Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Meatloaf

4,334 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by biobioprof
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am too lazy to search, but Benny has decided he wants meatloaf and meatloaf sandwiches again. I am pretty sure I asked this before, but I figured I could actually make one instead of buying a meatloaf at Schnucks that I can bake at home.

Do I do a mix of beef and pork and lamb? Or something else? Do I basically make meatballs but make it in a loaf pan?

Do I add veggies? Top it with ketchup?

I tried making one for my Daddy and it didn't work. I did something wrong. And I used beef and pork for it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm on my phone and I suck at posting links, but look up serious eats best meat loaf recipe. It seriously is the best meat loaf ever.
FIDO*98*
AG
I may have to try the serious eats recommendation on gelatin to replace veal as ground veal is getting both expensive as heck lately and hard to find. Here's my recipe from a while back. You could easily do 1.25lb beef and .75lb ground pork.

quote:
FIDO*98*11:14a, 1/11/13
Heat oven to 400

Make a basic glaze with a cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 c cider vinegar. You can 'make it your own' by adding horseradish, sriracha, tobasco, worcestershire, chipolte puree, etc. Set aside

1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil; more as needed
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
4 clove chopped garlic
Some people like green bell pepper as well. I can take it or leave it, but, if your family likes it add a half of a diced green bell pepper at this stage
Sweat onion until tender and add garlic. Cook through, but, don't brown. Remove from heat and let cool

Make seasoned breadcrumbs by adding 1 bolillo roll in a food processor with a handful of parsley leaves and a couple sprigs of thyme stems removed. Process to medium to fine crumbs. Dump in a big bowl

add

3/4 lb. ground beef - I like 85/15 round
1/2 lb. ground veal
1/2 lb. ground pork
2 tsp Kosher salt and 1 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten +1 yolk
1/2 cup creme fraiche, heavy cream, or sour cream
1 Tbs worcestershire
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions - optional
1/2 cup grated carrot - optional

Mix well.

I prefer 'individual' meatloaves to making a whole big one. You get more of the crusty outside and most of the fat drains away. Just create about 4-5 1/2lb oval footballs and spread them apart on a sheet pan. You can wrap with bacon if desired

Glaze with a pastry brush and pop in the oven for 20mins. Re-glaze and put back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes

The same recipe takes 45 mins to an hour in a loaf pan

About a week ago my wife made meatloaf with Lipton Onion soup mix. It was absolutely awful. Take the time to use real ingredients in case you get tempted to take a shortcut
chipotle
quote:

Do I add veggies? Top it with ketchup?

I won't do that.
Tanya 93
quote:
I may have to try the serious eats recommendation on gelatin to replace veal as ground veal is getting both expensive as heck lately and hard to find. Here's my recipe from a while back. You could easily do 1.25lb beef and .75lb ground pork.

quote:
FIDO*98*11:14a, 1/11/13
Heat oven to 400

Make a basic glaze with a cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 c cider vinegar. You can 'make it your own' by adding horseradish, sriracha, tobasco, worcestershire, chipolte puree, etc. Set aside

1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil; more as needed
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
4 clove chopped garlic
Some people like green bell pepper as well. I can take it or leave it, but, if your family likes it add a half of a diced green bell pepper at this stage
Sweat onion until tender and add garlic. Cook through, but, don't brown. Remove from heat and let cool

Make seasoned breadcrumbs by adding 1 bolillo roll in a food processor with a handful of parsley leaves and a couple sprigs of thyme stems removed. Process to medium to fine crumbs. Dump in a big bowl

add

3/4 lb. ground beef - I like 85/15 round
1/2 lb. ground veal
1/2 lb. ground pork
2 tsp Kosher salt and 1 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten +1 yolk
1/2 cup creme fraiche, heavy cream, or sour cream
1 Tbs worcestershire
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions - optional
1/2 cup grated carrot - optional

Mix well.

I prefer 'individual' meatloaves to making a whole big one. You get more of the crusty outside and most of the fat drains away. Just create about 4-5 1/2lb oval footballs and spread them apart on a sheet pan. You can wrap with bacon if desired

Glaze with a pastry brush and pop in the oven for 20mins. Re-glaze and put back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes

The same recipe takes 45 mins to an hour in a loaf pan

About a week ago my wife made meatloaf with Lipton Onion soup mix. It was absolutely awful. Take the time to use real ingredients in case you get tempted to take a shortcut

Thank you.

I will try this recipe, but use red bell pepper instead of green, and if it is good, teach Benny how to make it. I have no problems learning recipes that he wants to try, but he needs to learn to make it if he wants it regularly.

Tanya 93
quote:
I'm on my phone and I suck at posting links, but look up serious eats best meat loaf recipe. It seriously is the best meat loaf ever.
I think I will have to try this one too and ask my guys which one is better, because I doubt I will eat either one. I'll just eat the sides.

• 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 ounce (2 packets; about 1 1/2 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
  • 2 slices high-quality white sandwich bread, crusts removed and torn into rough pieces
  • 4 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, cleaned
  • 3 anchovy filets
  • 1/2 teaspoon Marmite
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, roughly chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1 small onion, roughly chopped (about 3/4 cup)
  • 1 small carrot, peeled and roughly (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 12 ounces freshly ground pork (see note above)
  • 1 1/4 pounds freshly ground beef (see note above)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 ounces cheddar, provolone, Monterey Jack, or Muenster cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • For the Glaze:
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
[ol]
    Combine the chicken stock and buttermilk in a liquid measuring cup and sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the top. Set aside.
    Place the bread and mushrooms in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
    Add the anchovies, Marmite, soy sauce, paprika, and garlic to the processor bowl and pulse until reduced to a fine paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and pulse until finely chopped but not pureed.
    Heat the butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the chopped vegetable mixture and cook, stirring and tossing frequently, until it is softened and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes; the mixture should start to darken a bit. Stir in the buttermilk mixture, bring to a simmer, and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the mushrooms and bread, stir thoroughly to combine, and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
    Add the meat mixture to the bowl, along with the eggs, cheese, parsley, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. With clean hands, mix gently until everything is thoroughly combined and homogeneous; it will be fairly loose. Pull off a teaspoon-sized portion of the mixture, place it on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave it on high power until cooked through, about 15 seconds. Taste the cooked piece for seasoning and add more salt and/or pepper as desired.
    Transfer the mixture to a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan, being sure that no air bubbles get trapped underneath. (You may have some extra mix, depending on the capacity of your pan; this can be cooked in a ramekin or free-form next to the loaf.) Tear off a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil large enough to line a rimmed baking sheet and use it to tightly cover the meatloaf, crimping it around the edges of the pan. Refrigerate the meatloaf while the oven preheats. (The meatloaf can be refriger- ated for up to 2 days.)
    Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat the oven to 350F. When the oven is hot, remove the meatloaf from the refrigerator and, without removing the foil cover, carefully invert it onto the rimmed baking sheet. Loosen the foil and spread it out, leaving the pan on top of the meatloaf (see Note above). Fold up the edges of the foil to trap the liquid that escapes from the meatloaf while baking. Bake until just beginning to set (the top should feel firm to the touch), about 30 minutes.
    Use a thin metal spatula to lift an edge of the inverted loaf pan, jiggling it until it slides off the meatloaf easily, and use oven mitts or a folded kitchen towel to remove the pan, leaving the meatloaf on the center of the foil. Return to the oven and bake until the center of the meatloaf registers 140F on an instant-read thermometer, about 40 minutes longer. There will be quite a bit of exuded juices; this is OK. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 500F.
    Meanwhile, Make the Glaze: Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and pepper in a small saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until the sugar is melted and the mixture is homogeneous, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
    Use a brush to apply some glaze to the meatloaf in a thin, even layer, then return it to the oven and bake for 3 minutes. Glaze again and bake for 3 minutes longer. Glaze one more time and bake until the glaze is beginning to bubble and is a deep burnished brown, about 4 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Slice and serve with any extra glaze and mustard or ketchup as desired.
  • [/ol]

I will hit the Farmer's market this Saturday for ground beef and pork and buttermilk and the veggies.

Someone is going to be so happy on Sunday when he gets meatloaf
    BlueMiles
    AG
    I made the 1/11/13 FIDO recipe today will red bell peppers, no veal. Very good! Thanks for the recipe.
    Tailgate88
    AG
    Holy crap y'all eat complicated meatloaf. Looks good though. I will try it when it gets a little colder this fall.
    Max Power
    AG
    My wife made her standard meatloaf last night, but I made a glaze similar to the one above, except I used balsamic instead of cider vinegar. Good stuff.
    wurmhole
    AG
    We have done the Serious Eats meatloaf a few times and love it. His recipes get cheaper once you have most of his common ingredients like marmite, anchovy, fish sauce etc.
    62strat
    AG
    I don't have anything to add other than that I thought I was on the entertainment board when I clicked this 'meatloaf' thread. You can imagine my surprise.
    B-1 83
    AG
    Never been a catsup/glaze guy on the meatloaf. I'm more of the brown gravy sort.
    farmer2010
    AG
    quote:
    I don't have anything to add other than that I thought I was on the entertainment board when I clicked this 'meatloaf' thread. You can imagine my surprise.

p-wonk01
    AG
    JSKolache
    AG
    Gazillion good recipes out there. Most important thing is to top it with BBQ sauce for some tang. Ketchup is foul.
    Zemira
    AG
    I haven't ever been a fan of meatloaf, but I might have to try Fido's recipe as it sounds good.
    DiskoTroop
    There was a place in Huntsville years ago that searched a meatloaf that had oats in it. The chef claimed its what made it so light and airy. Oh and it was light and airy too. Absolutely the best meat loaf I've ever had.

Fido - every heard of adding some oats to meat loaf?
    biobioprof
    quote:
    There was a place in Huntsville years ago that searched a meatloaf that had oats in it. The chef claimed its what made it so light and airy. Oh and it was light and airy too. Absolutely the best meat loaf I've ever had.

Not Fido, but I used to do that for the filling for Chinese dumplings.

Not surprisingly, Quaker has a recipe.

Edit to add: apparently this is a good option if you want to cook gluten-free.
    B-1 83
    AG
    Making it tonight. I tend to combine multiple recipes. Tonight it has red and green bell peppers plus ample onions. Brown gravy.
    DiskoTroop
    quote:
    quote:

Interested in the dumpling recipe!!! My GF loves dumplings...
    biobioprof
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Interested in the dumpling recipe!!! My GF loves dumplings...
    I confess that nowadays I buy the frozen ones at the asian store, but the homemade ones are better. I used to mix ground pork, finely minced shrimp if I was splurging, minced cabbage, oatmeal, ginger, garlic, scallions, soy and sometimes an egg for the filling. There were probably other random things added if available (water chestnuts? scallions?) - it was years and years ago. I made the skins from flour and water. It takes a long time to roll them out but the thicker skin is better for the fried dumplings, IMO.

This recipe I found online looks similar to what I did. Adding the oatmeal is like using bread in meatloaf, and it absorbs some of the grease/liquid that would leak out otherwise. Plus, I was a poor grad student back then and oatmeal was way cheaper than pork and shrimp!

The flour/water skins were for jiaozi (boiled) or guote (pot stickers). You can use a similar filling with round wonton skins folded into a cup to make shumai (steamed).

Those are all pretty easy. The one I was never able to make are Xia jiao (better known as Har gow in Cantonese) shrimp dumplings. The dough for the skins on those always defeated me. I may have to try this recipe.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.