Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Offset stick smoker for the patio...

11,286 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agcrock2005
tlfw378
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
...but I wouldn't put a drop box smoker on my patio. It would be in my yard away from the house. YMMV.
What's a drop box smoker? Is that a gravity feed?

No...I didn't use the correct term. I meant offset.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
...but I wouldn't put a drop box smoker on my patio. It would be in my yard away from the house. YMMV.
What's a drop box smoker? Is that a gravity feed?

No...I didn't use the correct term. I meant offset.

Ah I understand, and yeah I would agree with you on that. I only have an offset on my trailer smoker and use it in my driveway away from the house.
Canyon99
I've had multiple stick burners over the years as I was in love with the thought and getting up early in the morning and starting my fire. All were seriously well built but it took me quality time to determine how to regulate the temp on them. I finally decided that I didn't quite enjoy sitting in 100+ temps during June -September babysitting them all day. Don't get me wrong I miss getting the fire started and all the beer that came with this process. I'm picking up a Pitmaker Safe insulated smoker before football season starts. No doubt it is going to take me time to figure it out but once I'm at that point I will actually enjoy being able to leave the meat and trust that the temp isn't out of control while I'm gone.
tlfw378
AG
Careful Canyon...you are going to get roped into honey - do this, honey - do that will all your free time...:
aggiebq03+
quote:
I love to go off in another direction from what the OP initially requests. Look at a Pitmaker Safe smoker.

Definately can't go wrong with Pitmaker Safe.
Got mine earlier this year and love this thing.

aggiebq03+
You'll love the Pitmaker.
Another pic of mine before I got help moving it to the back yard.

Joe Exotic
AG
Man up and roll that thing through the living room and tell your wife to suck it.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
Man up and roll that thing through the living room and tell your wife to suck it.
LOL, that's what happened when I built my Big Green Egg table. But the conversation was more along the lines of "pretty please baby???"
aggiebq03+
quote:

It's too big to fit.
JYDog90
AG
Anybody used one of these tip top temp controls for their egg/Akorn/primo/etc?

www.tiptoptemp.com
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
Anybody used one of these tip top temp controls for their egg/Akorn/primo/etc?

www.tiptoptemp.com
Wow very cool! At that price I would definitely give it a shot. I was already given a flameboss that works wonders so I am out, but maybe on my next Kettle or Kamado... *saving link now*
HTownAg98
Since it is a bi-metal control, it is no more accurate than your oven thermostat, which can easily be off +/- 50 degrees. Plus, at least on a Weber kettle, you should be controlling temperature primarily through the bottom damper, not the top damper. I'll pass.
letters at random
Well, I bought an XL egg off a guy on Craigslist. I've had a 14 pound brisket on it since 10:00 last night. It's almost to 203.
aggiebq03+
Post some pics when it's done.
Duncan Idaho
What the hell?
letters at random
I got talked into it. The brisket is good, but I need work. It's a little too bitter, and I should have used choice instead of select. Some parts of the flat are too dry. Also, I need work trimming it. Way too much fat still on it, so I lost too much bark.

I'm still going to get an off-set, but I decided I would use an egg even after I got an off-set.
letters at random
[image]http://m.imgur.com/gallery/eteMV[/image]

I really need to learn to do pics someday.
JYDog90
AG
looks good!
agcrock2005
AG
Last couple I've done I've separated flat and point so that I can control each individually and they've been great. Flat has stayed very moist, especially when injected. Faked several people out who asked for moist and I gave them flat.
Canyon99
quote:
You'll love the Pitmaker.
Another pic of mine before I got help moving it to the back yard.

Looks good with the maroon paint. I wondered what it would look like but went with gloss black to be safe.
Shumba
AG
I've used the Tip Top Temp on my Big Steel Keg and it works great. I have both a stick burner and the BSK as well as a Weber Genesis on my back porch. I just bough the BSK off Craigslist earlier this year, and I wish I would have bought it ten years ago. I know everyone on TA are pro BGE, and I have quite a few friends who have them, but I really like the BSK (now called the Broil King Keg) due to the metal construction and the fact that I can mount it on my trailer hitch. It is great as a smoker, and a charcoal grill.

I'd highly recommend the newer version to anyone who wants a great, versatile grill. I just got it repainted, and thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

https://instagr.am/p/BKAJXX6gPQE
kurt vonnegut
AG
quote:
I got talked into it. The brisket is good, but I need work. It's a little too bitter, and I should have used choice instead of select. Some parts of the flat are too dry. Also, I need work trimming it. Way too much fat still on it, so I lost too much bark.

I'm still going to get an off-set, but I decided I would use an egg even after I got an off-set.

Congrats on the egg / welcome to the club .

What type of wood did you use when you smoked it? Did you wrap it for the last few hours? How long did it rest? Too much smoke or the wrong kind can give it a weird bitter-ish taste sometimes. Also, I'd go with the prime if it's available and affordable in Arkansas. Costco usually has it at about $3.5/lb to $4/lb here.
Potcake
AG
I have had my Olde Tyme smoker for 15 years. They are made in Uvalde.
SumAggie
I used to think I had to have an offset. Did my research and bought a WSM. Have never regretted it!
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Also, I'd go with the prime if it's available and affordable in Arkansas. Costco usually has it at about $3.5/lb to $4/lb here.
I'm in DFW and it's consistently $2.99/lb at Costco.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.