Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anybody know anything about kitchen knives?

2,975 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
barnag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I need a good set. For preparing/cutting/eating steak/venison/chicken/etc.
HTownAg98
Go somewhere where you can put a knife in your hand and see how it feels. That's more important than the brand of the knife.
Vernada
AG
Click over to page 2. There's a knife thread there with 41 comments to peruse.
Texker
AG
https://www.warthercutlery.com/

We've owned these for years. Made in Ohio.
CrawfordAg
AG
I have built a set of Victorinox knives; best bang for your buck and some of the sharpest knives I have worked with.
Slicer97
AG
Avoid stores like Williams Sonoma and find a good restaurant supply store.
HTownAg98
Williams Sonima is a good place to try out a knife. Just don't buy there.
Slicer97
AG
Yes, I should have said "avoid purchasing from" rather than just "avoid".
rononeill
the quality of steel is super important... you want it to be hard, but not brittle. Valyrian steel is what you really want, but it's pretty hard to find - and not cheap when you do...
Duncan Idaho
This is my goto chef. Hard to beat at $25. Kai is made by Kershaw who makes shun. It has kept a decent edge with regular honing.

http://home.woot.com/offers/kai-wasabi-knives-2?ref=ref%3Dcnt_wp_10_118
Joe Exotic
AG
Victorinox on Amazon. It's basically like having big razors in your kitchen.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
the quality of steel is super important... you want it to be hard, but not brittle. Valyrian steel is what you really want, but it's pretty hard to find - and not cheap when you do...
jcbaggie04
AG
Go to eBay. select vintage Chicago Cutlery. Find a knife set that you like. The best knife for the kitchen. I use them daily as well as the 102 steak knife set. My dad was in the meat business and used these knives exclusively daily. Very easy to keep an edge on with honing rod at a 42.5 degree angle.
jcbaggie04
AG
Buy the older knives that are numbered 44S. 42S, 102S, etc.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Kershaw doesn't suck, but not for me....(I have owned a few said knife) the back of the blade is cut at a 90 degree angle, super uncomfortable TO ME. Takes an edge well, lasts for about 30 min. That all being said, great bang for your buck.

Victornox, is an AceMart special, which is good for a pan, but bad for a knife. Holds an edge great, near impossible to set one, TO ME.

Global and Shuns have lead industry for some time. Hard to argue with those who use the tool, all day every day.

I, PERSONALLY, lean towards Shuns, and am on my 4th Chefs Knife. Really hard to beat for the money. If I drop it I fix it. No real need to cry. If I can't......well it was only $150 bucks. Holds edge great, takes an edge ok. The only reason I'm on #4 is because of employees.......and murder isn't a real option.....

That being said, I just ordered a new Japanese blade, and am on a forge list for an American blade (that is 36 months long.....) neither is over $500. Just about my personal cap.

The MOST important thing is how it feels to YOU. At the end of the day, it is just a tool. If you have no confidence when you pick it up, well then your going to hurt yourself.

And for the love of Pete, keep it sharp. NO knife will EVER be sharp forever... You are a complete idiot if believe it can. Learn how/when to hone and learn how to sharpen.

bonfirewillburn
AG
I'll bite, why is Wiliam Sonoma so bad?

I would challenge the going to a restaurant supply for a knife.
BSD
AG
quote:
That being said, I just ordered a new Japanese blade, and am on a forge list for an American blade (that is 36 months long.....) neither is over $500. Just about my personal cap.

We are nearing the end of our wait list at HHH Custom knives. We are getting two chefs knives. I'm hoping to have them by Christmas. They should be pretty sweet.

quote:
Learn how/when to hone and learn how to sharpen.

I have some sharpening stones so I just need to each videos to learn the process. I've always had someone sharpen mine but it's time I become a man.
Duncan Idaho
Don't you keep your blades at some crazy angle? Like 10 or something?

I think the big reason people recommend the ace Mart specials is because they are good enough to use, keep an edge long enough to be a value and are cheap enough to just throw away when they are dull.

I usually replace my parents knifes when I go to thier place just because it is easier and I know I will have a sharp knife when I get there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.