazelnut tomato soup!).

I dunno about other vegetarians/vegans, but I could NEVER get French Onion soup anywhere. Just use Earth Balance or even just your favorite oil and vegan friendly beef broth cubes (Kroger has some awesome ones in the natural section by a brand called Edward's and Sons I think). Bonus if you make your own big toasts and grab them a slice of vegan cheese to broil on top.

Tortilla soup is also super easy, and you can separate a big portion out for your friend and then put chicken in the rest so it gets the tasty flavors. Just remember to use veggie broth and vegan friendly fats. Ingredients will say contains milk and egg in the allergens, but also watch out for anchovies and honey.

Basically, you don't NEED to do lentil soup (but if you do, Minimalist Baker has a killer red lentil curry), and don't think of vegan as having to be healthy and for rabbits. Find a soup recipe that sounds awesome to you, and just swap out the broths and fats for vegan ones, and toss in any meat you think you need at the end after separating out the vegan portion.
    K2T2
    quote:
    quote:
    why lentil?

I figure he could use some more protein in his diet, and I could probably use more fiber.
    Also, do not assume this about vegans. Your friend hates that you're assuming this, I hate that you're assuming this. It just sort of shows how ignorant people are of what's in the foods they eat, as well as about what vegans eat on a regular basis. I can eat a small seitan patty and get half my protein for the day right there. Hail seitan! If this is not a dinner that's based around health, throw it out the window and make something tasty.
    BackwardsInBoots
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    why lentil?

Also, do not assume this about vegans. Your friend hates that you're assuming this, I hate that you're assuming this. It just sort of shows how ignorant people are of what's in the foods they eat, as well as about what vegans eat on a regular basis. I can eat a small seitan patty and get half my protein for the day right there. Hail seitan! If this is not a dinner that's based around health, throw it out the window and make something tasty.

As a vegetarian, this.

Lentils can be delicious. But assuming vegetarians/vegans need more protein/only eat salads/etc. Is silly.
    bigtruckguy3500
    Fair enough, however this kid can definitely use the protein (and anything healthy for that matter). His idea of vegan doesn't include vegetables, unless you count potato chips and the tomatoes in spaghetti sauce.

Also, thanks for all the other tips and substitutions and stuff.
    BackwardsInBoots
    AG
    quote:
    Fair enough, however this kid can definitely use the protein (and anything healthy for that matter). His idea of vegan doesn't include vegetables, unless you count potato chips and the tomatoes in spaghetti sauce.

Good luck! Hopefully the person you are cooking for figures out healthy vegetarian/vegan food. Vitamins and minerals are kind of important.
    K2T2
    Quote:

Ha, that sounds like my (edit: 37 year old) brother - omni, but, his veggies are fries, ketchup, and the [nonexistent] fruit in Gatorade. When he was little, and asked what his favorite vegetable was, he'd say bread.

Your friend should check out the vegan or plant-based subs on Reddit! I'm guessing he's an ethical vegan as opposed to someone who's done it for health reasons, ha! Lots of good info as far as how to be a lazy vegan and still get good nutrients (aka break away from being a bread and pasta vegan and how to not fall victim to feeling crappy as a vegan because your diet is spicy sweet Doritos and Oreos).

Good luck with the soup, it's totally soup weather here in Aggieland right now!
    TennAg
    K2T2 said:

Quote:

Quote:

why lentil?

So you assumed he was assuming? It's just food, let's cut the hysterics a bit please.
    K2T2
    TennAg said:

K2T2 said:

Quote:

Quote:

why lentil?

So you assumed he was assuming? It's just food, let's cut the hysterics a bit please.
    I think you need to reacquaint yourself with what hysterics means.
    aznaggiegirl07
    AG
    bigtruckguy3500 said:

Quote:

why lentil?

did he tell you about his poo-ing habits? or lack of...? jkjk
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.