Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Training yourself to like a food

5,037 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tanya 93
Whoop04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am an adventurous eater, and there is almost nothing I dislike...except olives! I can handle a black olive because they are so mild, but green olives are repulsive to me. I hate not being able to enjoy otherwise fantastic food if it includes olives and want to train myself to if not like, then at least tolerate them. I assume I can train myself over time and am curious if anyone here has done so with any food and how.
Duncan Idaho
Nothing to but I am the complete opposite with regards to olives...those black ones are terrible BECAUSE they are so mild.
jetch17
AG
Olives are ass.
jeffdjohnson
I didn't really like raw tomatoes as a kid. I didn't hate them but wouldn't eat them unless they were in sauce form (marinara, ketchup, etc...). As an adult I forced myself to eat them and quickly grew to appreciate them. I tried the same approach with raw onions and realized that some things aren't meant to be.
Represent830
AG
Olives are awful.
NColoradoAG
Olives
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Olives
La Fours
AG
quote:
Olives are ass.
This, but olive juice/brine is delicious. I love a good dirty martini. The fruit itself terrible.
Max06
AG
Do you dislike the texture, or the flavor? If it's the flavor, you may not be too successful in changing your tastes.

There are also a lot of different kinds of olives. Kalmata are a lot different than black or green olives- so are green olives stuffed with goat cheese.

If it's a texture thing, try something like a mufflata that uses olive salad (finely minced olives), instead of whole or sliced olives.

I have no other advice. I love olives. always have. I can eat a whole damn can/bottle of them in a sitting.
Whoop04
It's the disgusting flavor I don't like.
Brad_97
AG
I didn't use to like olives but have learned to like them recently.

I think was two things
1) eating a lot of vinegary foods. Gets you used to the "tang"
2) start with the garlic and jalapeo stuffed ones from Costco. They'll help you ease into the taste and now I enjoy them. def green more than black. Is a texture issue for me as I like the firmer texture of the green.
rilloaggie
AG
Grab some nicoise olives. Tiny ones but they have great flavor. Also, lots of grocery stores carry olive snack packs with different flavors. Thyme basil, chile oregano, lemon herb, etc. The packs are $1 at the HEB by my casa so you could try a bunch of flavors and find ones you like. I'm an olive fan!
ILikeTacos
AG
I have changed a lot of my tastes as I get older but still to this day cannot eat raw onion. And I cook with onion almost every day, but raw I just can't stand.

I also am not an olive fan but can handle them finely minced.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Mushrooms are about the only normal food I cannot eat. I've tried many kinds including shaved truffle and just can't do it.
HTownAg98
Try castelvetrano olives. They are meaty and have a buttery almost sweet taste. They are excellent.
Tanya 93
Yeah, I am not even going to start on the list of foods.
E King Trill
AG
They are ass, my dude
FtBendTxAg
AG

Only foods I can't train myself to like are raw broc, cauliflower and mushrooms. But I love all 3 cooked without question.
biobioprof
OP... is this based on olives from the olive bar or the nasty things that come in cans and jars? Huge difference, IMO.
Whoop04
Don't know. One of my earliest memories is of eating a green olive and being totally repulsed. I have never tasted one since and had anything other than that same reaction. The exceptions is that I have been trying to eat black olives on things and they are mild enough that I think I can try another green one, until I do, then nearly gag.
Joe Exotic
AG
Nm
nai06
AG
Olive marinated in harissa are amazing!
Furlock Bones
AG
i still hate raw tomatoes. i love almost everything made out of tomatoes.
rausr
AG
Would agree with some of the others about paring the green olives with other foods that you like to ease your way into the taste.
Eventually you will associate the olive flavor with that of the other food(s) that you like and you will be on your way.

Perhaps start with vodka...
Max Power
AG
Can't do raw onions or sushi. Tried several times, love onions pretty much any other way than raw, just can't do raw at all. Tried sushi several times as well, not a fan. I love fish, just can't do it raw. Oddly enough I can do raw red meat, love a nice carpaccio.
AggieOO
quote:
i still hate raw tomatoes. i love almost everything made out of tomatoes.
this
SumAggie
Olives
Vodka
Tomato Juice
Hot Sauce!
SumAggie
quote:
Would agree with some of the others about paring the green olives with other foods that you like to ease your way into the taste.
Eventually you will associate the olive flavor with that of the other food(s) that you like and you will be on your way.

Perhaps start with vodka...

or "pairing" the olives
schmendeler
AG
I wish olives tasted like olive oil.
JSKolache
AG
Kalamatas are delish, but I still don't like black or green - purple all the way.

Only found 2 things I absolutely cannot stomach - coconut (texture - flavoring is OK) & sweet tea (just blech)
LondonAg89
AG
I trained myself to eat olives. I started doing blue cheese stuffed olives in martinis and then gradually was able up just eat olives just in time for a trip to Greece.
SECeded
Whoop04
The problem is that I think my dislike of olives is making me miss out on otherwise good food.
SECeded
Greener Acres
Not sure if this was mentioned or if you tried it, but many grocery stores have olive bars. You could grab one or two of each different type of green olive until you find one that doesn't make you gag.

I hated them until a few years ago and was in Spain on vacation when one appeared on my plate. I figured it was very Spanish to eat them and did - and ended up loving it. That was a Castelvetrano olive. They have them at my local grocery store so I eat them regularly now and they don't have the bite I was used to with other olives.

Just a thought. Though before I started liking them, I never would have done that assuming they all tasted bad.

Edited for this: Just learned those are Sicilian olives. Anyways, still good.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.