Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Convince me to buy a pasta maker

3,596 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FCBlitz
kurt vonnegut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Making my own pasta looks like it would be a lot of fun. . . . Anyone have experience making their own? Anything in particular I should look for in a pasta maker in your opinion?
bonfirewillburn
AG
If you have the rig get the kitchen aid set up. $150, works great. If you get really serious you can drop more than 2k in a machine ( I am actually considering, this.....)

Atlas makes a decent hand cranked model if you "try it out" (around $50) but freeing up a second hand when rolling, due to the motor, really helps.

Pasta has a pretty big learning curve, but once you get down the process the variations are endless. not to mention a lot of fun. Pasta is one of my favorite things to make.

General Tips:

High Gluten Flour
best eggs you can find
salt your water heavily
finish your pasta in the sauce utilizing the pasta water if you sauce reduces too far
Pasta is about the pasta, the sauce is just a garnish

have fun!
_______________________________________________________ Bacon: The duct tape of the kitchen.
FIDO*98*
AG
I'm perfectly happy with my kitchenaid pasta maker so I don't think I'd break the bank on one. My mom has a hand crank machine that is way too much effort.

My favorite thing to make is lasagna noodles. Store bought lasagna sheets are always way too thick and the no-boil sheets texture is turrible. Lots of fun to make interesting raviolis too.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Good tips. Much obliged.
aggiebq03+
How can you tell the eggs are good enough?
bonfirewillburn
AG
Find someone that lets the chickens be chickens. They are designed to run around and hunt bugs. Besides their eggs it's about the only thing these aweful creatures are good at.

But crack one open, it'll likely be difficult. Then if the yolk looks like it came from HEB your pasta will not turn out as good. If the yolk looks off (and it's a dang shame that this has become the norm) and orange, well you are starting out with a better product. Don't mess it up
bonfirewillburn
AG
That all being said, you can make damn fine pasta from commercial eggs.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
If you have the rig get the kitchen aid set up. $150, works great. If you get really serious you can drop more than 2k in a machine ( I am actually considering, this.....)

Atlas makes a decent hand cranked model if you "try it out" (around $50) but freeing up a second hand when rolling, due to the motor, really helps.

Pasta has a pretty big learning curve, but once you get down the process the variations are endless. not to mention a lot of fun. Pasta is one of my favorite things to make.

General Tips:

High Gluten Flour
best eggs you can find
salt your water heavily
finish your pasta in the sauce utilizing the pasta water if you sauce reduces too far
Pasta is about the pasta, the sauce is just a garnish

have fun!

lol
HTownAg98
3 ounces of flour to two ounces of egg (a large egg is about two ounces) per serving is a good starting point. It gives you a slightly wetter dough, but it's always easier to work in more flour if you need to.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
How can you tell the eggs are good enough?

We got about 10 laying hens a year ago. The yolks are a deep orange compared to store bought eggs. Way better.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Any strong opinions on making your own pasta dough vs using a machine like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00REJMIJ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1473530213&sr=8-15-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pasta+maker+motorized&psc=1
bonfirewillburn
AG
Might work, but I challenge the ability to produce a decent product. no resting, no folding to layer the gluten.

sheet pasta out of an extruder? Never seen that!

You will not develope all that toothsome-ness that you are looking for when making fresh pasta.
kurt vonnegut
AG
That's my concern too. It has some good reviews, but it seems very possible those reviews are coming from those with store bought pasta as a reference. I think I'll end up going the route of making my own dough - I like the process of cooking.
Red Krow
I've made my own fettuccine ish pasta two or three times. The last time was about 2 years ago. My family especially my kids still ask for me to make it again. They loved it! We have the Kitchen aid attachment, got it as a wedding present 11 years ago. This reminds me I should make some again.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I just got the Marcato Atlas 150 that bonfire recommended, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Very excited. Will report and post pictures when I get a chance to try it.
Hodor
AG
I have the kitchenaid attachments, and love the quality of fresh made pasta!

I've mainly used it for ravioli and fettuccine... the thinner stuff is more difficult to me.

One thing that I wasn't expecting was how much time it takes to make the pasta. It's a labor intensive project for me, which may just be a matter of experience. When I have time, though, it's definitely worth it!

I make a god awful mess when I do it, though!
kurt vonnegut
AG
Need to play around with the proportions with the dough, but first try was a success.

bonfirewillburn
AG
Nice!

But you bought a burnt orange machine.......
kurt vonnegut
AG
'Copper' finish. It does look a bit burnt orangish.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Twilight Zone.

My first attempt was over the weekend. We made the exact same meal, we have the same pasta drying rack, and we have nearly identical counter tops.

kurt vonnegut
AG
Are we culinary doppelgngers?
FCBlitz
I know what I am going to do this weekend. Dammit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.