Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Luling/Lockhart BBQ

4,511 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JYDog90
jsc8116
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Driving back with kids/parents from POrt A to Austin and wanted to make stop in Luling/Lockhart for some BBQ. Is there one that really stands out between, Smittys/Kreutz/Blacks/Chisolm Trail etc our are they pretty much the same?
The Pilot
AG
My vote is Blacks, especially if you are looking for good brisket.
BQ78
AG
Black's
Potcake
AG
Luling City Market
PFG
AG
I also vote City Market, as much for the atmosphere as the hot links and ribs. Brisket tends to be hit or miss.
Martin Cash
AG
Smitty's or Kreuz. Been eating Lockhart BBQ for 60+ years.
JYDog90
AG
But if I want a beef rib in Lockhart, blacks is the place, right?
BrazosBull
AG
Just had lunch today at Smitty's. Simply put, it was not s good experience. Hot as heck standing in line three feet from the fire with no screen or any safety protection. Sausage was OK but " fat" brisket was dry. No forks ! I am a BBQ lover but no more Smitty's for me. Next time I will just make the short drive to Luling and enjoy some great City Market BBQ. Lockhart BBQ ..... I just don't get it. Way over rated IMHO
Matsui
AG
Smittyw
Potcake
AG
Maybe BBQ isn't for you. Too hot and no protection?
Martin Cash
AG
Don't get brisket at Smitty's or Kreuz. When will you learn? Shoulder clod - the original BBQ.
JYDog90
AG
Two buddies of mine and I went to Black's yesterday and were largely unimpressed. Brisket was good. Ribs were tough, both beef and spare. Also need rib didn't have much flavor.
GSPag`

I live in Luling and eat at City Market regularly. It is some of the best I have ever had. They had some changes in the cooks though still in the same family.

Smitty's is great for atmosphere. And they have great sausage. But their brisket is average. I like the rib roast and the clod.
BurnetAggie99
Just keep driving to Taylor and hit Louie Mueller's BBQ.
Potcake
AG
Luling City Market and Louie Muellers are my co-#1. There is no better thing than a Mueller's beef rib.
BurnetAggie99
Huge fan of the Beef Ribs but also the Brisket and Hot Guts Sausage at Mueller's.
BrazosBull
AG
Potcake..... I am not talking about the meat. If you have been to Smitty's you will understand that I am talking about the actual burning wood. It felt like I singed the hair on my legs. I saw children and older seniors within 2 1/2 feet of the fire at floor level. I could only imagine what could happen. Believe me I am not one to normally get concerned about things like this. But this was REALLY dangerous. No way I would take children or seniors and expose them directly to the fire right at your feet.
Martin Cash
AG
quote:
Potcake..... I am not talking about the meat. If you have been to Smitty's you will understand that I am talking about the actual burning wood. It felt like I singed the hair on my legs. I saw children and older seniors within 2 1/2 feet of the fire at floor level. I could only imagine what could happen. Believe me I am not one to normally get concerned about things like this. But this was REALLY dangerous. No way I would take children or seniors and expose them directly to the fire right at your feet.
115 years and no one has ever been hurt. You're really over exaggerating the situation.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

Dude, seriously?
Trident 88
AG
Just popped in to say thanks for the info. I grew up spending my weekends and summers working on my dad's ranches in La Grange, Paige, and Blue (near Lexington). The old teasip took good care of us, but he never treated me to anything better than Bigger's BBQ in Elgin. Today, I am taking my wife and kid to Luling City Market for the first time to see what all the fuss is about.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
Man, I think most people know by a very early age, hot = burn. They walk up to the door and go oohhh thats hot, stay to the left...
JYDog90
AG
quote:

Fireplaces, campfires, space heaters...the horror!
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Just had lunch today at Smitty's. Simply put, it was not s good experience. Hot as heck standing in line three feet from the fire with no screen or any safety protection. Sausage was OK but " fat" brisket was dry. No forks ! I am a BBQ lover but no more Smitty's for me. Next time I will just make the short drive to Luling and enjoy some great City Market BBQ. Lockhart BBQ ..... I just don't get it. Way over rated IMHO
No more overrated than city market in Luling is.
Trident 88
AG
I went to City Market for the 1st time this week. Very good pork ribs, although I was disappointed that they served pork rather than beef.

The brisket was fatty and nothing to write home about. I can get better at lots of places in DFW.

The sausage was utter crap.

I don't see a reason to visit Luling again.

bularry
quote:
I went to City Market for the 1st time this week. Very good pork ribs, although I was disappointed that they served pork rather than beef.

The brisket was fatty and nothing to write home about. I can get better at lots of places in DFW.

The sausage was utter crap.

I don't see a reason to visit Luling again.

good. stay away and eat that awesome DFW bbq. maybe prices will drop since demand will drop from all these criticisms. the horror, fatty brisket!!!!
Trident 88
AG
You need the prices to drop? Frankly, the price was the best part of the meal.

I didn't say the brisket was horrible. It just didn't come close to living up to the hype.
realestateguru
AG
quote:
quote:
No more overrated than city market in Luling is.

Are you kin to Yoda?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
How do any of these places compare to Killens in Pearland?
oldarmy1
AG
At Smitty's now. Kruez grabbed brisket, no sauce unlike CS forced, and it was good. Would be great with sauce...dumb stubborness, wouldn't go there again. Grabbed some Chisolm and it was better, sauce really good.
oldarmy1
AG
OK, so Smitty's brisket was good flavor but DRY. The sauce was good but would not go there again for brisket. Friend I was there with said the ribs are the way to go and bought a rack to go. Didn't try those but after my rounds in Lockhart I can say, without reservation, Austin is much better.
Martin Cash
AG
quote:
OK, so Smitty's brisket was good flavor but DRY. The sauce was good but would not go there again for brisket. Friend I was there with said the ribs are the way to go and bought a rack to go. Didn't try those but after my rounds in Lockhart I can say, without reservation, Austin is much better.
LMFAO
JYDog90
AG
I'm down on Lockhart BBQ.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.