Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Do you wrap your meat?

3,537 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AustinAgChef
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When smoking brisket, do you wrap it in foil or not? Also, when purchasing, do you buy it trimmed or the untrimmed and why?
Tursiops93
AG
I wrap in butcher paper just as it comes out of the stall to keep the remaining moisture in. I prefer to trim it myself. Doesn't take that long and it much cheaper. The trimmed briskets always seem to have removed too much of the fat anyways.
Post removed:
by user
REMtx
I only wrap after it is done cooking and resting in a cooler. At first i used foil, but now use butcher paper.

I buy whole packer briskets from Costco and trim them myself. Most trimmed briskets at the grocery store have been trimmed too much.
Duncan Idaho
What kind of woman buys a trimmed brisket?
schmellba99
AG
I'll occasionally tent a brisket, but that's it. Only time I wrap it is when it goes into the ice chest for the rest. It gets foil or butcher paper, then it gets wrapped with a couple of big towels and put in the cooler for at least a half hour, 1 hour preferred.

Unless there is just some smoking deal on a trimmed brisket, prefer untrimmed so i can trim it myself.
Duncan Idaho
Plus trimming it yourself let's you make cracklin's by rendering out all of the trimmed off fat.
AustinAgChef
quote:
I never wrap. If I want to braise something, I'll do it in a pot on the stove.

Untrimmed meat. You can't put meat/fat back on, but you can always take more off.

I'd love to see you "braise" a brisket wrapped in butcher paper....would be a hell of a feat

Also, why would you want to not trim your brisket beforehand and instead trim it after cooking? That's a great way to cut off all of that beautiful bark that you just spent hours creating. Learning to properly trim a brisket is the way to go. Aaron Franklin has a great video on YouTube devoted to this.
Gator2_01
AG
But Aaron also wraps his brisket in butcher paper! That guy will never make it...
Tursiops93
AG
I never used to wrap brisket and after reading Franklin's book, it made sense to do it in butcher paper after the stall. Since the stall is where the moisture in the meat is evaporating (cooling process hence the temp not climbing), once the temp starts to climb again the wrapping saves what moisture if left as the collagen breaks down. The last 2 briskets I did this way and they turned out fantastic!

Great thing about BBQ'ing/smoking is there is no one way. Several different methods turn out great Q! Experiment and have fun with it!
80sGeorge
AG
Franklin did one show where they cooked 3 ways to test. Unwrapped was very smoky, foil wrapped was less smoky and more beefy, paper wrapped was a balance of the two extremes.
Mule_lx
AG
No, I'm married.
Hodor
AG
I don't wrap it at home, but always do when using a strange smoker.
JYDog90
AG
I cooked 4 briskets for a party Friday night and wrapped them in butcher paper and threw them in the cooler to rest for 4 hrs. I know the 4 hrs was a long time, I was surprised select briskets cooked at 45 mins/lb at 265* but we had chickens and sausage to cook as well, so it was alright.

The bad thing about resting in butcher paper is I feel like I lose some juice. They do keep their crust, but it seems like a tradeoff to me.
fido00
AG
Where do y'all buy the butcher paper?
JYDog90
AG
amazon. Search for pink or peach butcher paper. Comes in 2 widths, 12 and 18". I got the 18".
Sooner Born
I was cooking a brisket for some friends last weekend and on a whim, tried it with no wrap all the way through, something I haven't done in quite a while. It was moist and tender but way over smoked.
03_Aggie
quote:
I was cooking a brisket for some friends last weekend and on a whim, tried it with no wrap all the way through, something I haven't done in quite a while. It was moist and tender but way over smoked.

I thought brisket only really absorbed smoke during the first four hours or so? I ask because most seem to be wrapping well after and, if that's the case, would it really impact the "smokiness" of the brisket?
Sooner Born
The smoke will continue to adhere to the bark throughout the cook, there is no avoiding that unless you wrap it in something.
03_Aggie
Guess I'll have to try and wrap one and see how it goes. I've never really considered wrapping while cooking.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Where do y'all buy the butcher paper?
hobby lobby carries it.
Sooner Born
Fire was up to temp when the meat went on and I didn't add any coals after it started (WSM). Could have been a fluke but I'll definitely go back to wrapping when I normally do.
AustinAgChef
Well, the way your post is worded made it sound like you cook an un-trimmed brisket and then trim after cooking. My apologies for misinterpreting. As for braising something by simply wrapping in foil, you're wrong. Steam? Yes. Braise? No. Two different cooking methods.

But nice baseball analogy....swing and a miss for ya.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.