Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Competition BBQ Questions

6,237 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Blue Smoke
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've cooked in two now in the last couple months, including one this past weekend in Sanger where we place 4th overall. When we cooked for the first one and thought we nailed everything and then didn't get called on anything, we did some research and got really good at the brisket and chicken (4th and 5th respectively this past weekend). Couple questions:

Ribs: Does anyone have a competition "glaze" they've used that's been successful? If not, do you have a source for one? The google searches provide very wide opinions. I've seen anything from mixing corn syrup with spices to mixing rib dripping from foil with bbq sauce and adding at the end. We tried this last weekend but there wasn't the "shine" that we apparently needed (according to another cooker).

Beans: We made some badass beans a couple months ago and thought we were going to win only to not be in the top 15. This past weekend we were next to a guy that said he placed in every competition he's been in and he placed 2nd this time too. His beans were so salty and nasty I couldn't eat them. Anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share?

One thing I've learned and I'm really surprised about is the differnece in taste between backyard bbq and competition. Competition stuff is so salty. Everyone injects their brisket flats with very salty injections. Beans are all salty. Ribs are very complex with salty, sweet, spicy, etc. It's a blast but very confusing trying to figure out what the judges want. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: We'll be at the Carrollton cookoff next weekend if anyone else is either going or cooking and looking for food/booze.

EDIT: After posting this I saw how long. TLDR: I like to cook and I want to beat people's asses, but I don't know how.
HTownAg98
It would seem the answer is to make everything saltier. If you've got a bunch of old farts judging this makes sense. Older people have fewer taste buds, and so their taste is likely very different from yours.
dahouse
AG
Different cook-offs have different styles. The HLSR cook-off prefers sweeter meats, everywhere we cook wants them with more salt/savory flavor.

We've done way better with non-injected brisket. Just good ol' salt and pepper mixed with pecan smoke.

We suck at chicken. They taste awesome, but don't place. Won 2nd at a small coo-off, one time.

Here's my rib glaze, placed 3rd out of 208 teams at Czilispiel a few years ago. Quite a few 1st place at smaller competitions.

Quantities are approximate:

2 Cup of ketchup
12oz or so dark beer
prob 1/4-1/2 c worcestire
healthy addition spicy mustard
4-8oz raspberry vinaigrette
half stick butter
3-6 tbsp brown sugar
prob 1/4-1/2 c honey
hot sauce to taste, we like it spicy, so I add more at the end because it seems to cook out.
Cayenne powder (optional)

Stir all this together in a pot and simmer it until it reduces to a dark red, thick sauce. Crank the heat to 350ish and start glazing. We do 15 mins per side for 4-6 rotations. This will do 2 or 3 racks.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
2 Cup of ketchup
12oz or so dark beer
prob 1/4-1/2 c worcestire
healthy addition spicy mustard
4-8oz raspberry vinaigrette
half stick butter
3-6 tbsp brown sugar
prob 1/4-1/2 c honey
hot sauce to taste, we like it spicy, so I add more at the end because it seems to cook out.
Cayenne powder (optional)

Stir all this together in a pot and simmer it until it reduces to a dark red, thick sauce. Crank the heat to 350ish and start glazing. We do 15 mins per side for 4-6 rotations. This will do 2 or 3 racks.
Damn. Was hoping for something easier. Ha. Is it the honey that gives it the "shine" of a glaze? Thank you!

By the way, these are IBCA competitions. From what I hear they like the salty/savory. Is this glaze really sweet? Thanks again.
dahouse
AG
Brown sugar, honey, butter, and the sugars in the vinaigrette all glaze under heat, even the ketchup has sugar I'm sure.

It's a little sweet and a little hot. Adjust ingredients to your taste or the audience tastes. Usually, we have a good salty rub that complements the glaze. It's really not that difficult, just dump it in a pot and cook it for 30-45 minutes.

I've seen a bunch of different techniques.

Pineapple juice and worcestire

Jalapeno jelly, teriyaki, soy, and red pepper

BBQ sauce straight from the bottle (sweet baby rays, kc masterpiece, etc.)

Cody
dahouse
AG
I'm sure you've heard this already, but when you cut the ribs to turn in, use the ones in the middle of the rack, and cut close to the bone on either side. You'll need 2 racks to get the 7 or 8 ribs, but they look meatier that way.

We've always turned in the brisket flat slices, but I like the point better. Haven't figured out what everyone else does yet
Cody
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I'm sure you've heard this already, but when you cut the ribs to turn in, use the ones in the middle of the rack, and cut close to the bone on either side. You'll need 2 racks to get the 7 or 8 ribs, but they look meatier that way.
I didn't think about only having meat on one side of the bone. Judges don't care? Makes sense though. Another guy nearby told us that when putting the ribs on the smoker to push them together (like an accordian I guess) rather than spreading them out and when they cook they will thicken up. Going to try that this weekend. His were definitely thicker than ours.
quote:
We've always turned in the brisket flat slices, but I like the point better. Haven't figured out what everyone else does yet
I love the point as well but I've heard that you always turn in the flat. Not sure why. Glad more people are getting into eating the point these days. Really good when cooked properly!

Here's the flat from last weekend. Needed to take a tiny bit more fat off a few of the areas but it was raining and dark when I was prepping...and had a few too many beers!
dahouse
AG
The way I was describing cutting the ribs leaves more meat on both sides of bone, but, the ribs on either side are ruined, so you have to skip those. Hope that makes sense.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
The way I was describing cutting the ribs leaves more meat on both sides of bone, but, the ribs on either side are ruined, so you have to skip those. Hope that makes sense.
Ahh. I understand. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the information.
BurnetAggie99
These guys are friends of mine and they make great stuff. Had great success out in the circuit with their rubs and glazes.

https://squareup.com/store/txss
FIDO*98*
AG
Things that will help make your glaze shiny are corn syrup, a little cornstarch (or arrowroot), and fat (drippings, butter, or oil) .

I'll never do another BBQ competition unless the judging is blindfolded. The only thing that I care about is taste
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks BurnetAggie. Checking them out now.
quote:
I'll never do another BBQ competition unless the judging is blindfolded. The only thing that I care about is taste
Totally agree. Taste should be at least 90% of the judging IMO. 10% for appearance just so it doesn't look like crap!
dahouse
AG
IBCA is probably the most "taste centered" judging out of the sabctioning bodies. They don't allow garnishes or anything. Just meat in the box.

We used to cook in a non-sanctioned cook-off in Frydek, and I believe Sealybration and the Festival of Lights are non-sanctioned as well.

I've had the best brisket I've ever cooked not place, and I've had one that I figured was crap make the podium. Never know.
Cody
BurnetAggie99
Let me know if you got any questions on the different rubs and glazes.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks. Just prepped 4 racks of ribs and a brisket. Going to try your glaze tomorrow. Will report back. Thanks again.
agcrock2005
AG
I had about 25 people over this weekend for a BBQ and had a blind taste test with the ribs I made for the competition a couple weeks ago and the same ribs using the glaze from dahouse mentioned above. Dahouse glaze won about 75% of the vote. I'll be using it this weekend. Was very good. I'll add some additional cayenne this time but that's only change I'll make. Very good flavor. Thanks for sharing!
BurnetAggie99
Here's what I normally do if I don't use Swine Shine Rib glaze. I had a lot of success on the circuit and also at home doing this on Pork Ribs using the 3-2-1 Method.

On the last hour right before you wrap, I would apply 2 ounces of Texas honey, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2" wide strip of Tiger Sauce. Then lay the ribs meat side down and do the samething on meat side. Then wrap and put back on smoker for hour.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
On the last hour right before you wrap, I would apply 2 ounces of Texas honey, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2" wide strip of Tiger Sauce. Then lay the ribs meat side down and do the samething on meat side. Then wrap and put back on smoker for hour.
I add almost the exact ingredients. I add squeeze butter, honey, brown sugar and tiger sauce when I wrap. Why do you do before wrapping? When you wrap, do you add any liquid to tender them up?
BurnetAggie99
It's when I wrap. I just pull the ribs off and when I get my foil ready and that's when I'll do this. I used squeeze butter but later switched to real butter.

I'll sometimes add some cherry preserves or apricot as well just depending on how I feel.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
It's when I wrap. I just pull the ribs off and when I get my foil ready and that's when I'll do this. I used squeeze butter but later switched to real butter.
For flavor, or just because the thought of squeeze butter makes you nauseous??? I hate the idea of using it but that's what a lot of the best BBQ folks use so I started doing it a couple years ago.
BurnetAggie99
I Iike the real butter's flavor over margarine plus real butter is better quality. My opinion is real butter gives better flavor.
dahouse
AG
quote:
I had about 25 people over this weekend for a BBQ and had a blind taste test with the ribs I made for the competition a couple weeks ago and the same ribs using the glaze from dahouse mentioned above. Dahouse glaze won about 75% of the vote. I'll be using it this weekend. Was very good. I'll add some additional cayenne this time but that's only change I'll make. Very good flavor. Thanks for sharing!
Cody
agcrock2005
Duncan Idaho
This thread is why I have never been too interested in doing competitive BBQ.
BurnetAggie99
It's fun cooking Comp BBQ if you just know that sometimes you might not ever win. I do it cause I get to spend time with friends and get to cook more BBQ. You also get to meet some neat people on the circuit.

I have a buddy and he takes it to serious and doesn't have fun with it. I tell people have fun, cook and let the chips fall were they may.
Duncan Idaho
Yeah I guess you are right. Use it as an excuse to hang out with friend and drink.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
This thread is why I have never been too interested in doing competitive BBQ.

It's really a blast. Hell, I get to BBQ and drink booze with some really close buddies and not worry about anything but cooking. I was surprised at how much fun it really is.
Blue Smoke
I was doing comps starting in 2011 and was really hitting good. Flavors have changed and they are even glazing and saucing brisket now. It has become more of Vaults and Pellet cookers rather than a man and a stick burner. Guess I am just too old to buy every gadget to control draft and fire and cook like Ronco just set it and forget it. Somewhere along the way we have lost just a Man with Sticks and a Fire. I do mainly private events for people on weekends and never am lacking for making some walking around money!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.